Thread: Franklin Christoph Model 31 "Omnis" LE

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Franklin Christoph Model 31 "Omnis" LE

As mentioned in another thread - I think it was the "What are you waiting for in the mail" thread - I recently splurged on an FC fountain pen and 3-penvelope leather case. These items were offered as part of their recent online 'Pen show sale'. I don't do big detailed reviews, preferring to show some pictures and offer some general observations. With that in mind...

A very nice piece of leather with good, regular stitching. The material is quite stiff, though may soften with time and use I guess. On the interior there is a pull-out section with 3 'tubes' made from elastic cotton. Not quite sure what drives this kind of design choice, so will see how I get on with it.

The Pen, the Omnis or Model 31, sports a glossy classic black barrel that is offset by the olive swirls of the cap. On description I wouldn't have thought that would work, but seeing the pen in person leads me to completely revise that opinion. It is gorgeous to my eyes!

My hands are on the large size, so there was a little trepidation when I learned that the Omnis doesn't really lend itself to having the cap posted. It will post but makes for a very long pen (175mm including nib). Unposted the pen is 130mm including nib, and this is nicely in my comfort range (I don't know why I was worried).

Having read some reviews about the in-house Stub-Italic-Gradient (S.I.G.) nib, I plumped for one in fine width, and it's quite a revelation. Writes very smoothly and easily, more forgiving than a formal italic of course, and with sufficient sharpness to elevate my writing from the blandness I get using ball pointed nibs. This could quite possibly be my current favourite of the Jowo nibs (currently I have standard ef and f, medium CI, broad CI and medium stub by FPNibs.com, and this fine S.I.G.).

So now I have 5 'custom' pens, just looking for one more, but the sticking point is that it would have to be in a Brooks material (one can only hope), and hopefully as another FC pen (a Marietta model 20)

Group shot!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 5th, 2020), Detman101 (December 22nd, 2020), fountainpenkid (December 7th, 2020), Jon Szanto (March 28th, 2021), Lady Onogaro (December 4th, 2020), NibsForScript (March 27th, 2021), penwash (December 21st, 2020), Robert (December 5th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (December 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Franklin Christoph Model 31 "Omnis" LE

Franklin-Christoph pens are excellent. Audrey does a great job of tuning the nibs, and some of their designs are outstanding. The 20 posts very well, and the slip cap is easy to get used to. They’ve got a material called Diamondcast. I missed out on this pen in green Diamondcast, but have one in Maya Blue which I use frequently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Congrats! Your model 31 is a beauty. I love the range of color and pattern in that olive green.

I’m a big fan of Franklin-Christoph pens — I have several ;-) The craftsmanship is excellent, customer service is great, and the nibs are smooth — whether you get a custom grind or go for one of the standards.

Just curious — what are the other pens in your group shot?

Thanks

From left to right:

FC Model 31 "Omnis"

J&JWoodDesigns homage to Eboya Natsume in lookalike Tibaldi acrylic

Mythic Pens Prime in Jonathan Brooks Purple Arctic Blast - review here

Pen by somethingwritepens (no longer trading) - based on the Nakaya Piccolo but lengthened a bit. Material is one of the lava explosion alumilites (don't recall which one)

Pen by somethingwritepens (no longer trading) - based on the Sailor KoP shape, but again lengthened. Made from a couple of rods of Conway Stewart "Dartmoor" resin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Love that Mythic — the material is really beautiful. In case you haven’t seen this (and you probably already have since you’re enjoying exploring custom pens), here’s some links to summaries of small/custom pen makers: https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/small-pen-makers and https://ukfountainpens.com/2018/03/2...of-but-should/. Another fellow in Ireland, Leonard Slattery, makes some gorgeous all-wood pens https://www.leonardslattery.ie/ and I also just discovered this one in Belgium (and have a pen on order there!) https://wetandwise.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Those pens from Ireland are stunning

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

David, I must have missed this review of yours.

I must say I love that combination of Olive green swirls and black body.

If I saw that on F-C's table at a pen show, I may not be able to resist buying it.

So good job with this selection.

Also, your photos are great, and the review is done right (to me), not too long, not too short.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

11. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (December 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks, Will. I can imagine that this combination may have appealed to you.

Still in the hunt for one or two more custom pens, but they are rare animals for me. See what next year brings.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,253 Posts

I also managed to miss this first time. What a great choice - I love the shape as well as the colour. I definitely see a f-c in my future

Thanks

Alas, this one is on the way back to F-C. The threads for the cap and body are stubborn. Does anyone else have this issue with a Model 31?

Thanks

GREAT REVIEW..........ENJOYED VERY MUCH
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain