Thread: "The Booksellers": an enjoyable documentary with parallels to pen collecting

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default "The Booksellers": an enjoyable documentary with parallels to pen collecting

Looking for something to watch this evening, my wife had found a piece she thought I would like. She nailed it.

"The Booksellers" is a documentary on just that: the community of men and women that have populated the niche of book selling and collecting. It was fascinating, with a lot of historical background all the way through the current changes in their world, and whether (or how long) it will survive. For *anyone* who loves books, it's a must, but there are so many moments that have reminded me of pen collecting - especially vintage - that it made me long for the social aspect of this as well.

We pulled it up on Amazon Prime, but when looking on Youtube for the following trailer, it appears there are a couple of copies of the complete film there, too. And, man, there is one absolutely killer private library in the film. Recommended.

Last edited by Jon Szanto; November 30th, 2020 at 10:26 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (December 3rd, 2020), amk (December 2nd, 2020), catbert (December 1st, 2020), Chrissy (December 1st, 2020), da vinci (December 3rd, 2020), Freddie (December 1st, 2020), FredRydr (December 1st, 2020), Hawker800 (November 30th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (December 4th, 2020), RobJohnson (December 1st, 2020), Zoe (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: "The Booksellers": an enjoyable documentary with parallels to pen collecting

For people in England this program is available now on Sky Arts but only until December 3rd.

Can I also suggest 84 Charing Cross Road Jon, a movie rather than a documentary but still in the world of book collecting and again worth watching.

edit, I have now watched The Booksellers, really good and recommended.

So good that I had to pause the playback when I made some tea. Now that doesn't happen very often.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; December 1st, 2020 at 05:18 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 1st, 2020), Robert (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: "The Booksellers": an enjoyable documentary with parallels to pen collecting

It was/is a lovely documentary. I lived in NYC at the height of bookshop row on then 4th Avenue and remember books that leapt into my open arms,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoe For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

Can I also suggest 84 Charing Cross Road Jon, a movie rather than a documentary but still in the world of book collecting and again worth watching.
    The book on which the movie was based is a terrific read.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Couldn't agree more. If I can't be in a nice, old bookstore, I will gladly read books about them, movies, etc, etc. It was that aspect that really came through in the film, even up to (probably staged) shots where a book closes and dust flies around! And the smell of old books...

Well, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I was smacked by that short bit in the Walker (private) Library, and I found this silent (except music) video inside his place. Simply remarkable:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 1st, 2020), da vinci (December 3rd, 2020), Freddie (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I used to make the pilgrimage to Hay-on-Wye (population 1500, bookshops 30!). Was there when Bill Clinton gave a speech in 2001. Great place for fossicking.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ..."The Booksellers"....
    It is also available on Kanopy, the free subscription service through local libraries and the like.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jon

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.....Appreciate.

{ThumbsUpThingie}

Fred

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It is also available on Kanopy, the free subscription service through local libraries and the like.
    Thank you, Fred - I am now aware that my library card has expired! I'll take a trip down tomorrow and get set up, as Kanopy looks like a nice additional service.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.....Appreciate.
    Two Freds in a row, I'm a lucky guy! I'm glad you enjoyed it - it was such a surprise since it was my wife that found the film. I sat there with a silly grin as it unfolded.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

84, Charring Cross Road is one of my favorite books from childhood. I remember hearing it read over NPR on Saturday evenings. The book was surprisingly slender, but still an excellent read over a series of evening. There is also a memoir called Q’s Legacy that explains how Helene Hanff came about the story. From what I recall, the bookstore no longer exists, having been replaced by a McDonald’s two or three years ago. I think that there’s a movie as well, but I’ve never seen it. This book is well worth reading as excellent pandemic material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    84, Charring Cross Road is one of my favorite books from childhood. I remember hearing it read over NPR on Saturday evenings. The book was surprisingly slender, but still an excellent read over a series of evening. There is also a memoir called Q’s Legacy that explains how Helene Hanff came about the story. From what I recall, the bookstore no longer exists, having been replaced by a McDonald’s two or three years ago. I think that there’s a movie as well, but I’ve never seen it. This book is well worth reading as excellent pandemic material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charing Cross Road is known as the place for antiquarian book sellers. I collect early edition Jane Austens and books with fine bindings, especially quarter bound and books with edge paintings, these books shops are a treasure trove

The full movie is on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqFGTuyjBHI

My browser doesn't support this video but i hope from the description that this is a good link

Also available as an audiobook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvGsJL8RbaQ
    Last edited by Fermata; December 3rd, 2020 at 11:31 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I saw it a few weeks ago (Ana at The Well-Appointed Desk mentioned it). It was great.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a pile of ironing and other house work to do, I am going to put the Youtube audiobook on the TV and listen and enjoy, there are two very good actors doing the reading.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post: