Thread: Who makes nibs for who?

Thanks

Default Who makes nibs for who?

I know some companies make their own nibs in-house, whereas others contract with other makers (primarily Jowo and Bock) and then personalize or fine-tune them.

I’m wondering who makes nibs for which companies? I’ve found a couple of articles online (FPN http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...st-nibs-today/ and Daniel PI http://danielpi.com/fountain-pens/20...who-makes-them) but both were written around 2015, and I’m guessing some things have changed since then.

Can anyone weigh in on who makes their own, who contracts with Jowo, who contracts with Bock, and who contracts with other minor vendors?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: Who makes nibs for who?

I saw the title and read it as “Drinks for Two”.

I think I should have another. . .

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 21st, 2020), SIR (November 23rd, 2020), Turquoise (November 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I saw the title and read it as “Drinks for Two”.

I think I should have another. . .
    I'm with you Farmboy. I usually make drinks for two. White wine for herself and tonight Lagavulin 12 year old 2017 Special Release for me. You can practically chew the peat on this baby.
    Cheers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Note For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A Smug Dill View Post
    I vaguely remember Cross uses nibs made by Pilot on another model (Townsend?), but I have absolutely no idea about its other product lines.
    I believe the Townsend employed a nib made by Pelikan. Pilot nibs were used on the first Century models and the Radiance/Solo, and probably other models as well.
    Sent from my constipated POS computer at work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Biber For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One thing that complicates lists like this is that the relationships between pen & nib companies don't need to be exclusive or permanent. They can change over time. And there may be collaborations. Some examples:

Leonardo is well known to use Bock nibs, but they have also stated that starting in 2021 they will be using Jowo instead. What I don't know, though, is what happens to the pens with #8 nibs, since Jowo doesn't normally make #8 nibs. Maybe the Leonardo #8's will cease to exist, maybe they'll convince Jowo to make #8 nibs, and maybe they'll continue to use Bock just for that nib size?

I don't know who normally makes Cross pens, but their Peerless 125 used a nib from Sailor. That was a collaboration, not a shift to Sailor for manufacturing.

I seem to recall an announcement of a collaboration between Monteverde and Sailor, but cannot find it now.

I have read many times that Scribo makes their own nibs using Omas' nib equipment. A recent video tour of Scribo says, though, that the nibs are made by Bock using tools that Scribo got from Omas (no detail about what the tools are). Who then do you consider to be the manufacturer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltoa...ppelboomPennen

It was mentioned above that Pelikan makes there own nibs, and they do, but I thought that some of their models used one of the well-known German nib companies. But I'm not certain of this.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to XYZZY For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for all that info on the Asian pen makers. It’s good to know. I haven’t collected many Asian pens because I tend to prefer juicer/broader nibs, but that doesn’t rule out investigation in the future!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XYZZY View Post
    One thing that complicates lists like this is that the relationships between pen & nib companies don't need to be exclusive or permanent. They can change over time. And there may be collaborations.
    Yes that’s the conundrum! And then you get to the vintage pens.....

Thanks

• TWSBI uses Jowo for their pens that take #6 nibs (Vac 700R, for example).
    • Opus 88 uses Jowo nibs, tuned to Opus 88 specs by Jowo.
    • Edison Pens uses Jowo nibs for their steel offerings, but custom-tunes them in-house
    • The newer Conklins also use Jowo nibs
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A Smug Dill View Post
    I vaguely remember Cross uses nibs made by Pilot on another model (Townsend?), but I have absolutely no idea about its other product lines.
    I believe the Townsend employed a nib made by Pelikan. Pilot nibs were used on the first Century models and the Radiance/Solo, and probably other models as well.
    To these thoughts about early Cross Century nibs we must add Mutschler. Thomas Neureither (Kaweco) has posted to FPN a photograph of a rather large number of Cross nibs made by Mutschler. The manufacture of Cross fountain pens in the period that began in the 1980s (as distinguished from before World War II) is a matter of some complexity and obscurity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Interesting about Mutschler (I have three of their pens, low cost examples, but really nice writers).

Thanks

Chinese made nibs aren't a bad thing per se.
    Many chinese pens write beautifully fine - albeit dry - without the premium price that comes with the Japan made.

Thanks

Here is a useful although apparently older link......http://danielpi.com/fountain-pens/20...who-makes-them

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tekkie27 For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (November 28th, 2020), catbert (November 28th, 2020), Ole Juul (November 28th, 2020)