Thread: Pilot Varsity, no ink?

Thanks

Default Pilot Varsity, no ink?

Here's what may be seen as a stupid question -- is there a place where I can buy unfilled Varsities, so I can put my own preferred in them? I have written several Vs dry and refilled them, some more than once, but I would like to skip the stage where I'm writing them dry of the ink that comes in them.

D
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Varsity, no ink?

Dave,
    Not sure what method you use to fill a Varsity bit I use a syringe and a plastic tube. I have reversed the process and used the vacuum to draw the original ink out, flushed it with water, and then filled with whatever ink I want.
    Mike

Thanks

Manufacturer's warrantee on a $2 pen? O-o-okay.

@crobe, I use the same method to refill. Using that method to pull the ink out sounds scary, the kind of thing you would want to do outside.

Oh well; I did say it was a stupid question.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks
    Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post

@crobe, I use the same method to refill. Using that method to pull the ink out sounds scary, the kind of thing you would want to do outside.

Not stupid at all. I wish they made them empty. I bough a bunch and empty and filled them with the ink I wanted. They have very little evaporation. My wife had one, which still wrote after 10 years.... Really good utilitarian pens... On the other hand you can buy a platinum preppy and turn it into an eye dropper....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

To my knowledge, there's no place to buy empty varsities. Maybe frequent Varsity users will discover this and find it profitable via ebay.

Although they're fine as disposable pens, I never found them such amazing writers that I would want to refill one. There are plenty of inexpensive alternatives that are refillable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post

Not dangerous at all. The withdrawn ink ends up in the syringe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    To my knowledge, there's no place to buy empty varsities. Maybe frequent Varsity users will discover this and find it profitable via ebay.

Although they're fine as disposable pens, I never found them such amazing writers that I would want to refill one. There are plenty of inexpensive alternatives that are refillable.
    I sometimes will take a Varsity instead of an expensive pen just to play it safe. I have lost good pens before and it wasn’t a good feeling.
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crobe View Post
    Not dangerous at all. The withdrawn ink ends up in the syringe.
    You haven't seen me playing with ink

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

All this for a $2 pen?

Get a vintage Esterbrook and call me in the morning....lol😊