Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (article) How handwriting lost its personality (The Atlantic)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,828 Times in 1,163 Posts

Default (article) How handwriting lost its personality (The Atlantic)

How Handwriting Lost Its Personality - The Atlantic

By Rachel Gutman-Wei
    July 11, 2023, 1:01 PM ET

Penmanship was once considered a window to the soul. The digital age has closed it.

Because I am a writer, and because I am a hoarder, my apartment is littered with notebooks that contain a mixture of journal entries and school assignments. Many pages don’t have dates, but I can tell which era of my life they correspond to just by looking at the handwriting. In the earliest examples, from elementary school, my print is angular, jagged; even the s’s and j’s turn sharp corners. In middle school, when I wanted to be more feminine (and was otherwise failing), I made my letters rounder, every curve a bubble ready to pop. In my junior year of high school, when it was time to get serious about applying to college, I switched to cursive, slender and tightly controlled.

Each of my metamorphoses was made in keeping with a centuries-old American belief that people—types of people, even—can be defined by how they write their letters. Now, though, this form of signaling may be obsolete. In the age of text on screens, many of us hardly write by hand at all, so we rarely get the chance to assess one another’s character through penmanship. Handwriting, as a language of its own, is dying out.

Over the centuries, the way people read that language has shifted. Until the 1800s, at least in the U.S., writing styles were less an act of self-expression than a marker of your social category, including your profession. “There were certain font types for merchants, for example, that were supposed to reflect the efficiency and the speed with which merchants work,” Tamara Plakins Thornton, a historian at SUNY Buffalo and the author of Handwriting in America, told me. Lawyers used a different script, aristocrats another, and so on. The distinctions were enforced—by social norms, by teachers, by clients and colleagues and employers.

Men and women, too, were assigned their own fonts. Men were taught “muscular handwriting,” Carla Peterson, an emeritus professor of English at the University of Maryland, told me. They used roundhand, a larger script that was meant to be produced with more pressure on the quill or pen; women, by contrast, learned the narrower Italian script, akin to today’s italics. The latter style was compressed, says Ewan Clayton, a handwriting expert at the University of Sunderland, in the United Kingdom, in the same way that women’s waists might be limited by contemporary fashion. Eventually, women switched to using roundhand too.

The idea that handwriting styles might differ meaningfully from one person to another—and that those differences could be a means of showing your true nature—really took off in the 19th century, around the time that business correspondence and records started being outsourced to the typewriter. As penmanship was freed from professional constraints, it became more personal. “It was really believed that handwriting could be the articulation of self, that indeed the character of script said something about the character of a person,” says Mark Alan Mattes, an assistant English professor at the University of Louisville and the editor of the upcoming collection Handwriting in Early America.

Nowhere was that belief better exemplified than in the field of graphology—basically, phrenology for handwriting. In the 1840s, Edgar Allan Poe (who was taken with all manner of scientific measurements) published his analyses of the signatures of more than 100 writers, and how their lines and squiggles corresponded to each writer’s prose style. Of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s autograph, he wrote, “We see here plain indications of the force, vigour, and glowing richness of his literary style; the deliberate and steady finish of his compositions.” Poe was not as kind to the poet Lydia Sigourney: “From [the signature] of Mrs. S. we might easily form a true estimate of her compositions. Freedom, dignity, precision, and grace, without originality, may be properly attributed to her. She has fine taste, without genius.” An 1892 guide to graphology is more systematic, informing readers that people who connect all their letters at the base are “purely deductive” in their reasoning, while those whose letters have some elbow room are “purely intuitive.”

samples.jpeg
    Samples of “purely intuitive” (top) and “purely deductive” (bottom) handwriting styles from Talks on Graphology by Helen Lamson Robinson and M. L. Robinson

Graphological tendencies continued into the early 20th century, when researchers published studies proclaiming that readers could guess a person’s gender from their script with better-than-chance accuracy—as if students hadn’t still been taught that boys and girls should write in different ways as of just a few decades prior. Through the 1970s, scientists were plumbing handwriting for character traits; one study found that “missing i dots are related to the nonsubmissive, non-egocentric, socially interested person,” whereas the “number of circled i dots relates positively to the intelligent and sophisticated personality.”

