Thread: Nakaya Naka ai vs neo standard vs portable writer

Thanks

Default Nakaya Naka ai vs neo standard vs portable writer

Good day all.

For anyone that owns or handled the nakaya naka ai, neo standard and portable cigar writer, how is the writing experience? Is the naka ai lighter and sits better in the hand? Does the neo standard feel solid and bit heavier? etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Z3ke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Nakaya Naka ai vs neo standard vs portable writer

In the pictures below are (left to right) Naka-ai, Portable, Long Piccolo, and Neo Standard. I apologize that I did not have all four in an identical finish to photograph.

To me, the writing experience of these is fairly identical. The nibs are all the same size, etc and are interchangeable. The variable is therefore the nib width (fine, medium etc), grind, and tuning.

You can see the differences in shape and lengths of the cap, barrel, and overall pen.

To me, the most significant physical difference is the Neo Standard. That pen has a longer section which for some people affects comfort in the hand, and Neo Standard takes quite a few additional turns to remove or install the cap.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (November 18th, 2020), Z3ke (November 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post
    In the pictures below are (left to right) Naka-ai, Portable, Long Piccolo, and Neo Standard. I apologize that I did not have all four in an identical finish to photograph.

To me, the writing experience of these is fairly identical. The nibs are all the same size, etc and are interchangeable. The variable is therefore the nib width (fine, medium etc), grind, and tuning.

You can see the differences in shape and lengths of the cap, barrel, and overall pen.

To me, the most significant physical difference is the Neo Standard. That pen has a longer section which for some people affects comfort in the hand, and Neo Standard takes quite a few additional turns to remove or install the cap.

thank you for this greatly. The neo standard and the naka ai are about same length. did you find the naka ai more comfortable and less baxi heavy because of the tapered end?

Thanks

On my kitchen scale, the uncapped Naka-ai weighed 19 grams and the uncapped Neo Standard weighed 20 grams. If anyone has a hand that can determine a 1 gram difference in weight, their hand is far more sensitive than mine.

For me, Neo Standard is the model that has a true difference from the others you asked about or I photographed. And those differences are a love-less love for me.

I love the longer section on Neo Standard.

I less love the number of turns it takes to remove/install the cap on Neo Standard. I write in short durations, and therefore frequently remove/install the cap rather than simply leaving it off because I am never sure how long the pen will be sitting.

A factor you may wish to consider is availability. Naka-ai is only available through one dealer (in US). Long Piccolo is only available through one dealer (Singapore). Other shapes are at least geographically more widely available.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Z3ke (November 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post
    On my kitchen scale, the uncapped Naka-ai weighed 19 grams and the uncapped Neo Standard weighed 20 grams. If anyone has a hand that can determine a 1 gram difference in weight, their hand is far more sensitive than mine.

For me, Neo Standard is the model that has a true difference from the others you asked about or I photographed. And those differences are a love-less love for me.

I love the longer section on Neo Standard.

I less love the number of turns it takes to remove/install the cap on Neo Standard. I write in short durations, and therefore frequently remove/install the cap rather than simply leaving it off because I am never sure how long the pen will be sitting.

A factor you may wish to consider is availability. Naka-ai is only available through one dealer (in US). Long Piccolo is only available through one dealer (Singapore). Other shapes are at least geographically more widely available.
    Lastly, how do you find the naka ai compared to the long piccolo and portable? Is the naka ai a bit back heavy?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Z3ke For This Useful Post: