Thread: Machined Metal Mechanical Pencils - what's out there?

Thanks

Default Machined Metal Mechanical Pencils - what's out there?

I have a Ti Click EDC and a Karas Kustoms Bolt coming in the mail, both in copper.

I'd like to get a machined metal pencil to go with them. I have found the Modern Fuel Pencil - it's a bit pricey, but I really like the looks of it.

Tactile Turn shows some on their site, but they're all sold out. They told me they might have some more by the end of the year. Anyone tried those?

What else is out there, in this range?

Thanks

Default Re: Machined Metal Mechanical Pencils - what's out there?

Tactile Turn - And what do you feel from the titanium case, it must be very comfortable to hold in your hand?

Thanks

Zebra M701?
    100% stainless steel, the finger grip area is knurled. I think mine uses 0.5mm lead.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Have you looked at Spoke pencils?
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

There are some wonderful white dot Sheaffer pencils floating about. Their mechanism is exquisite; it really is fine machinery. Teri at Peyton Street Pens may have some... give her a call, or check out her website.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Never held them in my hand but they look amazing!

Thanks

FWIW, Autopoint made some metal barreled pencils, thereby reducing the primary part of their pencils that showed wear. Apparently ordered by various aluminum and other metal manufacturers/sellers, they are very hard to find - but extremely durable writing instruments. You know what they say about Autopoint pencils - the most rare Autopoint pencil is one that doesn't work (the entire mechanism is contained in the very tip, and thus you'd almost have to weld it shut to make it stop working).
    - - - Jim

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Autopoint For This Useful Post:

eachan (June 15th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I believe Karas Kustoms is running a Kickstarter to make their first mechanical pencil.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Autopoint View Post
    FWIW, Autopoint made some metal barreled pencils, thereby reducing the primary part of their pencils that showed wear. Apparently ordered by various aluminum and other metal manufacturers/sellers, they are very hard to find - but extremely durable writing instruments. You know what they say about Autopoint pencils - the most rare Autopoint pencil is one that doesn't work (the entire mechanism is contained in the very tip, and thus you'd almost have to weld it shut to make it stop working).
    - - - Jim
    Can you share a link to a detailed description of this pencil? - Very interesting to know more!

Thanks

AP 4 metal pencils.jpg

Above is a very quick picture of 4 metal barreled Autopoint mechanical pencils. The top 3 are substantially identical, having identical pocket clips, round steel barrels, grooved eraser caps, and black fingertip sections. Of course, the 3rd pencil from the top has gold tone trim on the eraser cap and pocket clip. The bottom metal barreled Autopoint pencil is a bit later in time, and has a likely aluminum barrel with 8 flats or "panels", a plastic wrapped metal ferrule that holds the eraser, and an open (visible) eraser. FWIW, the top 2 pencils are "paint imprinted" on the barrels. The top pencil appears to be imprinted with a person's name, and the 2nd pencil is imprinted "Sharon Steel Products". The 3rd pencil has no imprint, and the final pencil is imprinted on the plastic wrapped around the eraser holder "Alcoa Aluminum". Hope this helps a bit.
    - - - Jim, aka Autopoint

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Autopoint For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (June 29th, 2021)

Thanks

I have a few that I'd have to photograph and post here....I will have to look hard to see what they are. Some are early 20th century. Jotter of course. They were parts of live auction lots, or a couple were inherited along with the fountain pen that started my journey down the rabbit hole.

The one easy one I have is that "P-75" MP&BP. It had a MB lead cartridge and fits a Jotter refill too.
    It has another name I ran into and forgot. Classic??? When I got my P-75 ($22.00 in silver money,) in '70-71, the MP/BP was $18.
    I still have the lead cartridge.

Best MP I have used is a Pelikan 450.
    It has great balance. It sat for years, and by accident I picked it up to jot a few notes.....six week later I ran out of lead, and it too me a while to find out how to re-load it............in those 6 weeks I did not use a fountain pen....

Thanks

Auch-Pelikan DRP MP, is from 1934-36. The green one in the middle.

The 100 may well be part of a matching set from that time.

The black K-200 is W.Germany.........I have a set of marbled Blue 200/MP&BP W.Germany also. With price tags, DM 75, 54&53.

Mentioned my 450. & The wife did claim the blue stripped Pelikan RB.....I'm fine with that, I don't care for RB's.
    The wild looking browns and black pen is an Osmia 22, push button pre-war....that will be sent for repair.

Got to find out when the plain screw on dome over the hidden marked Pelikan clip holding unit 200 was made. I'd read about them but having then none, retained no knowledge. Wasn't easy to find, in I looked in Pelikan Perch and and another place, with no luck.

Thanks

The barley corn gold one is 14 K.........I have the matching overlay fountain pen.

The silver ones....according to what I just read mine is the P-75 not the somewhat later Classic. The heavily engraved one is 900 silver the other 835.

I have a Parker Imperial, but that is not machined, out side of some light engraving.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I didn't realize I had a collection of MP until I counted them and have 14.
    The ones (3-5) in the Flea Market box....@ 1900, will be saved.....now that I have a collection.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; September 10th, 2022 at 12:47 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (September 10th, 2022)