Thread: Newbie question / Accidental ebay purchase!

Thanks

Default Newbie question / Accidental ebay purchase!

Well! I made an accidental ebay purchase last week. I bought a Dinkie for £25. It has arrived, to be honest I wasn't expecting much for that. I don't know what made me bid! It has arrived. The lever seems (irritatingly) wobbly, moving from side to side and there looks like a tiny crack under the end of the lever but I had to get a magnafing glass out to see it. Other that that It looks fab. I have not put ink in it yet as hubby is home and I'm trying to hide it till after xmas. (Its complicated)! The nib seems ok to. Do you think the wobbly lever and tiny weeny crack are correctable? Any recommendations for a restorer in the UK ? Any info thoughts welcome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Karen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Newbie question / Accidental ebay purchase!

IIRC the good folk at Battersea Pen Home (now in Epping I think) should be able to help.

Thanks

Have you used them yourself? I'll make a decision on monday when hubby out and I get to put ink in it. I have a couple of vintage pens and one coming for xmas (hubby thinks hes bought me my first for xmas) so I have hidden the others. I really excited about writing with it. LOL. The lever is going to drive me NUTS! Its not perfect but its pretty dam good.

Thanks

Check with Battersea PH by all means but when I asked them to work on my CS Dinkie some years ago they refused on the basis that Dinkies are difficult to work on. I sent mine to

http://www.old-pens.co.uk/
    Last edited by RobJohnson; November 27th, 2020 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Have you used them yourself? I'll make a decision on monday when hubby out and I get to put ink in it. I have a couple of vintage pens and one coming for xmas (hubby thinks hes bought me my first for xmas) so I have hidden the others. I really excited about writing with it. LOL. The lever is going to drive me NUTS! Its not perfect but its pretty dam good.
    Not vintage Dinkies but lots of older Conway Stewarts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 27th, 2020)

Thanks

I am the registered vintage Conway Stewart recommended repair person for the UK.
    Dinkies are one of the main vintage pen where you are more likely to find a barrel at threads crack than on the cap edge. Being so small, creates the difficulty in servicing them and chance of failure in materials in doing so.
    At £25, that is a very good price, servicing and return postage costs, brings the cost up to around the cost of a user quality Dinkie pen, they are very desirable pens.
    I am UK based (Edinburgh), my contact e-mail is ericthepen@gmail.com on the Conway Stewart website, the email is eckiefump@googlemail.com. I use both emails, but the former is used more predominantly for pen repair works these days.
    Eric

I can also thoroughly recommend the previously quoted UK repair site run by David Wells
    Last edited by eckiethump; November 28th, 2020 at 02:55 AM. Reason: to add reccomend

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eckiethump For This Useful Post:

jar (November 28th, 2020), RobJohnson (November 28th, 2020), Yazeh (November 28th, 2020)