Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

Thread: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Hello,

    Note that this was for the purchase of a watch, but IguanaSell offers high end pens, namely Namiki and Nakaya so I felt it was warranted to describe my experience here.


    I originally made a mistake: I was looking for the Junghans 100th Jahre Bauhaus chronoscope. The 2020 max bill Chronoscope has the same coloring, but with red dials and date. I mistook the 2020 max bill for the 100th Jahre Bauhaus, so I ordered to 2020 max bill. After the order confirmation, I realized my mistake. I emailed IguanaSell for a cancellation (including the reason) - since they do not have a automated system. A prompt reply came saying that Iguanasell would be cancelling the order (customer service email, not a actual cancellation)- but they asked me what the reason for my cancellation was when I had clearly stated it in the original request.

    I replied saying the reason again (I mistook the watch), IguanaSell replied asking me if I would switch my order to another limited edition. I said I was not interested and I asked IguanaSell to cancel my order again.

    The final reply was "We are sorry we can't get the Junghans 100 anymore. It was a limited edition and we can't get it anymore . If you want to change it we can help you.". ..... which did not mention the cancellation of my order

    It has been several days since then, and I was wondering why my order was still not canceled (in fact a email came saying that IguanaSell was preparing my order!) so I asked Iguanasell why this was the case through their chat feature, but all that was said was "It will be canceled soon".

    Today (7 days since the original cancellation confirmation by customer service), I sent Iguanasell a email saying if the order was not cancelled by Friday I would be escalating to a paypal dispute.


    While IguanaSell has always responded to my messages within 24 hours (1 business day), I am confounded as to why they keep delaying the cancellation and the refund of my order.

    I will not be looking at IguanaSell for products and advise you to do your research before purchasing from them as well.


    Edit: After I reached out by email, writing a review here among other things the refund was processed within 13 hours. IguanaSell has made things right and while their communication was confusing at times they have always replied promptly. Make of it what you will. Here is the response email I received.

    "First of all, thank you for the patience shown.

    We already have proceeded with the cancellation and the refund, but due to the high occupancy season we have a slight delay with managing inquiries.

    At Iguana Sell we do mind the prompt responses and the customer service. This being said, our colleagues will work in extra shifts in order to get everything solved as soon as possible.

    In the meantime, do not hesitate to contact us for further questions or help. We will be glad to help. "
    Last edited by sworist; November 12th, 2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Deleted comment about other reviews on other platforms
    -NK

    u/sworist

  2. #2
    Senior Member carlos.q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On a hill in Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,474
    Thanks
    1,659
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 619 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    From my point of view the lack of adequate or timely communication from a country that has adopted strict quarantine and lockdown procedures to confront a health crisis should not be interpreted as disinterest. I would suggest that a little patience, and giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, will go a long way.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    From my point of view the lack of adequate or timely communication from a country that has adopted strict quarantine and lockdown procedures to confront a health crisis should not be interpreted as disinterest. I would suggest that a little patience, and giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, will go a long way.
    Carlos, They have always been responsive - when I email or send them a "chat" they have responded within 24 hours as per the original post.

    What I do not understand is their deflection of the cancellation, the offering of other products when I clearly state I am not interested, and their refusal to give a solid timeline (eg you will get a cancellation email by Friday the 24th)

    In fact, I think many excuses can be had with the covid-19 situation: if IguanaSell told me upfront: "We are sorry, but your order can take up to two to three weeks to cancel because of our reduced capacity workforce and health safety measures" I would be understanding but their disregard for my asking of cancellation in their replies makes me think of this as a Iguana issue, not a COVID 19 issue

    At the end of the day, I was not satisfied with their service, and other retailers like Goulet, Goldspot, Nibs have never given me issues like this, so I will be staying away.

    Edit: also sending a email saying your order is getting ready after being asked (and confirming by email!) for a cancellation is rather puzzling.
    Last edited by sworist; November 11th, 2020 at 02:10 PM.
    -NK

    u/sworist

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to sworist For This Useful Post:

    carlos.q (November 11th, 2020)

  5. #4
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,961
    Thanks
    1,013
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 1,963 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    What is the deadline for initiating a PayPal dispute these days?

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 288 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    I have purchased many, too many things from them. A watch or two, a dozen of pens or so, twice as many inks. Every single time the pens I received were showing signs of being already used; scratches and other marks. The watch came severely scratched up. So bad in fact, I said to myself I'm never buying from them again.

    I kinda fell in love with that shipping time, 48 hours from clicking buy to having it in my hands. Later on this too changed to weeks and they completely lost my business.

    I hope you get it sorted.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

    Detman101 (November 12th, 2020), sworist (November 11th, 2020)

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    @Fred
    I think it is 160 or 180 days, not too sure.

    It's just baffling to me. I've never had a place that delays canceling a order especially after confirming they will cancel it.

