Thread: Montblanc celluloid 146 vs 146g

Thanks

Default Montblanc celluloid 146 vs 146g

What are the differences between the Montblanc celluloid 146 and the 146g? Apart from
    The engraving on the piston knob, I cannot see any differences.

Thanks

Default Re: Montblanc celluloid 146 vs 146g

Thank you, guyy!

I wonder what to make then of my “146” that has a brass telescopic piston, bi-color 14c gold nib that’s very wet and soft, a later feed with grooves, and is nice and weighty; however, the piston knob says “146” not “146g”. Perhaps the knob was a replacement?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

It could have been back to Montblanc and had parts replaced.

My 149 has a tri-color BB nib that presumably came from pre 1989 as the old clip pronounced it was made in W.Germany.
    However, every single part on that pen including the cap has been replaced. The only thing that's old/original is the unworn nib. I should think that's quite common. Nibs last much longer than other parts if you don't use a pen very much.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Imho it does not tell you anything if they are stamped with the „G“ or not beside that the ones with the „G“ were marked in a time when they sold them with gold and steel nibs.
    The „G“ stands for gold nib to make it clear that initially they were sold with a gold nib, not the steel nib variant.

Especially during WW2 and shortly after gold was a rare resource, in fact during the war it was also forbidden some time to use a war relevant metal like gold for nibs.

In fact all my celluloid 50s 14x pens are not tagged with „G“

I have 34x pens which are tagged with „G“ and ones which are not (but still have a gold nib).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Baisao (December 5th, 2020)

Thanks

@Chrissy, I bet that tri-color nib is a beauty. I think you must be right about it being replaced by Montblanc. The piston knob is also missing the engraving for the nib size I’ve seen on other 146g pens.

My nib and body look like this pen with the exception of the feed and engravings. The ink window is also the same.

https://www.vintagemontblancpens.com/no-146-g

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baisao View Post
    @Chrissy, I bet that tri-color nib is a beauty. I think you must be right about it being replaced by Montblanc. The piston knob is also missing the engraving for the nib size I’ve seen on other 146g pens.
    I've written with that 149 once before it went to Montblanc. It's a fabulous nib and writes so smoothly.
    Since it has been back I've never even filled it with ink because I was never sure about much writing I would do with a BB. I know as soon as I fill it then I will lose money if I decide to sell it. It's one of my indecision pens....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Imho it does not tell you anything if they are stamped with the „G“ or not beside that the ones with the „G“ were marked in a time when they sold them with gold and steel nibs.
    The „G“ stands for gold nib to make it clear that initially they were sold with a gold nib, not the steel nib variant.

Especially during WW2 and shortly after gold was a rare resource, in fact during the war it was also forbidden some time to use a war relevant metal like gold for nibs.

I have 34x pens which are tagged with „G“ and ones which are not (but still have a gold nib).
    Would it be accurate then to say that there are multiple variants of the celluloid 146 (some with the telescoping brass piston, some without)?

I realize there are other variations (feed, nib, etc.) but the telescoping piston seems to be the most obvious difference, as I understand from above.

Thanks

Thank you, guyy!

I wonder what to make then of my “146” that has a brass telescopic piston, bi-color 14c gold nib that’s very wet and soft, a later feed with grooves, and is nice and weighty; however, the piston knob says “146” not “146g”. Perhaps the knob was a replacement?
    Hello, If the piston knob has 146 , it's the vintage model for sure.
    The modern ones don't have it on the piston knob.

Regards to 'G' I vaguely remember these models were quoted to be ' Luxury ' version.

If you Google ' 234 1/2 luxury' it shows the 234 1/2 G models.

Still not very sure and hence leave it to the aficionados here.

PS: best way to know the difference between modern and vintage Montblanc is, experience them in person, hold the pen, it's just fab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

Would it be accurate then to say that there are multiple variants of the celluloid 146 (some with the telescoping brass piston, some without)?

I realize there are other variations (feed, nib, etc.) but the telescoping piston seems to be the most obvious difference, as I understand from above.
    Yes there are variants, but imho they all have the telescopic piston and they all have the 50s nib design (the desirable ones which make them special, compared to the next generation).
    The main visible difference for me is that the early ones have the ski slope feed and the later ones the more modern one with the 2 longitudinal grooves as guyy described.

As long as you have the exceptional 50s nib and the telescopic piston (and one of the 2 feed variants) you are fine.

The „G“ stamping is not consistent present along the production period (but they all have the number stamped in the knob, in opposite to later models).
    And the presence or absence of the „G“ is imho not at all a sign that it was replaced (as long it has stamp marks).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Baisao (December 5th, 2020)

Thanks

I missed the word “celluloid” when i wrote my first reply. Ptero is right, G was there sometimes, sometimes not . The feed is different between early & late celluloid pens: the earliest ones have the ski slope feed. The section is curved on the earliest 146s, but not on the late 1950s pens. I believe the earliest nibs were actually 136 nibs and have the etched background.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Baisao (December 5th, 2020), Pterodactylus (December 5th, 2020)