Thread: Parker 51 Aero Mk3 - no clip/clip ring

Thanks

Default Parker 51 Aero Mk3 - no clip/clip ring

Hi folks,

Got back into fountain pens a year back, with a couple of Lamy pens (an Al-star and a Safari) that I have loved using since and found them to be very reliable, much more than the Parker pens I have had for years. That said (may have just offended half the forum, sorry!), I have had an old pen in a drawer for many years now, I think it was my Granddad's. I got it out the other day to see if I could clean it up and get it working, and found that it is a Parker 51. This meant nothing to me, but I have since found that it is a classic pen and held in some esteem.
    Parker51.png
    After taking it apart, breaking the breather tube in the process (solid with ink so not much use anyway), and cleaning it all up to some degree, I spent last night finding out which variant it was - it appears to be (correct me if I'm wrong), a Mark III with a rolled gold cap. The end of the barrel is pointed, the clutch ring is narrow and serves no purpose, and the end of the sac guard is metal not plastic, which I think marks it out as a Mk3. As you can see, the cap has sadly no clip or top to it, which means the finger clutch is loose and usually stays fixed to the pen when the cap comes off.
    Parker 51 cap.png
    Although the pen is not particularly valuable, what with the cap being somewhat scratched, and having the ubiquitous black hood and barrel, I'd like to somehow repair it for use myself - it seems to write nicely, and it seems breather tubes are easily available. What I can't find though is any type of clip/top for it, unless I buy a whole cap off Ebay, and even then I don't know whether I could take the cap apart for the pieces I need (I gather a gold filled clip and gold top would be needed to go with the rolled gold cap). Can anyone give me an idea whether this is possible should I decide to do this?

Otherwise I'd just be happy with something to screw into the top of the cap to keep the cap assembly together, though I'd assume the jeweled screws that you see for earlier versions would not be the required size, as I believe the Mk 3 is narrower at the top of the cap than other versions. Any ideas gratefully received
    Last edited by mike_maple; November 13th, 2020 at 02:25 PM. Reason: New Pic

Thanks

Default Re: Parker 51 Aero Mk3 - no clip/clip ring

You should be able to get the cap parts you need from Ernesto at www.parker51.com, or at least he'll have some ideas. Anderson pens have the breather tubes (it was metal? The later 51s sometimes have plastic?). Just be sure that you can get the end of the broken one out of the feed. 51s are great to work on if you have a tad of mechanical sympathy, and with the history of this pen, it would be so satisfying to get it back in order!

Ralf

Thanks

Default Re: Parker 51 Aero Mk3 - no clip/clip ring

Thanks Ralf - yes the tube was plastic, but thankfully it broke roughly in half, so easy to remove. Hopefully a metal replacement should fit?

Had a look at Ernesto's parts, and he doesn't list anything like that - unless that's something he keeps anyway. I should have mentioned I live in the UK, so I've been mainly looking at UK suppliers, though any that will post out is fine. Since posting the above funnily enough, I have found a listing for a Mark 3 clip, although it doesn't come with the clip screw/bushing.

There is another ebay listing for jeweled screws in different sizes. Without the aid of a micrometer, I reckon my cap will take the 3.8mm screw made for the Parker 61 - this also apparently fits the 51 ballpoints and pencils too (doesn't mention the mark3). The Mark 3's cap was modeled on the 61 apparently, so they should be near identical.

Thanks to Ernesto's website, I already know that the Mk3 changed in the early 70's so that the jewel/screw was incorporated with the clip to avoid children swallowing them - whether my pen is from before that or after, I can't tell, and whether either type would fit it's hard to know. Anyone got any idea on that?

Thanks all!

Edit - Just found out that contrary to Ernesto's site, the 51 with the metal jewel incorporated with the cap was the Mark IV, not the Mark III. The Mk IV also went back to a wider clutch ring. So I should be fine with the clip and screw I mentioned above!
    Last edited by mike_maple; November 13th, 2020 at 03:55 PM.