    It's not like they stop responding, but they refuse to acknowledge "please cancel my order" in emails, and instead say "If you want to change it (the order) we can help you"
    -NK

    u/sworist

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 49 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I have purchased many, too many things from them. A watch or two, a dozen of pens or so, twice as many inks. Every single time the pens I received were showing signs of being already used; scratches and other marks. The watch came severely scratched up. So bad in fact, I said to myself I'm never buying from them again.

    I kinda fell in love with that shipping time, 48 hours from clicking buy to having it in my hands. Later on this too changed to weeks and they completely lost my business.

    I hope you get it sorted.
    Hopefully you had some sort of compensation. They have a solid rating on google and other places, but I did not dig enough before making the purchase. Lesson Learned.
    -NK

    u/sworist

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 288 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    The damage on pens was typically minor, so I didn't bother. The watch came with a hefty discount, though it was still sold to me as new. I'm not really the type of person to stir up a ruckus, I just turned away instead.

  11. #9
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 166 Times in 84 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    We all have our own opinions on naming and shaming, especially when the organisation is not involved in the discussion.

    The business has been trading since 2007 with a great many positive reviews. Without knowing what is happening inside the business I don't think it is right to condemn the business.

    Have you tried calling them? Or used Facebook contact?

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,702
    Thanks
    932
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    We all have our own opinions on naming and shaming, especially when the organisation is not involved in the discussion.

    The business has been trading since 2007 with a great many positive reviews. Without knowing what is happening inside the business I don't think it is right to condemn the business.

    Have you tried calling them? Or used Facebook contact?
    I actually appreciate the OP. This is exactly the kind of info that I appreciate having, in the same way my neighbor and I might exchange info on experiences with local plumbers. We all know that it is just one person's experience. And he also wrote simply to be cautious and do research before buying from them. There are no "condemnations" here, as you say. It's just some anecdotal information about a company that he has actually otherwise had good business with. I've never bought from them, so I appreciate the info, for what it's worth, and that from the other posters as well.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    ethernautrix (November 12th, 2020)

  14. #11
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 166 Times in 84 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    We all have our own opinions on naming and shaming, especially when the organisation is not involved in the discussion.

    The business has been trading since 2007 with a great many positive reviews. Without knowing what is happening inside the business I don't think it is right to condemn the business.

    Have you tried calling them? Or used Facebook contact?
    I actually appreciate the OP. This is exactly the kind of info that I appreciate having, in the same way my neighbor and I might exchange info on experiences with local plumbers. We all know that it is just one person's experience. And he also wrote simply to be cautious and do research before buying from them. There are no "condemnations" here, as you say. It's just some anecdotal information about a company that he has actually otherwise had good business with. I've never bought from them, so I appreciate the info, for what it's worth, and that from the other posters as well.
    I have bought from Iguana Sell and very happy with the service. I have made a call to them and suggested that take an interest in this thread.

    As I said, we all have a view on naming and shaming, your view is different to mine Sherbs unless the possibly guilty party is involved with the discussion. There have been a number of situations in the past on FPG where a potentially damaging allegation is made and less that half of the true facts have been presented.

    This thread has a whiff of sour grapes/revenge more than a reminder of caveat emptor.

    Suggest we wait and see if Iguana Sell makes a response thereby giving an explanation from their perspective as to the dispute.

    For example, I have recently been involved in an online purchase that was not fit for purpose. The item was paid for by a credit card. The seller said that a refund had been given to the credit card, which was not backed up by the credit card company. After a week, I called the company and they again confirmed that a refund had been given. it turned out that the card company ( the largest in the world) was giving low priority to refunds and the seller was blame free. It would have been a simple matter for me to have gone on social media accusing the seller of poor service and possibly damaging their excellent service history.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

    Seattleite (December 2nd, 2020)

  16. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,702
    Thanks
    932
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 625 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    We all have our own opinions on naming and shaming, especially when the organisation is not involved in the discussion.

    The business has been trading since 2007 with a great many positive reviews. Without knowing what is happening inside the business I don't think it is right to condemn the business.

    Have you tried calling them? Or used Facebook contact?
    I actually appreciate the OP. This is exactly the kind of info that I appreciate having, in the same way my neighbor and I might exchange info on experiences with local plumbers. We all know that it is just one person's experience. And he also wrote simply to be cautious and do research before buying from them. There are no "condemnations" here, as you say. It's just some anecdotal information about a company that he has actually otherwise had good business with. I've never bought from them, so I appreciate the info, for what it's worth, and that from the other posters as well.
    I have bought from Iguana Sell and very happy with the service. I have made a call to them and suggested that take an interest in this thread.