Handwriting analysis moved further toward the fringe in the age of computer connectivity, when typing took over. “We are witnessing the death of handwriting,” Time proclaimed in 2009. Things have only gotten more digital since then. I now spend half of my waking life talking with my co-workers, and I have no idea what any of their writing looks like. Same for the subset of my friends who don’t happen to send birthday cards. One of my best friends is getting married next year, and I have never seen her fiancé’s handwriting. How am I supposed to know whether he tends toward deduction or intuition, whether he’s intelligent or socially interested, whether he’s an artist or a serial killer?

Let me be clear: Graphology is, as Thornton told me, “complete B.S.” Very few innate factors influence a person’s penmanship. Neither legibility nor messiness indicates intelligence. (Both claims have been made.) Handwriting can be used to diagnose conditions that affect a person’s movements, such as Parkinson’s, but you can’t learn anything about a person’s moral fiber by how they cross their t’s. What you can learn is how that person has been socialized to present themselves to the world, says Seth Perlow, an associate English professor at Georgetown. Doctors have a culture of sloppy writing; teen girls have a culture of dotting their i’s with tiny hearts. Girls don’t write that way because they’re feminine; they write that way because they’ve learned that tiny hearts are associated with femininity.

I remember practicing my letters as a kid when I got bored in class, adjusting the parts I didn’t like, adding and removing the belts from my 7s, the caps from my a’s. Testing out a new style was like trying on a new outfit in front of a mirror—assessing how it looked, knowing other people would see it too. Now, as handwriting becomes less and less enmeshed in our daily lives, Thornton told me, “there’s good reason to think this is not an arena for self-expression. It’s just something you have to learn and get away with as best you can.” If you want to assert your identity, and you want people to see it, you’re more likely to do so by sculpting your appearance, adding your pronouns to your Instagram bio, or updating LinkedIn so everyone knows you’re a merchant without having to decipher your chicken scratch.

In fact, many of the qualities that were once conveyed with a certain type of handwriting—literary bent or emotional openness, for example—may now be conveyed by the act of putting pen to paper at all. Perlow has studied the practice of posting photos of handwritten poems on Instagram, and he told me that it “conjures a feeling of personal authenticity or expressiveness or direct contact with the personality of the poet.”

Tech companies have even tried to sell that feeling, in the form of computer-generated “handwriting.” Services such as Handwrytten, Simply Noted, and Pen Letters allow customers to type out a message that a robot will then transcribe, using an actual pen, in any number of “handwriting” styles. (The robot-written letter is then mailed on your behalf.) But these tools run the risk of conjuring less a sense of personal authenticity than one of inconsiderate laziness. If a friend or family member sent me one of these cards, I’d be annoyed that they didn’t put in the time, or the work, to write out a message with their own, human hand.

Perhaps that’s really what handwriting comes down to in the digital age: time and work. My husband and I write letters to each other a few times every year, and it’s a grueling act of love. Figuring out what I want to say is an emotional and intellectual project. But after a few paragraphs, the challenge becomes mostly physical. The muscles of my right palm start to cramp up; my ring finger aches from where I rest the pen against it. I’d like to think my determination to write through the discomfort says more about me than the script I settled on a decade ago.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...al-age/674673/

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 16th, 2023), Brilliant Bill (July 21st, 2023), carlos.q (July 15th, 2023), Chrissy (July 15th, 2023), Cyril (July 15th, 2023), forester (July 16th, 2023), Kaputnik (July 15th, 2023), mizgeorge (July 17th, 2023), Robalone (July 15th, 2023), Robert (July 15th, 2023), RobJohnson (July 15th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 16th, 2023), vdiantonio (July 26th, 2023), welch (August 8th, 2023), Yazeh (July 16th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: (article) How handwriting lost its personality (The Atlantic)

image.jpeg

Great article, thanks for posting.

