Thread: Ferris Wheel Press (Inks) - Not so stand up.

Thanks

Default Ferris Wheel Press (Inks) - Not so stand up.

Just wanted to share a recent experience with Ferris Wheel Press.

I supported their Kickstarter campaign at the beginning of this year and just recently received two bottles of ink from their campaign, one being their 2020 limited edition color, and a second add-on bottle of Three Steamboats. They had a series of delays, not surprisingly, due to the pandemic. As soon as I opened the box I knew something was awry. I gave it a swab test in my notebook to double check. The color looks exactly like their Mirror Mirror if Moraine when compared with their campaign images. I contacted them, telling them that it looks like they had a misprint in their production.

FWP got back to me saying that because the label and artwork are correct on the box, that it was indeed the Three Steamboats color, and it's the lighting under which I'm looking at the ink which is why it seems inaccurate. Baloney.

I work with paint for a living, my parents are both artists and my father mixes colors daily for our family business. They agree that the color is wrong.

I am still in contact with FWP and awaiting their next response about this. Very disappointing. I am trying to support small businesses, and pledged money to help them get their projects off the ground. I hope that they make this right.

Take a look at the difference:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Ferris Wheel Press (Inks) - Not so stand up.

Those look pretty. I like the sheen to them.

The two colors look different to me in the image, though the box for Three Steamboats looks the same as the color for the Mirror Mirror. Have you swabbed the ink itself to see what color it is?
    Last edited by Lady Onogaro; November 29th, 2020 at 08:59 PM.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

I agree with Lady Onogaro that although the two inks look different on the paper image with Three Steamboats looking significantly more blue than Mirror Mirror, the box of ink labelled as Three Steamboats seems to exactly match the teal Mirror Mirror colour.

The first question I would be asking TFW is: "Is Three Steamboats meant to be the same ink as Mirror Mirror? Because that is the ink colour you sent me."
    Then if they reply they are different inks, blue and teal, as pictured, I would be able to confirm that they had sent me the wrong ink because the Three Steamboats ink I had received was teal not blue.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 8th, 2020)

Thanks

The writing sample shows a difference in the ink hues.
    The "Three Steamboats" ink is slightly more blue than the "Mirror Mirror..." ink.
    Though it looks like they did a poor job placing the correct coloring on the box for "Three steamboats".
    Perhaps a manufacturing error in the packaging that they cannot and will not repair due to cost involved...they're already broke for at least another year or two.

What do you see when you write with both inks?
    Or have you opened the bottles and actually put ink to paper...
    I'm guessing you haven't because of their already "Shady" business feel...and I can't fault you for that.
    I'm sure they'd say you couldn't return either of the inks because you opened the bottles....lol.
    Precisely why I stay away from anything "Kickstarter"...they're already operating in the negative, they can't afford any mess-ups...and when they inevitably do, it's the end-buyer that suffers.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

the light in your living space combined with the color settings on your monitor could be confounding.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    The writing sample shows a difference in the ink hues.
    The "Three Steamboats" ink is slightly more blue than the "Mirror Mirror..." ink.
    Though it looks like they did a poor job placing the correct coloring on the box for "Three steamboats".
    Perhaps a manufacturing error in the packaging that they cannot and will not repair due to cost involved...they're already broke for at least another year or two.

What do you see when you write with both inks?
    Or have you opened the bottles and actually put ink to paper...
    I'm guessing you haven't because of their already "Shady" business feel...and I can't fault you for that.
    I'm sure they'd say you couldn't return either of the inks because you opened the bottles....lol.
    Precisely why I stay away from anything "Kickstarter"...they're already operating in the negative, they can't afford any mess-ups...and when they inevitably do, it's the end-buyer that suffers.
    I did take a swab and have a glass dip pen so I dipped and tried it out. In writing, it looks just like Mirror Mirror. My first thought was that maybe it was a manufacturing issue. I've had some issues with other kickstarter campaigns in the past where products were rushed and delivered with issues. I've used other Ferris Wheel inks in the past and liked them, so I figured this would be an opportunity to help a small company, especially with everything happening in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    the light in your living space combined with the color settings on your monitor could be confounding.
    I thought the same I looked at their website on my computer, tablet, parents' computer and phones (all different kinds of devices). The box and ink that I received looks very much like Mirror Mirror and not Three Steamboats.

As an update, I have heard back from them and after a few emails they've agreed to make a swap for another color of my choice. I'm going to go with their Jelly Bean Blue. I've used their Peppermint Drop and I really like the flow and saturation of that ink. Probably one of my favorite greens. It has a some blue undertones to it. Fingers crossed the Jelly Bean blue has the same saturation and flow qualities.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThirtyOne For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 7th, 2020), Yazeh (December 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Those look pretty. I like the sheen to them.

The two colors look different to me in the image, though the box for Three Steamboats looks the same as the color for the Mirror Mirror. Have you swabbed the ink itself to see what color it is?
    They're nice inks, just not my cup of tea for color. I lean towards darker and more saturated inks. I did swab this and glass dip pen it. On paper it looks very much like Mirror Mirror still. I even tried a few passes in some spots to darken it up. Same as before. Mirror Mirror all the way.

On a side note, I've used some of their other inks and really liked them. The 2020 limited edition Timeless Blue color that came out with Kickstarter is a very very nice ink to write with. I really enjoy the blue. It has a glow to it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThirtyOne For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

look at the writing samples from the kickstarter page.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post: