Thread: Quick question: how many possible wrong tubes can you swallow food into?

Thanks

Question Quick question: how many possible wrong tubes can you swallow food into?

This is such a silly question, and this is probably the wrong place it to ask, but I don't know where to ask? You guys are my people!

Yesterday, I wasn't paying attention while eating, and I accidentally swallowed food what seems to be the wrong tube - it felt like a narrow tube near the surface of my throat. I felt a sharp pain as the food (a piece of macaroni) went down, and I laid down on the floor for half and hour crying because of it... I didn't know if I was going to die.

Today I feel better now, but I still feel a sort of lump or pain around that area, and I don't know if it is psychological or not.

I know you guys are going to tell me to go see a doctor, just pretend I am asking for a friend. When you swallow food - are there only two tubes that the food can potentially go down? I assume to the lungs or the stomach? Or are there more tubes that the food can accidentally go into?

This is such a stupid question, sorry!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Quick question: how many possible wrong tubes can you swallow food into?

two.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

jace (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: Quick question: how many possible wrong tubes can you swallow food into?

if it's not in your esophagus or your windpipe, you definy need to see a doctor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Like legal advice, relying on medical advice elicited from a forum like this carries real risk.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 22nd, 2021), jar (December 1st, 2020), Jon Szanto (December 31st, 2020), manoeuver (December 1st, 2020), Stands on Feet (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Like legal advice, relying on medical advice elicited from a forum like this carries real risk.
    I totally understand that. I'm getting older now, and plus my life is not good enough to care about "real risk" that much any more.

Thanks

Since you don't mention coughing or choking, it almost certainly wasn't your windpipe. I'd hazard a guess that your esophagus cramped up, kind of like having a charlie horse. I'd visit a doctor, just in case.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

jace (December 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Yeah. We're pen guys. We know all about medicine.

Go to a doctor. It's what they're for.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post

I totally understand that. I'm getting older now, and plus my life is not good enough to care about "real risk" that much any more.
    OMG This observation is more troubling than macaroni going down the wrong tube. If you really mean it, you're better off committing suicide on your own terms rather than waiting for some dopey accident.
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kaliuzhkin For This Useful Post:

jace (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

CAVEAT: I have no medically qualifications beyond basic life saving, i.e. first aid, CPR, Heimlich technique, and rescue breathing.

Your throat branches into the windpipe (trachea) and the food pipe (esophagus) a short distance below the level of the chin. There is a 'valve' or 'flap' that closes one or the other off depending upon whether one is breathing of swallowing food. In most cases when one chokes on 'food that went down the wrong way' he or she was inhaling at the same time as he or she was swallowing something. This has potentially serious risks if it occurs on a frequent basis since it can cause other lung issues.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/ana...esophagus.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

jace (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Just for fun we can add 2 other tubes. Have you ever laughed while drinking milk? Where the milk come from? The nose of course. So, have a bowl of Capt. Crunch and watch Christmas Vacation or Caddy Shack and it is likely the Capt. could come out of your nose. There is pipe number #3. Eating Capt. Crunch while laughing during a scene with Cousin Eddie and the force of the laugh could result in Capt. Crunch going into your eustachian tube which would be pipe #4.
    Last edited by Roe D Hym; December 31st, 2020 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks

The amount of pain you describe indicates it`s not entirely faulty to check with a doctor. I personally don`t go to the doctor for things that likely will sort it self out. The body always have to do the work itself, even if it sometimes can need some help. You have waited it out, and if you feel better and everything related to swallowing and breathing is fine, you are by far most likely all right. Most things have been mentioned, but I would add; you probably hit your epiglottis or twisted it in some unpleasant way. You can of course have all kinds of hiccups in that area, sharp item blocking or interfering with the swallowing actions, a well boiled macaroni is usually no problem. Chew your food better and don`t breath while swallowing are always good advice ;- ) These actions are of course controlled by reflexes and when something goes wrong it always comes as a surprise. Take all advice with a pinch of salt, trust your self more than anyone else.
    Last edited by arrow; June 21st, 2021 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Yeah, don't worry about it unless it was a vegetable.

A Massachusetts man who was rushed to hospital with a collapsed lung came home with an unusual diagnosis: a pea plant was growing in his lung.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-10945050
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I don't blame anyone but this is happening every where in forums.
    In photo forums someone ask " I am going to .... ( a place on holiday... I have two camera bags..( explain.....) I have two lenses or several and camera body (...explain ) So can you suggest me which bag or the gear I must pack. So what photos I must shoot or places I must choose) So my reading in this case.. this person is not co-dependance and always in someone else boots.
    Is this coming from the environment we live or the life style. EX. we are living in the top level of technology and we can't move , take any decision with out an app or GPS.
    Or in that above case of doing holiday photography without being in some one else's boots.

I don't blame this scenario as now-a days we can't trust a DOCTORS as most of them ARE THERE TO roll out their higher orders or agendas to sell just one thing to every body.
    Lot of people are their own doctors now and it is the best way. Know about your self and your health. It docent cost you anything but if you depend on others it will cost your life.

DOCTERS USED TO SAY ''DON'T BE YOUR OWN DOCTER '" now we know why they "FDA'" = god farther of PHARMA said it and DOCTORS USED IT AS A MAGIC TEACHING SYMBOL.

We exactly have to be our own doctors, and take care of our " body as a temple" folks.
    Last edited by Cyril; June 22nd, 2021 at 09:51 AM.