Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have pen peace?

Thanks

Default Re: Do you have pen peace?

I'm in the odd situation of avoiding inking up my new pen. I would never let it just sit there. I will ink it up. But...

What if I'm disappointed? What if I pick the wrong ink? What if I clean it wrong and damage it? What if it's just ordinary?

This is a Pilot Custom Urushi in black with a MF nib, and yes, I'm sorry you just had to read through that silliness. It will be inked (I swear I swear I swear) this week with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai. Maybe I'll have pen peace?
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post
    What if I'm disappointed? What if I pick the wrong ink? What if I clean it wrong and damage it? What if it's just ordinary?
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (July 14th, 2021), VertOlive (October 28th, 2021)

Thanks

I'm in the odd situation of avoiding inking up my new pen. I would never let it just sit there. I will ink it up. But...

This is a Pilot Custom Urushi in black with a MF nib, and yes, I'm sorry you just had to read through that silliness. It will be inked (I swear I swear I swear) this week with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai. Maybe I'll have pen peace?
    Dare I mention world renown physicists, boxes and cats here? Seriously; ink the bl**dy pen!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (July 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Why not remove all doubt regarding ink choice and ink it up with Tsuki-Yo instead?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post

Why not remove all doubt regarding ink choice and ink it up with Tsuki-Yo instead?
    Step 1: Acquire bottle of Tsuki-Yo...

I currently have Asa-Gao, Shin-Ryoku, and Shin-Kai... I plan to order bottles of Kon-Peki and Yama-Budo. A sample of Tsuki-Yo and Take-Sumi should probably be included.

I reach for Pilot Blue-Black and Noodler's Ink Dark Matter regularly, but sometimes I want just a bit more. Does pen peace include ink-stability?
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

I've had all of the Iroshizuku inks and I couldn't recommend Yama Budo, Kon Peki and Take Sumi more. They're all amazing inks, my top 3 of the whole line, except for one, which I consider the best: Tsuki Yo. Tsuki Yo, paired with a Pilot Custom 823 FA bought me pen peace for more than 2 years! And I do mean pen peace, during this time I didn't buy a single ink or pen.

Then Montblanc released the calligraphy nib and I'm back in full swing to find *the* perfect ink and paper combo for this nib.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adhoc For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

When this thread first came up in December, I said that I had pen peace. Now, more than six months later, I am even more at peace. I have the inks I want and the pens I want, and to be truthful, there are some of each that I did not have in December.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 16th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (July 15th, 2021), TFarnon (July 26th, 2021)

Thanks

I've found the pen I love.
    I've found the flex nib I love.
    I've found the inks I love.
    I've even found the paper I love.

Yeah...I think I'm at peace.
    Only thing left is to die and be buried with my pen.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (July 16th, 2021)

Thanks

Yes... I was being silly. It's amazing.

20210715_173555.jpg20210715_173117_001.jpg

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (July 15th, 2021), guyy (July 16th, 2021), rkesey (July 18th, 2021), silverlifter (July 15th, 2021)

Thanks

[*]Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?

Good questions! The short answer is {{{nope}}}. I wasn't going to imperil myself by answering these questions, but the more I tried to mentally avoid it, the more it flipped a booger on me. So here I stray. To answer your first question, I have been in a lather for 35 + years and am still frothing daily.

I have numerous pens. They typically reside in 48 slot zippered pen cases appointed to the manufacturer. 2 of them for modern Montblancs including Writers Editions and 1 for vintage, 1 for Omas and ASC. 1 for Aurora, Marlen, Penieder, and other Italian makers, 1 for Parkers including vintage and various English makers, 1 for Pelikans and diverse German makers, and other binders dedicated to many makers and one offs and others that I will never have enough of to fill a 48 slot binder dedicated to their maker. You get the idea.

Then there are the Japanese pens which reside in nicer glass / drawered cases and are in a wholly distinct world of their own. I was introduced to them about 8 years ago by a friend who challenged me to asses Japanese Urushi and Maki-e fountain pens. From that time, this aspect of pen collecting is no longer just pen collecting, but art collecting.

And the master craftsmanship of these pens is astonishing. Not just delightful, intricate, and layered paintings, some of them being painted with a brush that has a single hair in order to get the detail desired by the artist, but also intense deep finishes created by refining tree sap into a lacquer that is related to poison oak, ivy, and sumac. Also many of them have a story to tell.

More about Urushi here: https://www.apprenticeshop.org/lates...19/11/7/urushi

[*]How do you manage to curb temptations?

