Thread: Birmingham Ink

Thanks

Default Birmingham Ink

Any consensus on their ink.................bleeding, wet-dry, etc?

The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Birmingham Ink

It's not made in Birmingham. (Pittsburgh?) It would have been nice to pair it with Yard-o-Led pens. Beyond that, I have no information.

Thanks

Fairly wet, consistent ink flow and color (and some unique colors too). Behaves well. I have not had feathering or bleed-through using fountain-pen friendly papers — don’t know how they respond to other types of paper.

You may want to do a web search on an ink name you are interested in then view images to get a better idea of the color — sometimes the swatches on their website are a bit brighter than the actual ink (and vice versa). Maybe because they’re made in small batches? HTH!
    Last edited by Turquoise; December 4th, 2020 at 02:07 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

I'm relatively new to inks so I'd never heard of them. Mountains of Ink has a nice writeup. I must say, they're great colors and I'm going to investigate further. Oh, and the author also says "Birmingham inks are made in Germany, and are exclusive to the Birmingham Pen Company in Pittsburgh".

Thanks

They have recently been reformulated. I have had and enjoyed lots of the made-in-Germany versions. They're different now so be careful when you read older reviews. Nick, who runs Birmingham, offers excellent customer service.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eciton For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eciton View Post
    They have recently been reformulated. I have had and enjoyed lots of the made-in-Germany versions. They're different now so be careful when you read older reviews. Nick, who runs Birmingham, offers excellent customer service.
    Ah, OK. That explains the discrepancies I found. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It's not made in Birmingham. (Pittsburgh?) It would have been nice to pair it with Yard-o-Led pens. Beyond that, I have no information.
    Their website offers an explanation that the name refers to something other than merely a particular industrial city in England.

To quote: Our first workshop was at Pittsburgh's Southside, right along the Monongahela River in the Terminal Warehouse. The giant brick and cement building was completed in 1906. The Southside was once called “Little Birmingham” due to the area’s prolific manufacturing industry in the early 1900's. The Birmingham moniker was derived from Birmingham, UK - a manufacturing hub that specialized in, among other things, pen and nib manufacturing with thousands of craftspeople employed in the industry. We chose the name Birmingham Pen Company to share this little known piece of history and continue in the traditions behind the name.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 12th, 2021), damfino (December 19th, 2020), wingwiper (December 4th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    Fairly wet, consistent ink flow and color (and some unique colors too). Behaves well. I have not had feathering or bleed-through using fountain-pen friendly papers — don’t know how they respond to other types of paper.

You may want to do a web search on an ink name you are interested in then view images to get a better idea of the color — sometimes the swatches on their website are a bit brighter than the actual ink (and vice versa). Maybe because they’re made in small batches? HTH!
    sounds so far to use only in more modern pens..............some FP's that might naturally write a tad dry until tweaked sound good
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Here is one of Birmingham Inks that azkid sent us as a Mystery Ink to try without knowing what ink it was:

Birmingham Inks Rodman Gun Gunpowder Tea. I really like this ink and it's a good performer.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens