Thread: Noodler

Thanks

Default Noodler

So I recently purchased a noodlers ahab and I must have struck gold because this nib in particular writes so amazingly well that I’ve put aside my Montblanc and Custom 823. Seriously, it’s weird. I’ve used a fair amount of Ahabs before and realize that this must be one of the instances where that variation in each nib plays in your favor.
    But it got me wondering; are there any manufacturers who make pen bodies for these nibs? The one I have is just a plain old plastic thing that isn’t much fun (and it smells weird...). I figured that the noodler pens are generally popular among artists and writers alike, so possibly there’s someone who’s figure out some other sections that the feed will fit in??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spencerwilli For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler

Wow, you've definitely struck gold!
    To find an Ahab that functions well enough to not have to tinker with it every other day (at the least) is a gem!
    Perhaps you got a newer model. I received an older model with a deteriorating flaky feed and it stunk like cow butt.
    Horribly inflexible nib too...for a supposed flex pen.

But I'm getting off topic...

I don't know if anyone makes pen bodies for the internal "Noodler" bits outside of indian penmakers.
    The "Kanwrite - Heritage" and "FPR - Himalaya V1" were essentially the Noodlers Ahab with a better design and less stink.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Lucky!

I have one Ahab that writes well if I pretend it's just a plain medium fine nib. But the stench was so horrific I buried the pen in coffee grounds for a month. It still smells a little.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Ahab get a lot of praise.

Thanks

I've used a number of Indian-made pens, and those made of resin all have that same scent to one degree or another. I let my wife take a smell. She shrugged and said "sandalwood" which makes sense. I don't mind the smell as it has positive connections with inexpensive fountain pens. For those who do, however, wiping down the resin parts with a diluted bleach solution will knock down the scent a fair bit.

Time and use will also reduce the scent.

Great that you found an Ahab that works so well. While the Ahab body will take standard #6 nibs, the Noodler's Ink flex nibs reportedly do not fit properly in other pens.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 17th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

It's a #6 nib, it'll fit in a ton of stuff, including the larger FCs, Edisons, really a lot of pens will fit a #6 nib.

although, if it's writing that well in an Ahab, there's no guarantee it'll perform as well in an other pen.

I'd leave it as-is and don't mess with it if it's that good a writing experience. Those tend to be somewhat ephemeral, esp with an Ahab.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    It's a #6 nib, it'll fit in a ton of stuff, including the larger FCs, Edisons, really a lot of pens will fit a #6 nib.

although, if it's writing that well in an Ahab, there's no guarantee it'll perform as well in an other pen.

I'd leave it as-is and don't mess with it if it's that good a writing experience. Those tend to be somewhat ephemeral, esp with an Ahab.
    this

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (November 19th, 2020)

Thanks

I also have several Ahabs and each one is it's own individual writer with it's own peculiarities. It's bad enough that one feed will work in one pen but not another, one nib is great until it goes in another pen, set two pens up exactly the same and one is a firehose and the other is allergic to ink. I have two in rotation currently and one is wonderfully smooth and makes a great medium line and the other is an extra fine or a dart. The nibs can be put in other pens but they work much better with the ebonite feed and that will probably not transfer very well. Other nibs in the Ahab will work but you have to be careful of the fit since they could be thinner or thicker than the Noodler's nib.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bugsydog55 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 20th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post

I guess I meant to say it probably isn't the nib, rather the setup. You can only wreck it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (November 22nd, 2020)