I remind myself that I will have no place to keep my pens safe if I am living in a refrigerator box.

I also will go out on the web and find really nice photographs of the pens on my want list, bring them into Lightroom, clean them up if necessary, and put them in a folder that I use for my screen backgrounds. That seems to work for a while. Kind of like a nicotine patch.

[*]If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?

Just one more!

Added tidbit: A pen with a story to tell.

I purchased this one several years back. A lovely example of Raden.

Sailor Raden Sakura Nagare

THE PEN'S ORIGIN- This Sakura Nagare fountain pen was commissioned by the Japanese Public Foundation for Peace and Consolation in 2009. It was made to pay respect to veterans deployed overseas near the end of WWII, who were denied military pension. In 2009, these qualified veterans were offered a choice of gifts as part of their recognition. This pen was one of the choices. The pen was made in 2010, after being chosen. As a result, only a select number were made.

Veteran's recognition of course is not new. But the qualification for this pen and the design itself reveals a deeper meaning.

THE PEN'S DESIGN- The design of this pen depicts Japanese cherry blossoms "Sakura" floating down a river "Nagare" in spring time. The riverside is made of powered gold. The river and cherry blossoms are made from hand-laid mother of pearl. The design is finished with multiple layers of pure urushi lacquer. The entire process took 8 months to complete incorporating a number of complex maki-e techniques.

This design was inspired by kyokusui-no-en (winding stream party), a 1000-year-old Japanese game. In this game, the first person writes a poem and floats a cup of sake down the stream. The next person, must write a poem of their own before the cup reaches them. Once it does, the drink in honor of participation and float a refilled cup of sake to the next person and the game is continued. After everyone has played the game, they share their poems in friendly competition.

On this pen, the Japanese cherry blossom represents both the floating sake and the beauty of Japan in spring. It symbolizes the beauty of culture and life the young are deprived of in war. Often with no recognition of what was asked of them and what was lost.

I am a lot like this guy. I have corresponded with Professor Delisay several time and he is a great mentor and teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkfgJtuS70

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (July 15th, 2021), TFarnon (July 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Congratulations! Lovely pen of great quality! Nothing in the world of lacquers like Urushi!

The other pens are sweet also!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (July 15th, 2021), TammysPenPassion (July 16th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I was at school in the fifties. The pace seemed to be much the same as it was when my kids were at school in the seventies and eighties. It would take someone a little older than me to attest to the workplace pace. I think these comparisons with former times tend to be a bit gold-tinged. I'm sure that if you were a labourer working on capital projects in the forties and fifties you might think the pace was quite quick enough.
    I'll say that the good old days weren't that good. Nor were they heaps better.

What I believe made life slower was that we didn't have the technology we have today. Our instant and constant connectivity via the internet and mobile phones for instance seemingly tempts us to to use every waking moment productivity instead of doing nothing but relaxing.
    We can reject the technology arms race. There is now a "right to repair" movement vis à vis household appliances and electronic devices.

In the meantime, handwritten letters, paper books, gelatin silver prints from black and white film.

And I'm at pen peace. And gear peace.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

Mentally, I'm at pen peace. I have all the pens I want. Or rather, I don't feel a burning desire to find and purchase any particular pen. I am still a fool for anything that catches my eye, new or old. That's why 8 inexpensive Platinum pens arrived in the mail from Aliexpress. And I immediately took the plunge for the Estie in the Sea Glass colorway. Because I used to love sea glass as a kid, and because I love aqua and turquoise colors. I do keep my pen spending within my financial abilities. I don't have any credit card bills that aren't paid off in full at least twice a month. So far, my pen wants are all attainable.

In short, I've reached pen peace, but that doesn't mean I've reached pen homeostasis. I'll continue to buy pens that appeal to me.

Thanks

I am not yet at pen peace, but getting closer.

I start to see the end of my frantic acquiring, which is good as I clearly overdid it the past two years. It is now more quality over quantity.

I do steer clear of the supersized pens though. I stick to the Custom 845 and will not try the Custom Urushi, as that would open the door to Emperors, and the Yukari Royale is perfect enough. Well, perhaps after winning the lottery. Goldfishes or Owls or Kingfishers…

But still some pens on order, some on the wishlist. A slightly larger pen box is on the horizon too (one from toyocraft to be precise).

As for inks, I am at peace. Already too many bottles that remain unused, as others are preferred. Primarily Montblanc, Iroshizuku and Shikiori, with some Taccia recently added.

