Thread: pen squirt

Thanks

Default pen squirt

Hi All,

I was writing with one of my new pens that I found at an antique store over the weekend. The Champion actually is functional after a good cleaning and writes quite well. But I have two questions:

1) When I write with it every so often it blurts out a blob of ink. Is this cause for alarm other than the ruined paper I was writing on? I am sure it probably could use a good rebuild/cleaning.
    2) Does anyone know anything about these pens. Other than it was probably a lower budget pen when new. The clip on the cap is crimped on so I am guessing 60-70's.

Thank you,

Mike

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1930artdeco For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: pen squirt

I don't know the answer, and having had the same experience, I would like one too

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

What kind of filling system is it? Sometimes, hand warmth can make a pen blurp.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

A circa 1932 Esterbrook Dollar Pen did this a few times and so it was retired from work related use after an embarrasing incident.with a client....LOL!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A picture would help, but I have seen pens with a crimped on clip marked Champion which I would date more to the 30s - 40s, based on style and materials used. Some of these lower priced vintage pens can be pretty attractive. That you can get one to write is a good start. There are a few reasons for burping. Maybe just having some liquid in it for a while, and some flushing will help, but a leaky sac is up there on the list.

Bob

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seattleite For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    A circa 1932 Esterbrook Dollar Pen did this a few times and so it was retired from work related use after an embarrasing incident.with a client....LOL!!
    Sounds like Waterman.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Thanks

7DAED71A-D97C-4269-868F-BF437736D2F9.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. It is a lever fill pen and yes I was excited to find that I could use it right at the get go. But the burping is very annoying.

Mike

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1930artdeco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

There are a number of reasons why a pen will burp like that. One, as has been noted, is that the sac is weak or failing. Another is heat from your hand, but that is less likely. Another is a poorly designed, or cheaply made feed. A third tier pen like this often has them. Its possible too that the nib feed has not been set properly against the nib. If you can slide a piece of paper between the nib and feed, its not set properly. Another is that the pen may not have filled completely. Even a well made, modern pen can burp when it is nearly empty. I've quoted the modern Parker repair manual many times... Under "complaint: pen floods." the remedy is "Tell the customer to fill the pen."

Being the pessimist that I am, I always replace the sac on a pen when I buy one, even if I know that it has been restored. A pen may work at first, but if the sac is old enough it will likely fail sooner rather than later. This is an ideal pen on which to learn how to replace a sac.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 4th, 2020), fountainpenkid (December 4th, 2020), Ole Juul (December 4th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 4th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for that. Given that my burping pen is a first tier vintage pen that worked well until recently, I'm guessing that it needs a new sack.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks again for the replies. Yeah I was surprised that the pen worked when I got it. I cleaned both pens with water but I assume they need a really good deep cleaning. I am sure the sac is probably on the way out and will rebuild both pens over the winter if I can find the time. Writes very nicely and is a larger diameter pen which I like.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Thanks for that. Given that my burping pen is a first tier vintage pen that worked well until recently, I'm guessing that it needs a new sack.
    Maybe.

I've also had a problem with major brand pens in which the air channel is cut too deep, so too much air gets back into the sac or barrel. This was common with some of the Vac 3 band Standards. The oversize air channel causes the pen to flood or burp. Replace the feed, and the problem goes away.

The picture below shows two Waterman feeds, but the same thing applies to some of the Vacumatics. The one on the left is the problem feed, the one on the right took care of the problem. Note that a feed for a broad nib will have a deeper channel because of the heavier ink supply needed, but not as deep as the one on the left. The fact that the end of the feed is smaller in diameter is irrelevant. What matters is the depth of the channel between the top of the feed and the slits that carry the ink.

Last edited by Ron Z; December 4th, 2020 at 03:18 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
    7DAED71A-D97C-4269-868F-BF437736D2F9.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. It is a lever fill pen and yes I was excited to find that I could use it right at the get go. But the burping is very annoying.

Mike
    Hmm. Not like the champions I was thinking of. Does look more 50s, as you thought.

Bob