Thread: Seeking Advice about Replacement Nib

Thanks

Default Seeking Advice about Replacement Nib

Hello All,
    I have a pen with a Jowo 6 steel fine nib. I find the nib to be super stiff and not the most comfortable to write with. Looking to switch out the nib. My questions are
    1. Should I choose a Jowo 14 K or 18 K gold nib? Is there a difference in the writing experience?
    2. I dislike European nibs that write too wet and put down too thick of a line. My fav pen has a Nakaya M nib. Do you recommend that I go with a F or an EF Jowo gold nib?
    Forgot to mention- the pen only takes Jowo 6 nib unit.
    Any advice is welcome.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Seeking Advice about Replacement Nib

Have you tried Franklin-Christoph and their JoWo manufactured nibs, particularly those ground by Audrey? These are amazing nibs, and she can adjust them to the flow you want.

Also, I really like the new Nagahara ground needlepoint. It performs really well.

In my experience, with JoWo nibs, I like the 14K over the 18K. This is personal preference, but the 14K is superior in every way.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

cj2020 (December 5th, 2020), Detman101 (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Radonactionservices View Post
    Have you tried Franklin-Christoph and their JoWo manufactured nibs, particularly those ground by Audrey? These are amazing nibs, and she can adjust them to the flow you want.

Also, I really like the new Nagahara ground needlepoint. It performs really well.

In my experience, with JoWo nibs, I like the 14K over the 18K. This is personal preference, but the 14K is superior in every way.

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much! I did not know about the nibs that you mention. Is there a site that you could direct me to for the nibs ground by AUBREY? Also can you say more about in what way do you find the 14 K nibs superior?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Also based upon what I have mentioned do you recommend a F or an EF nib?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have ordered a 14 K Franklin Christoph EF nib. Will let you know how it works out!
    CJ

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Cool Re: Seeking Advice about Replacement Nib

Nice grab. They just restocked. By the time I can get one, they will be gone again.
    Ah well, such is life...

EDIT: WOOHOO!! I got my F-C 14k EF Flex nib!!! It arrives next week!
    Last edited by Detman101; December 13th, 2020 at 03:40 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

cj2020 (December 5th, 2020)

Thanks

I did not know that they were in such high demand or that they were this good. This is why I love this community, great support and knowledge sharing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Sorry, I’ve been busy working the last couple of days.

The website is www.Franklin-Christoph.com. By the way, fair warning, it is a “dangerous” website (well, at least you will be severely tempted to buy multiple, very functional and aesthetically pleasing pens you never knew you “needed”).

The person whom I have great respect for is Audrey Matteson. They also have Nagahara ground needlepoint nibs in high performance steel that are outstanding.

I recommend an EF, but I also tend to prefer narrower nib widths.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks

I am not sure how to explain the difference between the 14K and the 18K, but the 14K seemed to have just the right amount of “bounce”, whereas the 18K seemed to be a little too generic, and actually stiffer. I sold my 18K EF, as it didn’t perform as well as the 14K (and I needed the money). But the 14K is an exceptional EF, with flow set at 6 and the nib perfectly smoothed and adjusted.

One word on these nibs... Even though these are JoWo nibs, and are pretty standard, once adjusted they are really very good. Many of the major manufacturers use JoWo, although some customize them to their specific design parameters.

Thanks

I am not sure how to explain the difference between the 14K and the 18K, but the 14K seemed to have just the right amount of “bounce”, whereas the 18K seemed to be a little too generic, and actually stiffer. I sold my 18K EF, as it didn’t perform as well as the 14K (and I needed the money). But the 14K is an exceptional EF, with flow set at 6 and the nib perfectly smoothed and adjusted.

One word on these nibs... Even though these are JoWo nibs, and are pretty standard, once adjusted they are really very good. Many of the major manufacturers use JoWo, although some customize them to their specific design parameters.

Thank you Thank you Thank you for suggesting that I look at Franklin Christoph! They shipped the nib by Fed-Ex 2 day and it arrived today. This is truly one of the best nibs I have written with. The 14K EF writes like a dream with just the right amount of feedback, right size line, and just the right amount of wetness. There is a night and day difference in the writing experience between this nib and the Steel F nib that the pen originally came with. Here are a few pictures with the new nib.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 5th, 2020), Lloyd (December 5th, 2020), Pterodactylus (December 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Holy smokes!!
    They ship 2-day FedEX!!
    I may have to reconsider and try to buy one.
    I'm sure everyone would agree with me that we would LOVE to see a writing sample from you regarding this nib.
    It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

cj2020 (December 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cj2020 View Post

Thank you Thank you Thank you for suggesting that I look at Franklin Christoph! They shipped the nib by Fed-Ex 2 day and it arrived today. This is truly one of the best nibs I have written with. The 14K EF writes like a dream with just the right amount of feedback, right size line, and just the right amount of wetness. There is a night and day difference in the writing experience between this nib and the Steel F nib that the pen originally came with. Here are a few pictures with the new nib.
    This is an awesome looking pen, congrats 👍

What you missed to post is a writing sample with it 😜

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

You are of course correct. Here is a writing sample.
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cj2020 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 13th, 2020), Pterodactylus (December 5th, 2020), Yazeh (December 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Absolutely beautiful. This has been my experience as well. There is something special about Franklin -Christoph nibs. And it is nice that I can fit them into any pen accepting JoWo nib units. That means I can have a few favorite nibs and have them fit multiple pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Absolutely beautiful. This has been my experience as well. There is something special about Franklin -Christoph nibs. And it is nice that I can fit them into any pen accepting JoWo nib units. That means I can have a few favorite nibs and have them fit multiple pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very true!

Thanks

OMG that is soooo beautifully thin!!
    No spread whatsoever...just lovely.
    Thanks for the pics!!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Holy smokes!!
    They ship 2-day FedEX!!
    I'm sure everyone would agree with me that we would LOVE to see a writing sample from you regarding this nib.
    It's BEAUTIFUL!!!
    We have all seen your journey so far, so please forgive me for saying just one thing before you spend your money on a nib exactly like this: OP has placed it into a newish pen that has it's original feed and he wasn't looking for flex. Maybe you and he were never seeking exactly the same results?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Holy smokes!!
    They ship 2-day FedEX!!
    It's BEAUTIFUL!!!
    We have all seen your journey so far, so please forgive me for saying just one thing before you spend your money on a nib exactly like this: OP has placed it into a newish pen that has it's original feed and he wasn't looking for flex. Maybe you and he were never seeking exactly the same results?
    No problem Chrissy! There's a significant difference between the nibs of the op and I.
    The op bought a regular EF 14k nib while I bought a Flex EF 14k nib.
    Very different end results, but still high quality products.
    My nib will be heading to a nib-master for further flexifying and to be given a true needlepoint tip.
    Whereas the OP is happy with their nib in stock form.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Detman101; December 13th, 2020 at 06:08 AM.

Thanks

OMG that is soooo beautifully thin!!
    No spread whatsoever...just lovely.
    Thanks for the pics!!
    You are more than welcome! The nib is great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Holy smokes!!
    They ship 2-day FedEX!!
    It's BEAUTIFUL!!!
    No problem Chrissy! There's a significant difference between the nibs of the op and I.
    The op bought a regular EF 14k nib while I bought a Flex EF 14k nib.
    Very different end results, but still high quality products.
    My nib will be heading to a nib-master for further flexifying and to be given a true needlepoint tip.
    Whereas the OP is happy with their nib in stock form.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Yes, happy with the nib and the feed that came with it in their stock form. Thanks to the nib, the pen has now become my daily writer.