Thread: Changing Nakaya nibs

Thanks

Default Changing Nakaya nibs

I was wondering if I could change over a nib/feed combination from one Nakaya to another, or if the pens need to be sent back to Nakaya for that? I mean, if a retailer can do it, than so can I, assuming one would not need special equipment for it?

Pelikans are super easy in this respect - the whole nib/feed screws out on a simple thread.

Thanks

Default Re: Changing Nakaya nibs

Well, thanks, it ties into another answer I once got. I asked a retailer why I couldnt order a specific nib-size on a Sailor, as nibs.com does offer all options. That retailer answered that they must do it themselves as an after-market adjustment, and thereby voiding the official Sailor’s warranty. It seems plausible, but I wonder if nibs.com is transparent about it...

Anyway, shoot, I am not sure about my plans anymore now. I have a magnificently tuned M nib (done by a Nakaya nibmeister during an in-store event) that I would love to swap onto another Nakaya I have on order. I need to think it over with the retailer I guess...

Thanks

Nakaya nib assemblies can be swapped, although with varying degrees of ease/difficulty.

They are press fit, and can sometimes be extremely tight. I use a waffled rubber gripper cloth and holding nib and feed between thumb and forefinger, pull straight out without twisting. If the assembly doesn't pull out, I simply stop and don't pull too hard, as I won't risk damaging a feed, nib, or pen. I have found that running a little warm water over the section can help, though you have to be careful to dry it all of when through.

I have success perhaps 70% of the time in the dozens of times I have tried. The other times the nib doesn't come out fairly easily and I simply stop trying.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

GardenWeasel (January 2nd, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 21st, 2020), silverlifter (November 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A Smug Dill View Post
    Neither Platinum nor Nakaya, nor Sailor, nor Pilot have removable, screwed-in nib units with a threaded collar housing the nib and feed; modularity to facilitate users mixing and matching pen components by self-service, on what is sold as a complete, finely crafted writing instrument, just isn't in line with mainstream Japanese product design philosophy. Nevertheless, as far as I'm aware, they don't go out of their way to make it impossible for users to do that (even though none of them sell ‘spare’ nibs that can be swapped into the pen at will, as far as I'm aware; the nibs and feeds are just friction-fit, without being glued together or keyed in some peculiar way to prevent casual disassembly.

If you're prepared to void manufacturer's warranty and risk damaging the feed or nib by pulling it straight out of the gripping section, I don't think there are any technical hurdles, and it's ‘super’ easy without being a safe or expected thing for users to do.

Pilot does make readily interchangeable ‘spare’ nib-and-feed assembly units for its Capless models, as that's part and parcel of their design, but even then the ‘spare’ nibs aren't openly available for sale to consumers in the Japanese domestic market; it simply isn't how the Japanese do things.

Sailor feed/housing/nib is threaded - just in a different way than you think it is. It will void your warranty though if you remove it (how do they know though?)
    -NK

u/sworist

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sworist For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smug Dill,

I am afraid I have to disagree. I do not think you have de assembled your sailors completely.

I have only owned the pro gear regular and the 1911L, but they both have a housing that is threaded. The plastic grip and the brass metal piece that houses the c/c come apart - though they are glued together slighty so if you soak it in hot water and apply torque it will unscrew.

Changing nibs is easy, ofc. No need to break the seal/glue that is holding the housing and the barrel/grip/brass tube together. This is more of a if you want a custom pen made around a sailor nib.

I am not sure how other sailors are made, but if I had to predict I would say they are made in a similar way, with different radii housings... so you can unscrew the housing.

Pictures of a sailor threaded housing (feed and nib installed): https://imgur.com/a/SIFsWeW

I do not have any sailors that need de assembly currently, but if you're interested I am sure I can get some more pictures.
    Last edited by sworist; November 22nd, 2020 at 07:32 PM.
    -NK

u/sworist

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sworist For This Useful Post:

grainweevil (November 23rd, 2020)