In terms of handwriting, this is a letter from a boy's teacher commenting on his penmanship progress.

Eta Also thanks for The Atlantic, a new site to me and there looks to be some good reading material.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; July 15th, 2023 at 09:27 AM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (July 21st, 2023), catbert (July 15th, 2023), forester (July 16th, 2023), Kaputnik (July 15th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 16th, 2023), Yazeh (July 22nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

An interesting read, thanks.

Leaving aside the attempt to psychoanalyze people by samples of their handwriting, there is no doubt that people did develop distinctive styles of their own. And we learned to decypher a wide range of handwriting styles with little conscious effort, even though they differed widely from the copybook models that we learned in school.

I remember teasing my father about the way he wrote his middle initial, M, in his signature. It always looked like a W to me. But I had no trouble reading letters from him.

It's interesting to me how younger people seem to see almost any legible longhand as "calligraphy", even though to me it is just an everyday cursive. But perhaps if they compare enough samples, they can still begin to appreciate the expressiveness of individual styles.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 16th, 2023), catbert (July 15th, 2023), forester (July 16th, 2023), RobJohnson (July 15th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 16th, 2023), Yazeh (July 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you for reminding me to pull out my copy of Michael Sull's The Art of Cursive Penmanship and practice my handwriting.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 16th, 2023), forester (July 19th, 2023), Yazeh (July 17th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post

It's interesting to me how younger people seem to see almost any legible longhand as "calligraphy", even though to me it is just an everyday cursive. But perhaps if they compare enough samples, they can still begin to appreciate the expressiveness of individual styles.
    Indeed. People say "Wow, you're using a calligraphy pen."

Then it's time to write something with flair and panache.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 16th, 2023), Yazeh (July 22nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,500 Times in 1,754 Posts

Thanks for the article. I'm a writer and a hoarder, and try to give my writing some personality. Been trying since they kept me after class to try switching me from southpaw to a normal person.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 16th, 2023), forester (July 19th, 2023), Yazeh (July 17th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

In school, if you were ever graded on your execution of the Palmer Method, please raise your hand.
    (Ugh. What an ugly alphabet. I particularly hated some of those Palmer capital letters. I thought they were so goofy looking, especially the Q and the G and the F.)

Last edited by calamus; July 16th, 2023 at 06:40 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (July 21st, 2023), catbert (July 16th, 2023), forester (July 19th, 2023), R.A. Stewart (July 27th, 2023), welch (August 8th, 2023), Yazeh (July 17th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,828 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    In school, if you were ever graded on your execution of the Palmer Method, please raise your hand.
    (Ugh. What an ugly alphabet. I particularly hated some of those Palmer capital letters. I thought they were so goofy looking, especially the Q and the G and the F.)

Coincidentally, re that letter Q, a related article (I forget whether it was linked from the Atlantic piece above or the one about cursive in Ontario schools) said this:

The most recent shift occurred in 1990, when Zaner-Bloser eliminated all superfluous adornments from the so-called Zanerian alphabet. "They were nice and pretty and cosmetic," says Kathleen Wright, the company's national product manager, "but that isn't the purpose of handwriting anymore. The purpose is to get a thought across as quickly as possible." One of the most radical overhauls was to Q, after the U.S. Postal Service complained that people's sloppy handwriting frequently caused its employees to misread the capital letter as the number 2.
    The whole article here:
    https://content.time.com/time/subscr...912419,00.html

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

forester (July 19th, 2023), JulieParadise (July 18th, 2023), MKeith (August 11th, 2023), R.A. Stewart (July 27th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 18th, 2023)

Thanks

"A few minutes in the right way are worth more than hours of practice in the wrong way."

This is exactly why we have lost the the hand writing. The above small details is nothing at all to someone who docent care about improving one's hand writing.
    This is why there are very few who cares about writing and even to make a living as writing for others. Writing is a a wonderful part of our humanity that is still visible from here and there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 21st, 2023)

Thanks

This is delightful as I went through exactly this. And at first opportunity, I created my own Q, G and F!

