Thread: Not a fountain pen and it doesn't even write... vintage Pelikan desk pen holder x2

Thanks

Cool Not a fountain pen and it doesn't even write... vintage Pelikan desk pen holder x2

And then there were two... vintage Pelikan desk pen holders, that is!

Got a bit worried as the latest addition to the flock was three weeks due. Well, it finally arrived so there it is. 🙂
    Also featured... some other Pelikan paraphernalia, such as the Pelikan thumbtacks made in the 1930s (they have a wonderfully detailed four chic Pelikan logo as an imprint) or the bakelite capped and Wagenfeld-designed ink bottle from the same era.

These were sold for Pelikan 100, 100N & 400 series pens so that places them somewhere between the 1930s to 1950s.

Pelikan pen stands - Pens in(1).jpg

The one on the left is the newcomer. It is most likely made somewhere between late 1930s to early 1940s. The one on the right is a later version. There are few differences between the two...

Pelikan pen stands - Pens out(1).jpg

The older version is more crudely made and finished, it is also thinner.

Pelikan pen stands - Bottoms(1).jpg

The older has the Pelikan branding on the bottom. The later model made away with this and has a stabilizing metal plate there instead. Makes a lot of sense as bakelite, the material these both are made of, is very lightweight.
    Last edited by mana; October 1st, 2021 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Fixed broken image links

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mana For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 24th, 2020), carlos.q (November 24th, 2020), FredRydr (November 24th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (November 24th, 2020), Yazeh (September 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Re: Not a fountain pen and it doesn't even write... vintage Pelikan desk pen holder x

Nice Pelikan paraphernalia there!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Not a fountain pen and it doesn't even write... vintage Pelikan desk pen holder x

These Pelikan pen holders have a nice and simple design. This version with the flat bottom plate appeared circa 1938 and it was in the Pelikan catalog until at least 1957. This holder is also shown on filling instruction pamphlets for the Pelikan 400 so it is definitely also correct for the 400. I was not aware that they also exist without a bottom imprint. They become hard to find.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Nice Pelikan paraphernalia there!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    These Pelikan pen holders have a nice and simple design. This version with the flat bottom plate appeared circa 1938 and it was in the Pelikan catalog until at least 1957. This holder is also shown on filling instruction pamphlets for the Pelikan 400 so it is definitely also correct for the 400. I was not aware that they also exist without a bottom imprint. They become hard to find.
    Yeah, the design is really nice and practical too. And hard to find... yeah. This is the second one I have been able to get in the last ten years or so that was not outrageously pricey.

I once saw a sales ad for three that were mounted to a piece of wood... and one of them was made of red bakelite (meant for the 101N)! Sadly I missed on that one by mere hours. And naturally, it sold for a silly price, something like 50€ for the lot... well, I just hope they found a good home.

That is the business I am in, helping vintage Pelikans etc. find a good home. Come to papa, you beautiful old birds...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mana For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mana View Post
    I once saw a sales ad for three that were mounted to a piece of wood... and one of them was made of red bakelite (meant for the 101N)! Sadly I missed on that one by mere hours. And naturally, it sold for a silly price, something like 50€ for the lot... well, I just hope they found a good home.
    Interesting, I never saw this holder in red.

There is an original Pelikan item that consists of 4 bakelite pen holders that are mounted on a A4 sized wooden bottom plate that also contains a Pelikan notebook. This may have been a stationary item, allowing customers to try out 4 different Pelikan pens. An almost NOS version of this item was sold on Ebay last year for 532 euros.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting, I never saw this holder in red.
    Had to check and both versions of Pelikan Schreibgeräte have a pic of one with a red tailed 101Nf.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mana For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So, Pelikan made desk pens? Never seen one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mana View Post
    Had to check and both versions of Pelikan Schreibgeräte have a pic of one with a red tailed 101Nf.
    You are right, I should go to these books more often. What a great looking desk pen set that is.
    I just pulled out some Pelikan catalogs and the desk pen holder, which is model number #4, is still listed in a 1961 catalog (available in black only) but not anymore in 1963.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

mana (November 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Can't see any pictures in the first post.
    Don't know from when this Pelikan double stand is from, but the 'gold' plated cap of the ink bottle goes to the pen rest bottle of once Royal Blue....now Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green.
    The left holder fits an 800 or 1000, the right one a 600/400 size pens.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; September 29th, 2021 at 04:55 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

That Pelikan desk pen base when new did not include pens.

Thanks

The base with double sockets was in the Pelikan catalog from 1989 to 1994 and the ink bottle with gold plated cap is original to this base. There was also a similar desk base with a single socket.

It is a pity that reference pictures on this site continue to disappear. The 1930s Pelikan pen stand that was the subject of the first post looks like this one:
    www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/jznwlp/and_then_there_were_two_vintage_pelikan_desk_pen/

www.popscreen.com/prod/MTEzMTM0NzY5/Vintage-Pelikan-pen-stand-for-Pelikan-100-Pelikan-100N-Pelikan-100NN-

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jos For This Useful Post:

BoBo Olson (September 2nd, 2022), mana (October 1st, 2021)

Thanks

I may have seen those in the link, a long time ago on German Ebay, but have a couple pen stands with marble stands, a wooden stand one and a couple one marble, the other agate for ball points.

More I didn't want to throw out the feather (not that the dip pen nib on it is more than a tourist trap; it came with the stand) than anything else, and the caps of the ink wells are sterling silver. The pen lost in the feather is a Sheaffer Touchdown desk pen.

How ever I chase inkwells....I have some 36 or so of them, double or single wells. Some silver or silver plated, some marble and others bronze or a few silver plated ones....which require just as much polishing as the pure silver ones.
    Last edited by BoBo Olson; October 2nd, 2021 at 07:11 AM.

Thanks

The base with double sockets was in the Pelikan catalog from 1989 to 1994 and the ink bottle with gold plated cap is original to this base. There was also a similar desk base with a single socket.

It is a pity that reference pictures on this site continue to disappear. The 1930s Pelikan pen stand that was the subject of the first post looks like this one:
    www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/jznwlp/and_then_there_were_two_vintage_pelikan_desk_pen/
    Heh, you stumbled on my reddit post about the stands So yeah, the pics there are the ones that were supposed to be in the original post (I wonder where those went?).

Thanks

Fixed the images in the OP.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

I wish I could find the image files of that NIB green and black base I sold last year.