Thread: Contemplating Next Pen Purchase

Thanks

Default Contemplating Next Pen Purchase

Hello All,
    I'm on the fence for my next pen purchase and have been for about a month now. The main contenders for me are
    Sheaffer PFM-
    Found one at a local store for about 175 USD but it looks like there might be a crack in the blind cap and the nib looks to be XF or F, while in a vintage pen I would spring for M. Not sure about durability compared to Parker 51s and if it were damaged it would be difficult to replace.
    Pelikan M600/M800-
    Don't know which of these sizes I want, but I have heard the M800s are a bit heavy, and I am not a fan of heavy pens. I lean towards the M600 but also towards the vintage 400NN, not sure which since they are approximately the same price.
    Vanishing Point Matte Black-
    Have one in the dark blue color but I imagine the black would give a little bit better grip, and if I just get another vanishing point I will have several nib units to use, with a F, M, and a stub if I purchased that with the new one. Considering a decimo because that would be a bit lighter too, not sure those come in the matte black.
    Aurora 88-
    Something about this appeals to me but I'm not sure why. I doubt it would be as durable as the 51 and likely need repair work for the piston.
    Pilot 743/823-
    This is the bottom of my list with regards to a new pen, I wouldn't be a big fan of cleaning out the 823 and the 743 seems to me that it isn't worth the asking price vs something like the CH 74 or something of the like. Maybe a Platinum 3776 would be a better option?

Please advise

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linkoiram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Contemplating Next Pen Purchase

If it is an older Aurora 88 with the hooded nib then that would definitely be my choice from those listed. For the last year or so my daily pen has been an older Aurora 888P and it may well be my most reliable fountain pen.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    If it is an older Aurora 88 with the hooded nib then that would definitely be my choice from those listed. For the last year or so my daily pen has been an older Aurora 888P and it may well be my most reliable fountain pen.

Yep, that was what I meant. Vintage preferred. What is the difference between the Aurora 88 models?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linkoiram For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Will consider the E95, I have been thinking about getting a nicer pocket pen for a while too. Looks very similar to the pentel Kerry pencil that I picked up last week, which I enjoy.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linkoiram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

If it was my list, I'd also choose the Aurora, but condition of all these pens remains a major influence on choice.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

The vintage 88s are awesome. In terms of reliability it really depends on the model. The original 88s, designed by Marcello Nizzoli and made from celluloid and ebonite, are IMO the most beautiful, but their feed system is not the most burp resistant. I've had several and none was completely reliable (in the sense of not leaking) in daily carry. Some of those nibs are wonderful though! Jar's 888 is a modernized later model (4th generation, after the 88K and 88P), made iirc entirely of plastic, with a cartridge filling system. The overall styling is similar, but the feel in the hand is probably a bit different--a product of materials being different and the girth being slightly thinner. Maybe the 88P is a happy medium--these have more burp-resistant feeds but retain the visulated window and celluloid of the Nizzoli model (less his gently-curved clip)
    I have found well kept vintage 400s to be one of the most reliable fountain pens, actually. The nibs aren't as soft as the Auroras, but the flex capability is there. And they're very consistent, nimble writers. If you're attracted to tortoise celluloid at all, I would strongly consider the 400.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; December 1st, 2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Robert (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Of the pens mentioned, i would go with the Pelikan 400NN. I prefer wider nibs and vintage German pens have great ones. Modern Pelikans do not compare.

If you prefer finer nibs, you could go with the Aurora 88. They’re quite reliable.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

I have several of the pens mentioned so here's a summary of my thoughts on them:

Pelikan 400nn - beautiful body (tortoise stripe), excellent piston, flexy vintage nib but hooks down like a parrot beak not up like a modern nib. I enjoy how it grabs the paper but in a cushioned way. One thing I don't like is the grip area but I tend to hold my pens high up and move my fingers around a lot.

Pilot matte black VP - yes, it is easy to hold and I prefer its weight to the Decimo (I have a champagne decimo; it is slightly slimmer and noticeably lighter). I love the retractable nib action and the yielding nib. I got 2 specialty nibs which I enjoy a lot: an architect (from the nibmsith) and a stub.

Pilot custom 74: my always inked pen with the SFM nib. I do prefer the cushioned feeling of a soft nib. I also think the CON70 converter on these are the best thing since sliced bread, almost as good as Pelikan's piston filler action.

Platinum century 3776: the best value pen after the pilot custom 74. If you like feedback then this is the pen for you. Really good pricing and many color and nib options (unlike Pilot who only place the specialty nibs on black bodies). Was my favourite model until I got the Pilot Custom 74 SFM. Platinum does offer soft nibs as well but I can't feel a difference between the regular F and the SF that I have.

My grail pen would be a Pilot Custom 743 with #15 FA nib but I can't bring myself to spend that much money on a pen. I'm really enjoying a Falcon pen for now (downward beaked nib shape).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

Thanks

While this wasn’t on your list, the older 14K nibbled Sailor Profit pens have amazing nibs. These nibs are simpler in design (don’t have the fancy scrollwork), and are somehow different than their current nibs, which are not something to snivel at.

If you aren’t looking for a pen with a large girth, you can sometimes find a Sailor “The Lifetime Pen” for a reasonable price in good condition.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    While this wasn’t on your list, the older 14K nibbled Sailor Profit pens have amazing nibs. These nibs are simpler in design (don’t have the fancy scrollwork), and are somehow different than their current nibs, which are not something to snivel at.

If you aren’t looking for a pen with a large girth, you can sometimes find a Sailor “The Lifetime Pen” for a reasonable price in good condition.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not a huge fan of the Sailor Pro Gear, I liked how it wrote but the size was too small for me, possibly the cigar shaped 1911 would be more to my liking. I had a Pro Gear Standard.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linkoiram For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A Smug Dill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linkoiram View Post
    I had a Pro Gear Standard.
    Do you mean the full-sized Professional Gear (sometimes referred to as the Professional Gear ‘Classic’), with model number beginning with 11-2*, or the Professional Gear Slim which has about the same girth as the Profit Standard (aka 1911 Standard or 1911 Medium), with model number beginning with 11-1*?
    It had a 21 karat nib, so the Pro Gear Classic, no?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linkoiram For This Useful Post: