Thread: Looking forward for some suggestions regarding the tipping of nibs

Thanks

Default Looking forward for some suggestions regarding the tipping of nibs

Hello there,
    I have been searching for a method to replace the damaged tip of vintage fountain pens. After an adventure of a few months, I found the TIG micro welder, and spent a few hundred bucks on such a machine. Hmm...quite a fortune for some. The problem is that it does not work even by this method. I tried stainless steel and AlMg5, after having tried the soldering method previously, but they simply do not weld. For those interested, the machine is a 220V, 0-600AMP TIG Spot welder, or such is the claim of the vendor (https://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Stainl...72.m2749.l2649). I must mention that I have also bought an 8L Argon Bottle for it, but the results are still shameful. Is something wrong on my end? Please help me, since my journey would reach an end without advice from someone knowledgeable in this domain. Thank you in advance!

Thanks

Default Re: Looking forward for some suggestions regarding the tipping of nibs

Quote Originally Posted by haroldawerben View Post
    Hello there,
    I have been searching for a method to replace the damaged tip of vintage fountain pens. After an adventure of a few months, I found the TIG micro welder, and spent a few hundred bucks on such a machine. Hmm...quite a fortune for some. The problem is that it does not work even by this method. I tried stainless steel and AlMg5, after having tried the soldering method previously, but they simply do not weld. For those interested, the machine is a 220V, 0-600AMP TIG Spot welder, or such is the claim of the vendor (https://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Stainl...72.m2749.l2649). I must mention that I have also bought an 8L Argon Bottle for it, but the results are still shameful. Is something wrong on my end? Please help me, since my journey would reach an end without advice from someone knowledgeable in this domain. Thank you in advance!
    Whatever happens, godspeed. Tipping is the most make it or break it thing with pens for me tbh. Having the ability to retip nibs without spending 75 or so a pop in addition to waiting several weeks would be great, I'd be interested in the machinery required for such

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

As one mechanic friend said, "I've decided that is one repair that I don't want to learn how to do." High risk of damage, return on investment will take a fair bit of time, and there are other people who already do it well.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 3rd, 2020), eachan (December 3rd, 2020), jar (December 3rd, 2020), Ole Juul (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linkoiram View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldawerben View Post
    Hello there,
    Whatever happens, godspeed. Tipping is the most make it or break it thing with pens for me tbh. Having the ability to retip nibs without spending 75 or so a pop in addition to waiting several weeks would be great, I'd be interested in the machinery required for such
    I was brave to give it a try. But it simply does not weld. I think it has to do with the machine. I will keep you updated when I get sth better!

Thanks

Hey, Ron. I see you are indeed a nib meister, i have just visited your site. I do not intend to weld the nibs of customers, but mine. What machine do you recommend me? I mean, is it a tig pulse welder? Wrong path? Just asking