Thread: Lamy 2000 vs TWSBI Nib Size Comparison?

Thanks

Question Lamy 2000 vs TWSBI Nib Size Comparison?

I’m considering upgrading from my TWSBI Eco (medium nib) to a Lamy 2000, but I am unsure what nib to get, since I can’t test them in person right now. I’ve read that Lamy 2000 nibs are broader/wetter than the average. I really like the size of my TWSBI Eco medium, and would like something similar with the Lamy 2000. I’m not sure if this would be a Lamy 2000 fine or medium. Does anyone have any advice as to how the nib sizes compare? Any comparison writing samples between the two (or between the Lamy 2000 and TWSBI 580) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Lamy 2000 vs TWSBI Nib Size Comparison?

I've never used a TWSBI but you're correct when you say western pen nibs tend to be broader/wetter than Asian pen nibs.
    My Lamy 2000 has a F nib and I returned the M nib pen to get it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

In general, the 2000 nibs are broader than Asian nibs. Just remember that all nib sizes fall into ranges. A nib that falls into the broader range of F in a TWSBI may seem like a nib graded in the finer range of M in a 2000.

Maybe purchase a previously experienced 2000 in F from a forum member. If it's not to your liking, sell it and try a M.

The only way to be absolutely sure, is to buy both and sell the one that's not to your liking. You can also dip test both at a shop or show, though you'd have to wait a while for that given current circumstances.
    Last edited by Wile E Coyote; November 22nd, 2020 at 03:21 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I believe the TWSBI nibs are German-made Jowo nibs, so they are western-sized compared to Pilot/Sailor.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jaw3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I don´t have a Lamy 2000 but I´m with jaw3000, TWSBI pens have currently German Jowo nibs (formerly Bock and Schmidt), so they are like other German nibbed pens.

I´ve made you a comparison of a Lamy Safari - M with a TWSBI ECO - F and a TWSBI 580 - F.

(Lamy Safari - M ..... Faber Castell Königsblau,
    TWSBI ECO - F ..... FPR Blue-Black,
    TWSBI 580 - F ..... Sheaffer Skrip Purple)

If you prefer a TWSBI - M then most likely a Lamy - M will give you a similar line width.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 25th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (May 15th, 2021)

Thanks

"""" read that Lamy 2000 nibs are broader/wetter than the average. """"

I find that most folks that say that "average" started with and are mostly into skinny for size marked Japanese pens.
    I don't find Lamy to be out of line for Euro nib widths.............which can depend on era.
    I suspect Lamy to have the same nib as before........my couple of Lamies are and the couple I gave away were older pens...before double ball Pelikan and fatter nibs by MB became common shortly before 2000.
    But I don't know. I didn't pay any attention to the CPM-1 or the Safari's nibs before I gave them away. My Persona and Joy are older pens.

Each company has it's very own standards(even in Japan)........and they are not the same as some other company's.
    A Parker is fatter than a Sheaffer....and one trained one's customers back when there were pen shops on every corner to want the nib size offered. It was like Ford vs Chevy fans, in the day of only having one modern, up to date fountain pen.

Parker did not make a skinny nib like Sheaffer, back in the day of One Man, One Pen. In one didn't want the customer getting confused and committing heresy.....buying a skinny nibbed Sheaffer in that decade's pen buy.
    One did have to keep up with the Jones, and have a modern pen....

So it was with everyone. Pelikan made a wet nib to go with their dry ink. Waterman a wet ink to go with it's narrow nib. (Japanese inks are wet inks.) MB is sort of medium.

So each company also matched it's nibs width/wetness with it's own brand of ink.

So ink and paper also have to do with line width of a nib. Using a dry ink on slick paper can make a nib write a size narrower.
    Wet ink on cheap copy paper...a width wider.

Many folks use cheap PP paper, so have wide lines, then add a wet ink to it.....even wider.....than "average".
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; November 22nd, 2021 at 01:56 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

welch (January 11th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaw3000 View Post
    Does anyone have any advice as to how the nib sizes compare? Any comparison writing samples between the two (or between the Lamy 2000 and TWSBI 580) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    To the OP, you might want to take a look at the Goulet Nib Nook, which allows you to compare samples of the nibs of various pen brands, including both TWSBI and LAMY. Probably not exact, but then again, the only true exact comparison would be two pens in your hands. Check it out:

https://www.gouletpens.com/pages/nib-nook

Also, you can find many standard nib measurements - though not LAMY - on a still handy chart from Nibs.com. This chart shows precise measurements of the size of the tipping, not a writing samples:

https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

I seem to end up with a bunch of these (4 pens now, and 3 or 4 extra nibs in a box somewhere).

They do indeed lean to wet with a broader line than "usual" (whatever that means), out of the box. The EF is very toothy, I would recommend a F for most normal usage.

Lamy 2k nibs are very difficult to adjust compared to the typical #5 or #6 Bock/JoWo nib in most pens.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

The OP hasn't posted on FPG since he joined and posted this single thread a year ago. My guess is that he has sorted out his pen during the year.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The OP hasn't posted on FPG since he joined and posted this single thread a year ago. My guess is that he has sorted out his pen during the year.
    Dammit! Got necrothreaded again... lol
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

glad all that is resolved (hopefully!)