Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have pen peace?

Thanks

Default Re: Do you have pen peace?

Yes. Very odd. It appears to originate from Detman101's post and possibly as a result of a confusion of Quote and List coding. Perhaps he could edit it.

As a stop gap, you can view the obscured posts if you change the setting in the "Display" drop down menu to Threaded mode and click on them individually. Assuming you have the "Display" option on mobile, which perhaps you don't. Top right just above the first post on the page.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

I see it too

I also think it emanates from Detman's post #11. I hope he might be able to edit it.

I've sent him a PM to see if he can delete it
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 3rd, 2020 at 04:06 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 3rd, 2020), ethernautrix (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

I’m having the same problem. I posted in the thread a couple times but my posts are invisible.

I use mobile 99% of the time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Fixed.
    EDIT: This is precisely why I failed at CS coding in college and changed majors.
    I don't possess enough of an attention span to trace back all of the openings and closings and bah...not for me.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Detman101; December 3rd, 2020 at 06:32 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (December 4th, 2020), fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2020), grainweevil (December 3rd, 2020), mizgeorge (December 3rd, 2020), Seattleite (December 4th, 2020), Stands on Feet (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Fixed

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Good job. Thank you.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

There's such a thing as 'pen peace?'
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 28th, 2021)

Thanks

This type of question keeps popping up in one form or another on every forum. Collecting pens is a voluntary activity. if you do it long enough you will find that the desire to own more and different pens ebbs and flows. Stop when you need to. That can mean you are just tired of keeping up with the latest and greatest. It can mean that you take time to appreciate (re-appreciate) what you have already acquired. It might mean that you want to save or spend your money elsewhere. It might mean that you have found all that you desire. It could be a decision completely personal to you. There is no virtue or disgrace in changing your attitude towards fountain pens, or collecting. (This of course assumes you are spending your money responsibly)
    I have been writing almost exclusively with fountain pens since the late 1960's. I am adamant about my collection and will always write with a fountain pen. I own more pens now, than ever before because i want to. I have five pens, but I have six bottles of ink. What more could I reasonably ask for?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sphere For This Useful Post:

bunyip (December 3rd, 2020), fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't want any more pens. I have lost interest in buying any more. I think I would like to unload most of the stuff bought after 2010. Keeping Parker 51s and Sheaffer Imperials and maybe the Snorkels. TaTa Waterman and Pelikan. Bye-bye Parker 45 and Lamy.

Thanks

I don't aspire to anxiety. I've got a pen (actually several), I've got ink, and I'm writing. I appreciate what I have and I don't particularly want more pens.

I'll buy a low cost pen if I feel I need one for a particular ink or other purpose, and I'm not adverse to buying a particularly desirable pen if I happen to develop an interest in it. I don't really like new, modern, or unused pens, so there's not much to tempt me any more.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

jace (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

I don't think that I want Pen Peace. I don't mind having my psyche tugged at by pens. Ok, I'm the one doing the tugging. I think that I have learned to be content with not being at Peace, perhaps. I enjoy the tension of wanting but not having, having but no longer wanting, and etc. I love the hunt, understanding that you often end up empty handed. I enjoy enhancing the value of a pen (to me), by learning about it, fixing it, or having other pens that provide context for it. I have learned how to break the occasional pen and feel all of the emotions that come out to play. I enjoy moving a pen that I no longer care about, but once did... an acknowledgement of my journey with the hobby. I have even started to face a personally difficult-to-confront habit of hoarding bits and pieces that I rescue so that I can fix them "someday". Maybe I will, mostly I won't... We'll see. My attitude and perspective has been changing, and I am certain that there will come a time when I won't want the burden of a pen collection. I will probably miss some of them when they are gone. Won't miss them at all when I'm gone. If you can't find Peace, it will find you.

On this forum, I am trying to learn how to share pendom in a broader community. It is not always Peaceful.

Bob

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 3rd, 2020), fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2020), jace (December 3rd, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post
    • Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?
    No.

• How do you manage to curb temptations?
    I look at the price.

• If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?
    Not quite the heady heights of M1000s and Urushi finishes, which are just not on the radar.

An olivine M205 with a gold nib, if there are any left
    A Parson's Essential, if there are any left
    An amber Waterman Carene
    A green Parker 45 Coronet
    Something vintage in a nice green herringbone
    Off the top of my head.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Totally at peace, just using my P51´s the vintage collection will go to my granddaughters.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wahl For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 3rd, 2020), Jerome Tarshis (December 7th, 2020), Seattleite (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

I hope I can reach this point. I have actually reached the point to where I don't just spring for the pen but realize that I have enough to use that I hem and haw about a purchase for a significant amount of time before purchasing. I am also solidly split on whether I want to keep getting more vintage pens or just stick to modern pens. Vintage pens represent a great value and a link to the past that I like, but modern pens are all but guaranteed to write and the nibs are less of a mystery until you get it. Modern pens also work with any ink and are easily replaceable for the most part.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linkoiram For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 3rd, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I don't want any more pens. I have lost interest in buying any more. I think I would like to unload most of the stuff bought after 2010. Keeping Parker 51s and Sheaffer Imperials and maybe the Snorkels. TaTa Waterman and Pelikan. Bye-bye Parker 45 and Lamy.
    Loosing interest varies from person to person. Do I need a pen or want to experience a pen is significant difference of need. Since I didnt have a daddy with a Parker 51, I might have a different need.