As for, "Nothing less than failure can follow superficial study," what a strange statement. What could be less than failure? Abject failure? Death?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 27th, 2023), Doggy Daddy (December 26th, 2023), Lloyd (July 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,324 Times in 2,279 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Thanks for the article. I'm a writer and try to give my writing some personality.
    And an excellent one, if I may add

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Thanks for posting a very interesting read!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to vdiantonio For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 27th, 2023)

Thanks

I learned Palmer Method in school. Was never very good with it. Probably the biggest influence on my handwriting (such as it is) was learning Cyrillic script in the study of Russian, first on my own and then in college.
    “We go to the garrick now and become warbs.”--James Thurber

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R.A. Stewart For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 27th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 31st, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Thanks for the article. I'm a writer and try to give my writing some personality.
    I'll second that!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 31st, 2023), Yazeh (August 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    I'll second that!
    🥰

There's a local forum with a whole thread about this: kids not only can't write cursive, but can't read it. (Or tell time). I've always thought that handwriting was an important brain skill.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 13.25.50.jpg

Since the day Atlantic/ Lumarians lost it's all the civilisation which include the signs of communication in human culture and civilisation. most of the technology and i's existence vanished in to the unknown.
    It is happening again in our time. We have laser computer writers to mimic the Manuel hand writing we do humanly. We have iPads/ screens and pencils to camouflage our wanky, shaky crooked writings to look perfect writings so we don't need to read pages of writing Manuels before we put the real writing skills as pen strokes through writing tools on to the ink and paper. Centuries ago one have to be a successful businessman you have to master your penmanship and be a master on writing.

The rules goes on and own and it is like a religion.

Screen-Shot-2023-08-01-at-13.33.40.jpg

Screen-Shot-2023-08-01-at-13.37.52.jpg

Anything you make as a discipline as a religion then you get to a point.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 7th, 2023), MKeith (August 11th, 2023), Yazeh (August 1st, 2023)

Thanks

At one time, everyone who could read and write not only knew "cursive writing," but also knew how to do it with a (usually goose) quill. Not only were they initiates of the arcane arts of writing with a quill and reading material thus written, but also of the corollary arcane skill of cutting a feather into a quill. For many, many centuries, until maybe 150 years ago, every educated person in the world could cut and write with and maintain a quill (assuming they had the use of their hands, etc.).

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 7th, 2023), forester (August 8th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (August 7th, 2023), Yazeh (August 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Because I am nuts, I bought and collected a few quills, and tried cutting them with the help of a book. Never quite got the knack.

There was an enormous old ledger book filled with that kind of penmanship. It was entrancing. I would have bought it if the dealer had been selling it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 8th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 659 Posts

At one time, everyone who could read and write not only knew "cursive writing," but also knew how to do it with a (usually goose) quill. Not only were they initiates of the arcane arts of writing with a quill and reading material thus written, but also of the corollary arcane skill of cutting a feather into a quill. For many, many centuries, until maybe 150 years ago, every educated person in the world could cut and write with and maintain a quill (assuming they had the use of their hands, etc.).

I've yet to see 200 year old writings that look anywhere as awful as my daily hand...

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lloyd For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 8th, 2023), Yazeh (August 8th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I've yet to see 200 year old writings that look anywhere as awful as my daily hand...
    I think that the samples we are most likely to see of old handwritten documents are the ones, like the Declaration of Independence, over which the writers took some care. I have seen some examples of sloppy, hard to read writing from the 19th century at least, perhaps the 18th.

Recalling that Thoreau's friends used to complain about his terrible handwriting, it took only a moment to find an example. https://thoreau.library.ucsb.edu/wri...dwritingP.html

Feel better?
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

catbert (August 8th, 2023), JulieParadise (August 8th, 2023), Lloyd (August 8th, 2023), Yazeh (August 9th, 2023)