Thread: Cursive, handwriting and a digression

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Cursive, handwriting and a digression

I couldn't think of a better topic for this. There is another thread currently running about improving one's handwriting. Being an abstract thinker with too much time on my hands (thanks to the COVID restrictions) it was only natural for that discussion to lead me off on a tangent.

I began wondering what is the right height ratio of upper case (UC) to lower case (LC) letters for cursive. Was there a set ratio? Was there some rule of thumb being taught, or were there differences? I had been taught, or so I believe, that the lower case letter, with the exception of those with extenders (b, d, f, g, etc.), should be half the height of the upper case letters. And, that is how I have written ever since. So through the magic of the internet, I found that I what I believed I had been taught 60 plus years ago, a 1:0.5 (UC:LC) is a current teaching.

Now the twin questions, if I haven't bored you completely, are have others been taught a different ratio, say 1:0.75 perhaps, and what ratio do you use when you write?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (November 20th, 2020)