Thanks

Y’all must have seen this one before - but still:

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

A Smug Dill (December 3rd, 2020), Detman101 (December 3rd, 2020), jace (December 3rd, 2020), Jerome Tarshis (December 7th, 2020), mana (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Do you have pen peace?

1. Peace with?

No, not yet. I am very happy with what I have, but there are still beauties to long for. Unfortunately my main interest goes towards Japanese artworks. With moderation. The maki-e Namiki Emperor or Yukari Royale are a big bridge too far for me.

2. Managing of?

Self-imposed budget restraints. Hard-core discipline. Difficult. As I want to limit the number of pens, this anguish extends to selecting pens that will need to go at one point to make place for new ones.

3. Aching for?

I have a Nakaya and a Hakase in backorder, due next year. But there are two more Hakases (wood and horn) on the horizon, one Pelikan (M805 in blue) and one Italian pen (Aurora 88 big silver). The latter as it has the perfect 50s style vibe. And to complete having pens from all three axis powers. After that only inks...
    Last edited by Linger; December 3rd, 2020 at 11:43 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
    This type of question keeps popping up in one form or another on every forum. Collecting pens is a voluntary activity. if you do it long enough you will find that the desire to own more and different pens ebbs and flows. Stop when you need to. That can mean you are just tired of keeping up with the latest and greatest. It can mean that you take time to appreciate (re-
    appreciate) what you have already acquired. It might mean that you want to save or spend your money elsewhere. It might mean that you have found all that you desire. It could be a decision completely personal to you. There is no virtue or disgrace in changing your attitude towards fountain pens, or collecting. (This of course assumes you are spending your money responsibly)
    I have been writing almost exclusively with fountain pens since the late 1960's. I am adamant about my collection and will always write with a fountain pen. I own more pens now, than ever before because i want to. I have five pens, but I have six bottles of ink. What more could I reasonably ask for?
    That's exactly it for me, at this point almost 10 years in: an uneven tide, an ebb and flow. I seem to have become entrenched in my particular interests at this point, which rules out any real possibility of acquiring the vast majority of pens; yet I can't always predict where they'll lead and when they'll push me over the edge into a purchase. I just bought a late-model vintage Aurora Optima, a pen I've long been vaguely familiar with, but didn't think about much or seek out. What made me jump was the celluloid--its unique blue swirl. But it had already fit many of my central underlying interests: top-of-the-line design quirkiness, well-sized flexible nibs, good ergonomics, celluloid/hard rubber only etc. So this was a flow of collecting interest, and I'm quite happy with it--the Optima is a very distinct and special pen, not the least because of its chunkiness. The pleasure and expectation of developing a particular range of uses for this new pen will allow my acquisition interest to ebb for now. This is also because I've maxed-out the number of pens I can appreciate having, which seems to be maybe 5-8. The optima is my 7th. I should also note that some of the pens I currently have need restoration, which is another form of pleasant expectation and reward for me--I love putting long-forgotten pens back into use.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Loosing interest varies from person to person. Do I need a pen or want to experience a pen is significant difference of need. Since I didnt have a daddy with a Parker 51, I might have a different need.
    My dad had a Parker 51, which motivated me to buy one in 1970. After a while I started collecting them. I really like them better than other pens. I have found a kind of peace, because I have enough pens that I can always find some pen to use from my own collection and not want to buy any more, using today a Parker Insignia, now a Sonnet, and always a Parker 51, yesterday the cocoa demi set, today a midnight blue 51. I have enough pens that I always seem to be able to find something interesting not used in a while. But always, every day, some 51.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Jerome Tarshis (December 7th, 2020), mana (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    My dad had a Parker 51, which motivated me to buy one in 1970. After a while I started collecting them. I really like them better than other pens. I have found a kind of peace, because I have enough pens that I can always find some pen to use from my own collection and not want to buy any more, using today a Parker Insignia, now a Sonnet, and always a Parker 51, yesterday the cocoa demi set, today a midnight blue 51. I have enough pens that I always seem to be able to find something interesting not used in a while. But always, every day, some 51.
    I'm with you man. Parker 51 is the most numerous pen that I have, although my favorite pen is the Lamy 2000 because it writes better than 51s IME but 51s are damn near perfect pens. Haven't had good luck with fine nibs being particularly wet though

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linkoiram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Just curious:

• Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?

From the view point of a collector of vintage pens, there is no contradiction between having peace with the collection and buying new pens. That is the meaning of collecting. Of course, I also sell pens that fits no longer to the collection. But my collection is then complete when I'm dead.

Just curious:

• How do you manage to curb temptations?

one important question to ask before buying is: "does it fit to my collection or is it just nice?"

Of course I am writing with pens too, butb these are always the same five pens (and yes, there is a P"51" too, it's my favourite).

C.
    Last edited by christof; December 4th, 2020 at 09:10 AM.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 7th, 2020), Jerome Tarshis (December 7th, 2020), mana (December 4th, 2020)