Thread: Rare and Exotic Sheaffer Fineline boxed set in Precious Resin and Gold! Bonus Bottle!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

Default Rare and Exotic Sheaffer Fineline boxed set in Precious Resin and Gold! Bonus Bottle!

For your consideration is a fabulously presented vintage Sheaffer Fineline pencil and fountain pen set constructed in luxurious yellow gold tone and precious resin. Enjoy writing, with STYLE, while using only the finest in materials and workmanship from a bygone era!

The set comes in the original natural composite gift box embossed with a sumptuous barleycorn pattern and is layered with a unique patina that only the passage of time can produce. The pens are cradled in comfort and displayed with panache on a bed of white and gold with contrasting black elastic loops that screams vintage 40's haute couture. A gift for a visiting foreign dignitary? A bonus for closing the deal of the century? The imagination runs wild with the possibilities this striking set conjures up.

The pencil is in working order. It appears to be a fairly large diameter lead. I would estimate 1mm or so. There is lead in the pencil's twist mechanism and it is ready to write. Upon dis-assembly I discovered an intact eraser and three additional lead rods inside the pencil. The pencil was used quite a bit judging from the condition. There were many deep scratches and marks on the body which I buffed out. The clip is also a bit deranged and loose. Judging by the direction of the marks on the barrel and the bent clip, the pencil was obviously used to pick handcuffs and dispatch several guards in close hand to pencil combat. Perhaps we can deduce this pencil was owned by a spy who owed his survival to this very pencil. How exciting!

The pen is of the fountain variety and is in perfect working order. Upon dis-assembly I discovered nary a trace of ink inside. It was completely and utterly clean and devoid of any use. The pen is practically brand new! The sac had shriveled like a red shirted away team member aboard the USS Enterprise. I removed the old sac and installed a new one using period correct methods and materials. Only the finest in rubber sac, shellac and talc were used along with cursing appropriate to the era of the pen. It is a little known fact that cursing in period correct slang is crucial to the successful restoration of vintage writing equipment. Only the true masters of the craft have knowledge of all requisite cursing needed to return a pen to it's original glory. I did omit one step in my restoration. The factory placed a small amount of shellac on the section before installing it into the pen body. I did not do this step because the section fits quite snugly without the shellac. I did not want the pen to become impossible to dis-assemble in another four to five decades when the next rubber sac is installed. Damage can occur to the precious resin when attempting to remove a shellaced section. I am thinking ahead to the future when your grandchildren attempt to restore this pen they lovingly remember you using.

I inked up the pen by filling it with the lever in a bottle of Diamine Florida Blue and proceeded to write out four full pages of the most brilliant dissertation you have ever seen concerning a quick brown fox and a dog he seemed fond of jumping over. Sadly it was lost in an avalanche of Rhodia and Diamine when I opened my closet to retrieve a tophat for my lobster. Rest assured the pen writes beautifully and glides along the paper like an overturned tanker truck of baby oil across a marble flooring factory. According to information found on the internet (everyone knows if it's on the internet it's true) the steel 343 is defined as a "medium" nib. However, to my keen and carefully honed eye it appears to be more of a european fine than an american medium, perhaps it's more of a japanese medium if you're into that kind of thing, but to me it's a fine. It nib has no flex, which is highly over rated in my opinion. All those sloppy, out of control loopy writers with their reckless and conspicuous consumption of ink! This pen is the noble statesman of ink efficiency. It will slowly and carefully sip only the smallest amount of ink needed to transfer your thought to paper in a delightfully slick and smooth manner.

Also included, as a bonus to the fine connoisseur considering this pen, is a vintage Sheaffer Skrip writing fluid bottle. Skrip. Successor to ink. The box proudly proclaims it's superiority to plain old ink. You can either keep the bottle in it's current patina'ed form for your personal ink shrine or clean it out and use it with your favorite modern ink! The bottle was designed with a brillant feature: There is a small shelf built into the top of the bottle. As the ink gets low in the bottle and you can no longer fill your pen, a simple inversion of the bottle while closed would fill the small shelf, allowing you to use the remaining ink the bottle. BRILLANT. FORWARD THINKING SHEER GENIUS! I only know of a few manufacturers today that have even thought of doing this. Aackerman and TWSBI come to mind right away but these are modern companies using modern technology. The Sheaffer bottle was way ahead of it's time and I am including it free of charge with this fine luxury writing set!

I will ship USPS Priority in an oversized box so full of packing material you'll swear my last name is Goulet.
    I am asking a paltry $75 for this incredible and functional luxury writing instrument set from yesteryear!

Please examine these photos as my words alone can not describe the awesomeness of this set:

The Set:

The Bottle:

Ink Shelf Detail:

Lovely dried ink patina:

The Pen and Pencil:

The deranged pencil clip:

Pen Nib Detail:

Pen Imprint Detail:

Pen Lever Detail:

Pen Cap Detail

Writing Sample:

Thanks for Looking!!!!
    Last edited by 00Photo; July 12th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

gwgtaylor (July 14th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Rare and Exotic Sheaffer Fineline boxed set in Precious Resin and Gold! Bonus Bot

"Rare and exotic"? "Precious resin"?

Umm...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Default Re: Rare and Exotic Sheaffer Fineline boxed set in Precious Resin and Gold! Bonus Bot

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    "Rare and exotic"? "Precious resin"?

Umm...
    Indeed, an interesting write up.

Seller, when you say luxurious gold, you do mean gold platting, right?
    Dave

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's luxurious gold coloring. lol. The "Fineline" collection wasn't exactly the flagship collection.

I would also happily trade for a vintage flex of any sort.

When writing that I spoke it aloud in my best shopNBC presenter voice.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

Mesu (July 16th, 2013), Tracy Lee (July 13th, 2013)

Thanks

Trade for an Esterbrook Desk Pen? Offers?

Thanks

The set doesn't suit me but I really enjoyed reading about it. :-)

MisterBoll

Quote Originally Posted by gwgtaylor View Post
    The set doesn't suit me but I really enjoyed reading about it. :-)
    As did I. It was fun.

The laughter died at the "there is no flex at all" line.

Thanks

Great sales pitch..

My classifieds look like html code