Thread: Non Wood Paper

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Re: Non Wood Paper

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    As migo said historical vellum paper like parchment was made from the skin of certain animals.
    Then the word vellum was used for high quality rag paper which had a similar finish as the ancient skin vellum. . . .
    This process of naming something by a superficial look is prevalent. I find it a nuisance when searching for paper. One cannot search for "linen" paper and expect to find linen.

For some reason "cotton" papers are still made of cotton, but I think that is because the qualities of cotton are more subtle and often even ignored by many people.

A brown block of wood in never called a chocolate bar, but who knows how the language may change in the future.
    Then too, a medium. 'vellum' that is made from materials, synthetics for instance, that are cheaper or easier to produce will often be carry on the name as the original fades into obsolescence.

I know that all the vellum I used even 40 years ago was not made from animal skins. In fact, I assumed it was some sort of polymer. Imagine my surprise when I found out it, modern vellum, is actually made from cellulose fibre.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (November 24th, 2020)