Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite journal/notebook(s)?

Thanks

Default Re: What's your favorite journal/notebook(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by XYZZY View Post
    I looked over the Stalogy website, but I could only find 5mm pages. Are there blank? Or lined at something larger than 5mm?

I like notebooks with a lot of pages (see above). But there's a limit. One of the reasons that I haven't tried Hippo Noto is that at 500 pages it's too thick. Partly it becomes a minor inconvenience to carry, but mostly because there's just a huge "ledge" that my hand falls off of when writing. At 400 pages I can just rest the iPhone on the table next to the notebook for support. I'd need to carry something else around with me.
    They are all graph paper. Some are 5mm grids, but the A5 one in particular is 4mm. Don't ask me the reason behind this. It is what it is. The Stalogy notebooks are actually fairly compact for so many pages because the papers are super thin.

But they are expensive, no doubt. I guess you pay for quality (and import).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

I looked over the Stalogy website, but I could only find 5mm pages. Are there blank? Or lined at something larger than 5mm?

I like notebooks with a lot of pages (see above). But there's a limit. One of the reasons that I haven't tried Hippo Noto is that at 500 pages it's too thick. Partly it becomes a minor inconvenience to carry, but mostly because there's just a huge "ledge" that my hand falls off of when writing. At 400 pages I can just rest the iPhone on the table next to the notebook for support. I'd need to carry something else around with me.
    On Amazon they have 8 mm ones. For half year, if you want it thicker. Depending what type of ink you use, note that you'll have bleed through...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post

On Amazon they have 8 mm ones. For half year, if you want it thicker. Depending what type of ink you use, note that you'll have bleed through...
    I have no idea what you are on about.

They are all grid size, and some are 5mm by 5mm, and some are 4mm by 4mm. The 8mm only refers to the thickness of the book.
    The half year sizes are thinner books. By half.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post

They are all grid size, and some are 5mm by 5mm, and some are 4mm by 4mm. The 8mm only refers to the thickness of the book.
    My apologies, I though XYZZY was asking about thickness

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

jace (December 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Yeah no problem. They are really good journals. I highly recommend them. I've already ordered a dozen more of the A5's.

Thanks

Yeah no problem. They are really good journals. I highly recommend them. I've already ordered a dozen more of the A5's.
    I know you use only Black and EF nibs. Do you use any "bullet proof" inks by any chance?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I like to read *about* different fancy journals, but I never actually bought one.

Most of my notes and sketches are either on watercolor papers or Rhodia, or these notebooks from Daiso.

This particular one is weird, the paper has the same thickness and ink-friendliness as the Tomoe River, but for the price, it hard to believe that it is. And I don't think the stock it anymore. I still have a few spares. Daiso's inventory boggles my mind. You can visit twice in a row within one week, and there will be items that are no longer there.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 10th, 2020), KKay (September 21st, 2023), Yazeh (December 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I know you use only Black and EF nibs. Do you use any "bullet proof" inks by any chance?
    Yeah I have two FP's inked with Noodler's Black.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jace For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I’ve been wanting to try Tommoe River paper since it became a thing in fountain pen forums. Finally found the Endless notebooks. Online reviews seem good.

Thanks

Some good comments here, if I didnt have so much paper already, including a ream of copy paper ,I'd look stone if these brands up. One brand Im pretty happy with if you want a "business" type design is black nd red, which you can get at Staples. fp friendly and stylish. Rhodia is always consistently good too.

Edit: mobile acted up
    Last edited by noahs_ark; December 15th, 2020 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Has anyone tried any of the journals available through Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=journa...oks&ref=auto-1
    Yep: goodinkpressions

They make good notebooks with tomoe river paper in a laaaarge variety. They recently launched their own website too. Nice proprietor, quick answers (she arranged loose A4 lined sheets for me), fair prices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Has anyone tried any of the journals available through Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=journa...oks&ref=auto-1
    Yep: goodinkpressions

They make good notebooks with tomoe river paper in a laaaarge variety. They recently launched their own website too. Nice proprietor, quick answers (she arranged loose A4 lined sheets for me), fair prices.
    That's good to hear since it is another small business being supported.

Thanks

My favorite is Mitsubishi Bank Paper notebooks from The Paper Mind. These have a naked stitched binding and are made in Tokyo with all components sourced from Japan, including the paper cloth cover and Takeo end papers.

Full disclosure: this is a brand that I created when I couldn't find Bank Paper in notebook form.

https://www.thepapermind.com

Thanks

Have used Leuchtturm1917 dot grid for years. Trying a Rhoda A5 dot grid today. The paper is significantly nicer.

Thanks

I love these Black n 'Red notebooks because they are standard sizes and my ink doesn't bleed. The paper is smooth, the ink flows beautifully, and they're inexpensive for hardcover notebooks. Besides, I also often like to make my notebooks have beautiful and unique journals according to my personality.
    Last edited by coreilly; October 11th, 2022 at 11:48 AM. Reason: add more info

Thanks

In Spain, Miquelrius brand makes very good notebooks.

I have a soft spot for the Muji A5 slim notebooks, that I fill in a semi-hard cover I bought years ago and haven't seen again. Not as good paper as Miquelriu but a very comfortable format to carry around.

Thanks

I keep coming back to the basic paper covered and cloth bound Clairefontaine A5 notebooks for general writing. The dot and grid craze is done for me. Just plain lined notebooks. This 192ish pager should last me for the year as a diary/journal. Great paper and it fits my desk quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 2nd, 2023), KKay (September 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I'm on my last TWSBI A5 notebook. They've been my favorite for about 6 years. They lie flat, decent paper, and only cost me $15 each when I bought them. Not the best paper, but I don't need the best.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

Never had a TWSBI notebook. But I do have one of those Clairefontaines… never used it. I'm sure the paper is womderful, but I can't handle notebooks with too many pages.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I saw Taroko notebooks on amazon. The label had coordinates on it, and 68gsm Tomoe paper, so I had to get them. They are pocket size with dot grid paper. I tried to remove the label from the plastic wrapper, but it is tearing. The covers have no information on them.

Ah heck, I’m going to cut the label off, and use washi tape to add it to one notebook cover. There are two in the package.
    Attached Images Attached Images