    As I said, we all have a view on naming and shaming, your view is different to mine Sherbs unless the possibly guilty party is involved with the discussion. There have been a number of situations in the past on FPG where a potentially damaging allegation is made and less that half of the true facts have been presented.

    This thread has a whiff of sour grapes/revenge more than a reminder of caveat emptor.

    Suggest we wait and see if Iguana Sell makes a response thereby giving an explanation from their perspective as to the dispute.

    For example, I have recently been involved in an online purchase that was not fit for purpose. The item was paid for by a credit card. The seller said that a refund had been given to the credit card, which was not backed up by the credit card company. After a week, I called the company and they again confirmed that a refund had been given. it turned out that the card company ( the largest in the world) was giving low priority to refunds and the seller was blame free. It would have been a simple matter for me to have gone on social media accusing the seller of poor service and possibly damaging their excellent service history.
    "Potentially damaging" remarks? You kidding? Are you opposed to the idea of reviews? Are you opposed to the principle of community feedback? Do you work for this company in question? There are dozens of maker and seller and distributor review threads here, and not everyone is pleased with the service they have received. Whatever you "whiff" here might be your own bias toward the issue.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    ethernautrix (November 12th, 2020)

  18. #13
    Senior Member RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 166 Times in 84 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    We all have our own opinions on naming and shaming, especially when the organisation is not involved in the discussion.

    The business has been trading since 2007 with a great many positive reviews. Without knowing what is happening inside the business I don't think it is right to condemn the business.

    Have you tried calling them? Or used Facebook contact?
    I actually appreciate the OP. This is exactly the kind of info that I appreciate having, in the same way my neighbor and I might exchange info on experiences with local plumbers. We all know that it is just one person's experience. And he also wrote simply to be cautious and do research before buying from them. There are no "condemnations" here, as you say. It's just some anecdotal information about a company that he has actually otherwise had good business with. I've never bought from them, so I appreciate the info, for what it's worth, and that from the other posters as well.
    I have bought from Iguana Sell and very happy with the service. I have made a call to them and suggested that take an interest in this thread.

    As I said, we all have a view on naming and shaming, your view is different to mine Sherbs unless the possibly guilty party is involved with the discussion. There have been a number of situations in the past on FPG where a potentially damaging allegation is made and less that half of the true facts have been presented.

    This thread has a whiff of sour grapes/revenge more than a reminder of caveat emptor.

    Suggest we wait and see if Iguana Sell makes a response thereby giving an explanation from their perspective as to the dispute.

    For example, I have recently been involved in an online purchase that was not fit for purpose. The item was paid for by a credit card. The seller said that a refund had been given to the credit card, which was not backed up by the credit card company. After a week, I called the company and they again confirmed that a refund had been given. it turned out that the card company ( the largest in the world) was giving low priority to refunds and the seller was blame free. It would have been a simple matter for me to have gone on social media accusing the seller of poor service and possibly damaging their excellent service history.
    "Potentially damaging" remarks? You kidding? Are you opposed to the idea of reviews? Are you opposed to the principle of community feedback? Do you work for this company in question? There are dozens of maker and seller and distributor review threads here, and not everyone is pleased with the service they have received. Whatever you "whiff" here might be your own bias toward the issue.


    Yes I am opposed to Naming and Shaming without the full facts.

    I do not work for this company in question.

    We do not have the full facts. If Iguana Sell are guilty then fine, the OP is correct to accuse, name and shame but there has been a long history with other sellers and repairers that show how unusual it is for all the blame to be on one party alone.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; November 12th, 2020 at 05:13 AM.

  19. #14
    Senior Member Johnny_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 68 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Seems to be a lot of fuss over not very much if ASD's interpretation is correct and not enough to justify the bad press on a long established business.

  20. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norwich UK
    Posts
    984
    Thanks
    1,982
    Thanked 672 Times in 373 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Sounds rather as if with Covid IguanaSell may have tried to get someone to help out who wasn't really clued up and didn't tell the regular people what they were doing. I know I've been in touch with a couple of businesses and heard that they'd had to use contract or temporary staff and things weren't being done quite right. And if you're having to use teleworking staff as well it can get quite tricky.

    One brewery had a cask of beer go missing for a while... unfortunately it didn't come in my direction :-) had just been sent to the wrong pub and wasn't checked on delivery.

  21. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 288 Times in 166 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    A Smug Dill, I'm just not the type of person to want to argue. If something isn't great in a restaurant I never say anything, I simply never return.

    That said, two particular items do come in mind where I complained; aurora nebulosa limited edition pen which came with the worst nib I have ever seen, I would honestly be able to literally chisel out a better nib with a butter knife. I told them about it (I ordered an italic nib and - I am not exagerating - it was cut like a bad architect nib, so the cut was perpendicular to what it should have been + it would not write at all) and they told me that it's me and that the pen is fine. I took it to the forums and I was told Aurora can do no wrong and that it must be my fault for not understanding the pen. I'm sure you can still dig out my posts and pictures about it here and on FPN, should you be interested enough.

