Thread: FA nib in the 823??

Thanks

Default FA nib in the 823??

so I see that there's a company selling pilot custom 823's with FA nibs. I'm wondering if I could buy a FA nib, as I already have a custom 823 and simply pop it into the pen.?? My medium nib currently on the pen is amazingly smooth, but as some of you may know, it runs a little on the bread side (really odd for a Japanese pen)

Thanks

Default Re: FA nib in the 823??

Yes you can, but to get the #15 FA nib, you'll have to buy a 743 and steal that nib. I guess you could try to buy someone's loose nib as well, but that seems unrealistic. Flexible Nib Factory also sells ebonite feeds for the 743/823 in 2 or 3 channel varieties.

Thanks

Thanks. Why not the #10? And I think I found one on ebay but I don't think it's the right one. Here's the link
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Falco...Cclp%3A2334524

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Thanks. Why not the #10? And I think I found one on ebay but I don't think it's the right one. Here's the link
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-Falco...Cclp%3A2334524
    The 823 has a #15 size nib. And, from what I remember, the Falcon nib is it's own unique thing. If you buy that falcon nib unit and try to put it in your 823, you are probably going to have a bad time.

Thanks

Ok so the nib in the link is a falcon, just not the number 15. But the 743 comes with a #15 FA nib?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Ok so the nib in the link is a falcon, just not the number 15. But the 743 comes with a #15 FA nib?

Yeah, so there's some confusing things with Pilot in this regard. The FA nib and the Falcon are two completely different things. The FA nib is offered in a few different sizes and subsequently, models from Pilot. The FA nib looks like a traditional flex type nib with cutouts on the sides.
    The Falcon is a pen with a "soft" gold nib. As far as I know, I the Falcon is its own thing and pieces and parts are not swappable with other models. I could be wrong here, hopefully someone else with more Falcon knowledge will chime in.
    To get an FA nib for your 823, you would either have to order it that way from Quill, or purchase a 743 with the FA nib separately, and then swap the nib in to your 823.
    I have looked in to this a bit, and was close to pulling the trigger, but I didn't care for the 823 in my hand. It's on to a new home now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

This blog post can help clear up some of the confusion over Pilot nib sizes and models:

https://kmpn.blogspot.com/2011/06/pilot-custom.html?m=1

As far as I know, Tokyo Quill in Japan is the only authorized Pilot dealer allowed too sell the 823 with the FA nib. Also, the WA nib.

I wanted an 823 with a PO nib. I had to buy a 743 with the PO and swap it with the F in the 823. Didn't see any other practical or realistic way.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (March 2nd, 2021), FrankenBeanzzz (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Tokyo quill is no longer allowed to swap nibs and sell "FA" nibs - or at least this was the case officially last time I checked. I read Pilot clamped down on them.

I would drop them an e-mail regardless. They're pricy and the import fees were painful, but I got a *perfect* pen from them. They check the nib, ink flow, etc. My pen from them actually came so good, I haven't bought a single pen since ~2 years ago when I bought this from them.

Other info in this thread is correct otherwise - there's a "falcon" pen with a "soft" nib, there's the pilot custom 912 with #10 FA (falcon) nib, then there's the pilot custom heritage 743 with #15 FA (falcon) nib. The custom 823 is not sold with an FA nib, however the nibs are both #15 size and interchangable between 743 and 823.

The only way of going about it is buying an 823 and 743 and exchange nibs. Tokyo Pen Shop Quill does / did this for you and sold you the 823 directly with an FA nib.

From my experience when I was in Japan and was able to test all of these pens out is that falcon (pen) is not really that great, however the 912 has superb flexibility, but railroad issues. The #15 nib I have on my 823 is a bit less flexible than the 912 FA nib, but never railroads on me. I currently have both the 912 FA and 823 FA and I strongly prefer my 823 FA over the 912 FA. Yes, it's a little less flexible, but it never ever has any hard start or railroading issues.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

FrankenBeanzzz (November 11th, 2020), spencerwilli (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks

The #10 size FA is supposed to have a little more flex than the #15. I don’t know if that’s true because i only have the #10, but that’s the rumor. Once you replace the plastic feed with an ebonite one, the railroading goes away.

I think the 742/743 are perfectly fine pens, feed excepted. There are enough disadvantages to the vac filler to make the hassle of getting the nib you want in it not worth the effort.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (March 2nd, 2021), FrankenBeanzzz (November 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Great. Thank to everyone for their feedback. I put an email out to the Tokyo quill company. As o f now they’re “out of stock” on the 823 with the FA nibs, but maybe they’ll sell just the nib.

If anyone knows anyone selling the right nib then PLEASE send them my way!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    The #10 size FA is supposed to have a little more flex than the #15. I don’t know if that’s true because i only have the #10, but that’s the rumor. Once you replace the plastic feed with an ebonite one, the railroading goes away.

I think the 742/743 are perfectly fine pens, feed excepted. There are enough disadvantages to the vac filler to make the hassle of getting the nib you want in it not worth the effort.
    I have read about issues with the 823/743 plastic feed many times, however I have the opposite experience. Absolutely no issues, works perfectly all the time on mine. From my personal experience, what you say about better flexibility of #10 nib is true.

I have to agree with your comment about VAC filling system. It was cool when I first got it, but after years of having to unscrew the back every time I want to write with it, it's becoming tedious. I'm looking in the MB149 flex nib direction nowadays.

Thanks

Well, I have a man MB 149 for sale with a nib that’s soft. Not the flex nib though. PM me if interested. Maybe we can work out a trade of some sort

Thanks

Thanks, but I'm not willing to part with my Custom 823. I'm also looking at the relatively new release from MB, the 149 in their calligraphy line of pens.

Thanks

You can also acquire all pilot, if not most specialties I think from Stylo Art - though it comes at a premium craftsmanship and cost (You have to purchase a pen, but they will fit any pilot nib into their models)
    Last edited by sworist; November 11th, 2020 at 05:03 PM.
    -NK

u/sworist

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sworist For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (November 15th, 2020)