However, the thirst for more and different paper and stationary will never be quenched, I am afraid.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (July 18th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post
    Just curious:

• Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?
    • How do you manage to curb temptations?
    • If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?
    1. LOL no. But I am becoming more certain that I know what I like--medium-large to large pens, nothing too heavy or too long (though a bit on the long side is fine if it's also on the lighter side), broad/stub/music nibs--which cuts down on the impulse purchases that end up on the to-sell stack, including the most expensive pen I've ever had, a Visconti Desert Falls stub that is gorgeous and writes well but is just a bit heavy for my taste (not that I've sold anything on the open market yet--some day I'll dare).
    2. It helps that most of the dozen or so pens I'm still very eager to try are out of my price range at the moment (at least until I sell some of the... see above). And that my collection as it stands has a solid half-dozen that are forever keepers, delightful in the hand, beautiful, faithful starters.
    3. Oh, a bunch. Off the top of my head, a few vintage pens (Pelikan 400NN, Aurora 88, an Omas Paragon or Ogiva, an MB Kafka), and a few new (a Nakaya Decapod, an Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl or Menlo in Sweet Honey...)

Thanks

I have the 823, currently inked with Tsuki-Yo….but I almost always have at least one pen with Shin Kai in it. It is the most perfect ink, in my opinion. Right now it’s in my Pilot Decimo. I think all the medium to dark shade Iroshizuku inks are remarkable

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Igraine For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (July 18th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    I was at school in the fifties. The pace seemed to be much the same as it was when my kids were at school in the seventies and eighties. It would take someone a little older than me to attest to the workplace pace. I think these comparisons with former times tend to be a bit gold-tinged. I'm sure that if you were a labourer working on capital projects in the forties and fifties you might think the pace was quite quick enough.
    I'll say that the good old days weren't that good. Nor were they heaps better.

What I believe made life slower was that we didn't have the technology we have today. Our instant and constant connectivity via the internet and mobile phones for instance seemingly tempts us to to use every waking moment productivity instead of doing nothing but relaxing.
    We can reject the technology arms race. There is now a "right to repair" movement vis à vis household appliances and electronic devices.

In the meantime, handwritten letters, paper books, gelatin silver prints from black and white film.

And I'm at pen peace. And gear peace.
    I've been following Mr. Rossmann for years and the right to repair is something he truly is passionate about. I am happy how successful he has been, especially lately. In France, the right to repair has been recognized, but as Rossmann says, we have to be vigilant it's not too little, because then the companies can still intelligently screw you over with added "you have a right to repair, what more do you want" argument.

For example, you have a right to repair, but all the components become proprietary and are sold at ludicrous prices, think prices of motherboards beyond even whole new computers. Yes, you have a right to repair, but you still won't be able to use that right.

Considering Apple is moving into proprietary CPUs, they're just a hop away from making all of the components proprietary.
    Last edited by adhoc; July 18th, 2021 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks

Even if I haven't achieved total pen peace, I have discovered something about my buying habits: If the pen is under $100, and it appeals to me, I'll probably buy it without any hesitation. Between $100 and $300, I'll look carefully at how it fits into my collection, appeals to my tastes, and the quality of the pen. I'm likely to buy anything in that range that meets those criteria and doesn't have a huge number of negative ratings. From $300 to $500, it has to really appeal to me, be of the expected good quality, and fit into my collection. And over $500, it has to take my breath away, as well as the other criteria.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

At peace for now. My collection is aimed at iconic American pens (Conklin Endura and Glider; Sheaffer Jade Lifetime and Balance w/matching pencils, Touchdown and Snorkel;, Parker Big Red and pencils & P-51; Wahl-Eversharp Flat-top and Skyline) and modern pens that are good writers (Pelikan M100N and Souverän 800; Aurora Ipsilon Gold, Parker pearl-gray International, Sheaffer/Levenger Seven Seas). I've also restored pens from Conway Stewart and other makes that just popped into view. Besides restoring, I do fair amount of swapping and selling.

Didn't have a wood pen, and I saw a new oversize Conklin in ebony with a stub nib, so I got it and am not impressed. Bloody thing leaks.

I do an occasional scan of catalogues and listings, but have not been tempted. Fun to look.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

My pen peace was shattered when my darling gave me a gift certificate for a catalogue, and the only two things that appealed to me were a leather bookweight and
    . . . a new fountain pen.

For the record, I don't have a steel-bodied pen with a guilloche finish and gold-plated trim. Yet.
    Last edited by Chip; August 12th, 2021 at 07:42 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 8th, 2021)