    I have/had over 50-60 mid to high end fountain pens in my life (and countless cheapies), I have been using them for nearly 25 years, and I have had all grinds out there, be it flex, all sizes EF-3B, italic, oblique, architect, all of them. I am absolutely confident I was right and I was made an idiot out of, both in the community and by Iguana Sell. They did refund me in the end, however.

    When I ordered the watch I told them just how badly scratched up it is, they told me "at least you got a good discount on it". I left it at that and I am done with them, even though I was such a frequent customer there some of the employees recognized me by name and even knew what kind of collection of pens I have (they asked me how is my collection of Lamys and Pelikans looking half a year after purchasing several of them).

    I don't know, perhaps I just had bad luck, but that has been my experience. I am not lying.

    Without looking it up I can tell from my memory I got badly damaged Aurora Nebulosa (refunded), Pelikan R800 Stresseman (accepted), Lamy 2000 50th anniversary amber (replaced), Laco Memmingen watch (accepted), 2 pilot vanishing points (replaced twice, upon which I just gave up). There's more, but this is just off the top of my head.

    I do recall the Pelikan M800 Stresseman and Lamy 2000 SS came absolutely perfect, so I don't talk only negatives.

  22. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 139 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    I could not agree more about reporting one's experiences. This is not the first time I have stated this here.........
    However, I also think it is critically important that both sides be provided an opportunity to describe the facts, as they understand them.
    To that end, I am glad that someone has alerted IguanaSell about this thread. Having dealt with them many times, I would hope and expect they will respond with a post in this thread.

    I'm not about to try and speculate who is right and who is wrong without hearing both sides of the story.

    I was one of IguanaSell's first US based customers. Over the years, my experiences with IguanaSell have been extraordinarily good. As good as, if not better, than with any other online pen seller worldwide. They not only have never disappointed me, they have usually exceeded my expectations. Yes, there have been some glitches along the way; I acquired an ST Dupont pen from them a few years ago that had a tiny, almost unnoticeable chip in its Chinese lacquer. When I reported it to them I received a very lovely and apologetic response within the hour. I was offered return with an immediate full refund of every penny I had paid or the opportunity to keep it and receive an immediate 50% refund of my purchase price.

    Nothing I have seen in any of the posts in this thread would dissuade me from placing an order with them right now, today.
    Last edited by 724Seney; November 12th, 2020 at 09:59 AM.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Johnny_S (November 12th, 2020)

  24. #18
    Senior Member Johnny_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 68 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    I can remember when a regular poster on here sold a pen through their website. The buyer was less than impressed with the state of the pen as it was received and they expected much more by the description of the pen, they reported how they felt and their disappointment, they named and shamed the seller.

    Almost every poster on here truned on the buyer for naming and shaming and how inappropriate it was.

  25. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 139 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I can remember when a regular poster on here sold a pen through their website. The buyer was less than impressed with the state of the pen as it was received and they expected much more by the description of the pen, they reported how they felt and their disappointment, they named and shamed the seller.

    Almost every poster on here truned on the buyer for naming and shaming and how inappropriate it was.
    Capricious, baseless "naming & shaming" is wrong and to be condemned.
    So is the blind defense of someone just because they are a friend or well known FPN member.

    I have been shocked with some of the reckless naming and shaming I have seen here.
    And, likewise by the pushback and/or excuses some folks here will offer when a well known seller / fellow member / friend is reported by someone to have done a poor job with a sale.

    Every story has (at least) two sides to it. It is my opinion that this Forum does everyone a favor... and no one a disservice.... by permitting a grievance to be aired and allowing / expecting it to be responded to in kind.

    If there is to be a rule about such posts, I would suggest that it be an expectation the posts are fact / evidence based and not contain personal attacks or character assassinations. Given a descriptive, fact based contribution by each party with ample opportunity for additional, fact based, follow-up responses, each member can then decide for themselves whether or not the grievance has merit.

    In my mind, this is a better way to go than to just turning a blind eye to something which was wrong. And definitely an improvement over the significant inconsistency we see here when a grievance is aired. Right now some such posts result in quite a bit of discussion and others get immediately shut down because the claim is made by someone that "we don't name and shame here."

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    RobJohnson (November 13th, 2020)

  27. #20
    Senior Member ethernautrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Land of Po
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks
    1,585
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 521 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: IguanaSell - a weird customer service experience

    In don't understand the big deal about "naming and shaming." After all, what happens? Discussion. The issue balances out, more or less, in the scolding stage. People are quick to correct.


    I don't see the problem.
    Last edited by ethernautrix; November 12th, 2020 at 11:41 AM.
    _____________
    To Miasto

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •