Thread: Removing inkstains from wood?

Thanks

Default Removing inkstains from wood?

I had an Inktastrophe this weekend -- my little wall-mounted ink cabinet collapsed, sending the ink bottles tumbling onto the bookcase, the desk, and the carpet. Amazingly, only ONE bottle broke -- but it was enough to occupy me and 8 rolls of paper towels for over 4 hours in a clean-up operation that wasn't completely successful.

The ink is water soluble, so I was able to get the bulk of it out of the carpet. However, the unfinished (but stained) wood bookcase and desk just soaked it up like rain in a desert.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might do to mitigate the stains on the wood? Is there some kind of stain removal product I could use? I'm thinking if I just re-stain the wood I'll still have blotches where the ink is although perhaps it would all be shades of brown instead of the current turquoise blue

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Removing inkstains from wood?

Amodex comes to mind, but I've never tried it on wood. You might want to read through their website: https://amodexusa.com Their brochure specifically states "wood." https://amodexusa.com/wp-content/upl...pictograms.pdf
    Last edited by FredRydr; November 30th, 2020 at 05:41 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Turquoise (November 30th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't know where you are. Draper makes a spray-on ink and gum remover but I suspect that's just UK.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear that. Alternatively you can sand/stain and varnish your bookcase if it's worth it.... or paint it over

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If Amodex doesn't work, you can try Rejuvenate Wood Stain remover pens, Oxalic Acid (aka one-part wood bleach), or one of the two-part wood bleach products. You'll have to stain afterwards to match the rest of the wood for the wood bleaches since they'll lighten the wood too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Turquoise (November 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Sorry to hear that. A complete collapse like that once happened to me but instead of ink it was a large glass table full of cacti.

The first thing I would try would be Amodex.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As a last choice, if you're into a bit of cabinet work. You could knock the unit apart, and reinstall the offending shelf upside down.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (November 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Thank you everyone!

I've never heard of Amodex, but it sure looks like it would tackle a lot of different kinds of stains! I've placed an order online -- I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll need to tackle ink stains in a more efficient way.

I'm in the US, eachan -- I couldn't find any Draper's doing a search online, so I suspect you're right that it's a UK thing.

I'll also check out the Rejuvenate Wood Stain remover pens, Wile E Coyote.

I'll probably pass on sanding and refinishing since neither the worktable nor the bookcase cost much to begin with -- and painting, sanding, and finishing (and taking apart and putting back together) are not things I enjoy much

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (November 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    If Amodex doesn't work, you can try Rejuvenate Wood Stain remover pens, Oxalic Acid (aka one-part wood bleach), or one of the two-part wood bleach products. You'll have to stain afterwards to match the rest of the wood for the wood bleaches since they'll lighten the wood too.
    Your comment about oxalic acid triggered my memory about something I’d read in one of my colonial history books — I found the passage, where it described using oxalic acid to remove ink stains AND it also mentioned the use of vinegar. Having some vinegar on hand, I thought I’d give it a try — it was pretty amazing. Although it did not remove all the ink, I’d say it removed at least 50% of the stain, leaving behind some splotches where the ink obviously pooled and saturated more. It did not affect the underlying stain of the wood itself. I imagine it would work even better on something naturally washable like skin or fiber. I’ll have to give it a try next time I get ink all over my fingers (which will likely be very soon).
    Last edited by Turquoise; November 30th, 2020 at 08:34 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

I wanted to put in a good word for Amodex customer service. After getting numerous suggestions here to try Amodex, I placed an order online and asked if I needed to do anything different than the instructions in the brochure to try and get ink stains out of wood. I was surprised when the president of the company asked me to call her to discuss. I did, and she was totally helpful -- full of great information and tips on using the product specifically on wood. She was up-front about not being certain the ink could be fully removed from the wood (given the size of the stain and it being on un-sealed wood) but hoping I'd let her know how it worked out so she can help future customers. She also asked me to thank everyone on the forum who recommended Amodex -- I don't know if Amodex will be the solution, but it does look like an excellent product for less challenging ink stain removal, so I'm looking forward to having it on hand for more minor mishaps

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (December 2nd, 2020), Ole Juul (December 2nd, 2020), Yazeh (December 2nd, 2020)