Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penmen ink duration.

Thanks

Default Re: Penmen ink duration.

I thought the modern Parker Penman Sapphire replacement was Monteverde Horizon Blue

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aquafox For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 20th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    I thought the modern Parker Penman Sapphire replacement was Monteverde Horizon Blue...
    Add it to the ever-expanding list.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

On Chrissy's chart and my 'monitor,' the Diamine Sargasso Sea looks closest.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What Chrissy's chart doesn't show is that Penman Sapphire also sheens.
    From memory, Sargasso Sea comes close both in looks and sheen.

Another thing about the Penman inks was that they are/were very water resistant.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by corgicoupe View Post
    To help with the dating, I purchased a Limited Edition World Memorial International Duofold [02736/10000] on February 16, 1993. I was issued a "Platinum Card" valid until 02/16/2003. Included in the purchase was a bottle of Penman Sapphire ink, which has about two ml left in the bottle. From what I've read, the closest match may be Private Reserve American Blue, but there are a couple of reasons that this could be problematical: it mistreats ink sacs and diaphragms, and the latest owner of the company has been reported to have died.

I have decided to use my remaining two bottles of PR [one American Blue and one Velvet Black, a really black black] in more modern converter pens.
    I found several more inks that are similar to Parker Penman Sapphire. Even these don't form an exclusive list.

Attachment 57308
    That is a fantastic comparison, Chrissy! Do you by chance have a comparison chart for black inks? One that might include Private Reserve Velvet Black?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to corgicoupe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by corgicoupe View Post
    That is a fantastic comparison, Chrissy! Do you by chance have a comparison chart for black inks? One that might include Private Reserve Velvet Black?
    I'm afraid not. To me black inks are, well, black, so it's not something I would ever need.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I thought the modern Parker Penman Sapphire replacement was Monteverde Horizon Blue
    I don't have any Monteverde Horizon Blue to compare with my PPS but in images I've seen Horizon Blue always seems to look significantly brighter and more purplish than PPS.
    Not that that matters at all. If some like it as a replacement to PPS then that's great.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I don't have any Monteverde Horizon Blue to compare with my PPS but in images I've seen Horizon Blue always seems to look significantly brighter and more purplish than PPS.
    Not that that matters at all. If some like it as a replacement to PPS then that's great.
    There was a lot of talk about that ink.

I have Horizon Blue. It's not at all purplish, but has green/turquoise undertones, and gives hard starts in more than a few different pens.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 20th, 2020)

Thanks

I use MV HB as my alternative to PPS, and, yes, I'm working through a bottle-and-a-half of real PPS. I have PPS in my favorite P-51 and HB in my almost-favorite P-51 Special. Both medium nibs. I can't tell the difference.

(And, yes, I've tried PR DC Supershow Blue, and the FPN mix of roughly 50:50 Diamine Sapphire Blue and Majestic Blue. HB seems closer).

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

With the help of Wile E Coyote references ( very kindly provided ) I think we can now confirm the UK release as 1993.

I have managed to get hold of the Penman Ink brochure which was print dated Nov 1992.

Some further information that I was told today :

During early 1991 Parker at Newhaven Sussex England hired an ink chemist genius, Leighton Davies-Smith PhD.
    It took 18 months to develop it at a cost of over £38,000

These inks was designed for use with the Sonnet Premier pen range and released in mid 1993.

The ink was manufactured at Parker, Newhaven, the cartridges were filled and made at the Parker factory at Meru France along with the entire Sonnet pens range.

In 1999 after making large losts ( development costs ) Parker discontinued this ink.

Obviously this ink was offered a lot later ( old stock )

I believe the last of this Penman ink was offered in revised oval bottles ( Ebony only ) in the DUOFOLD Limited Editions - Duofold Cloisonne & True Blue Limited - 2006/7
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to proteus For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (November 21st, 2020), carlos.q (November 21st, 2020), eachan (November 21st, 2020), welch (November 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    A few days ago I posted the following over on Pentrace, replying to a question on the rehydration of Penman carts:

If you aren't aware, the Spring 2020 issue of "The Pennant" (thrice-yearly magazine from the PCA) has an article: "Parker Penman Inks - a Classic Contextualized". It is an interview with Parker's chemist of that time, Dr Leighton Davies-Smith, on the creation of the Penman ink line.

Of all the inks, he goes into greatest detail regarding Sapphire, though the article touches on many areas, including modern pens that work best with these. It is interesting to note his comment on rehydration:

"I see people writing about this. You can't do it. The reason why you can't is that there is a unique blend of solvents and preservatives that go into these inks. If the water and other solvents evaporate, and all you do is add more water, you're not adding back those solvents, and you are diluting the preservative. The preservative stops the inks from going moldy, and the color can change as a consequence. The last thing you want to do is dilute an ink, unless you're diluting it with water plus the correct blend of solvents and preservatives. You might think you're solving the problem just because you've got the ink to flow a little better, but you've introduced a number of other potential issues, including feathering."

All in all it is a fascinating 5-page article, full of insight into the complexities of developing advanced ink formulas. Recommended. Unfortunately, it gives no hard dates for start and end of manufacture, but it definitely started in the early/mid-90s.
    A great reason to join PCA! It is a fascinating interview, both about what Davis-Smith was aiming at in Penman Sapphire, but also how Parker developed inks.