Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sudden skyrocketing prices on ebay auctions

Thanks

Default Re: Sudden skyrocketing prices on ebay auctions

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Speak to the Grandmother.

Oh man, Sister Rosetta Thorpe. I haven’t heard her in years. Thanks for the reminder. I ended up going back and listening to This Little Light and This Train, both “electric blues” classics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 13th, 2020), Farmboy (December 12th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    I wish pen shows were real.
    I'd have found a pen that fits me by now.
    Some things...the internet just can't replace.
    People are needed.
    No two ways about it.
    It's not guaranteed of course, given that the pandemic is still with us now.

But if it's any consolation, pen show organizers are gearing up for 2021.

I can speak for one pen show in September, but I bet the other organizers are anxious to resume their shows as well.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    I wish pen shows were real.
    I'd have found a pen that fits me by now.
    Some things...the internet just can't replace.
    People are needed.
    No two ways about it.
    It's not guaranteed of course, given that the pandemic is still with us now.

But if it's any consolation, pen show organizers are gearing up for 2021.

I can speak for one pen show in September, but I bet the other organizers are anxious to resume their shows as well.
    I really really hope and pray that you are correct.
    Attending a pen show would fill a small void within me that can't be fixed any other way.
    Looking forward to 2021...
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

I have over 1000 pen buys on E-Bay and never had a problem. All markets have periodic ups and downs, and a given auction can be subject to dozens of additional viariables like knowledge of pens, of auctions, of reputable sellers, etc. Besides, if one doesn't like E-Bay, there are many other fora for buying and selling. This website is a good alternative as are several of the other well-known pen chat sites.
    Gerry Berg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jouesdeveau For This Useful Post:

eachan (December 25th, 2020), Jon Szanto (December 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFarnon View Post
    Before putting in a final bid on an ebay auction, I decide what I'm willing to pay for a given pen and do a bit of research on current retail prices for that pen. But suddenly prices on a couple of pens I'd bid on shot up over double the expected retail prices for those pens. These were both vintage/antique pens, but still. Is this an annual phenomenon as everyone searches for the perfect Christmas gift, is it merely confirmation bias on my part, or is this something new and unusual in the pen market? Is this perhaps a predictable response to the loss of pen shows?

I was bidding on a Conklin Crescent fill BCHR, extremely oxidized but in otherwise excellent condition; and a Morrison's "The Patriot" set in apparently never-used condition. Oh-and a Parker Senior Duofold in red permanite, excellent condition but otherwise unremarkable. I'm okay with not being the highest bidder. Someone else clearly wanted those pens more than I do, and it's more money for the seller. I'm just curious about the cause for the price jumps.
    If it’s the final (winning) bid price you’re talking about, MANY people wait until the last couple of minutes before placing a bid. And many people have software that simply outbids anyone else at that last minute. So, no, it’s not uncommon, for vintage pens or anything else. You can’t complete with people who have bottomless pockets and want the same thing you do. The best thing you can do is exactly what you are doing — research, decide what’s a reasonable cost for YOU to pay, and cap your bid amount. Sometimes the force will be with you, other times not so much ;-) If you have time to spare and want to bite your nails at the end of the auction you could wait to bid like others do until the very last minute and try your luck that way.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (January 27th, 2021), welch (December 28th, 2020)

Thanks

I've checked. EBay prices are not dramatically higher than they were a year ago.

Any of us have seen a strange "auction" in which two bidders try to top each other, $5 or $10 at a time, all the way until bid close...as if EBay were a human auction. We have also seen mistakes in which a pair of bidders lift a humble Parker 45 up to $100 or more. It happens.

I use snipe software. I know the maxi I feel like paying. I put that max into snipe and forget about the "auction". Sniping bids go in five or ten seconds before close. If I lose, so be it. If I win, I pay no more than what I had decided the pen was worth...to me.

EBay is not like an auction.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 2nd, 2021), jouesdeveau (January 1st, 2021), Ole Juul (January 1st, 2021), TFarnon (January 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Well, just watched an auction for a SHEAFFER, FOUNTAIN PEN, CANADIAN VERSION. What was interesting to me was that from around $40 the price was pushed up by one bidder whose history showed that they had bid on 65 items from this seller in the past 30 days, mostly single bids place about 1 day and 10 hours prior to the completion of the auctions. Maybe nothing in it but it's a curious pattern, and the seller is one that I have run afoul of (dropped a pen its nib, ground the tip down hoping I wouldn't notice).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (January 25th, 2021), TSherbs (January 25th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Many of us add to our collections by getting a pen (or two) at a time. Some people, especially those looking at it more as a collection than as pens, and who have the financial resources, can go about buying themselves a collection in very large chunks. I have seen particular sellers active for a short number of weeks or months, buying up many pens in single-pen auctions, and doing so by bidding a price that no one else will match. At the end of the day, a wealthy person can do as they please in these kind of arenas.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks

It's the hunt that captures my interest. Ebay is fun for me. They have items I could not find anywhere else. I'm too frugal to spend much.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Many of us add to our collections by getting a pen (or two) at a time. Some people, especially those looking at it more as a collection than as pens, and who have the financial resources, can go about buying themselves a collection in very large chunks. I have seen particular sellers active for a short number of weeks or months, buying up many pens in single-pen auctions, and doing so by bidding a price that no one else will match. At the end of the day, a wealthy person can do as they please in these kinds of arenas.
    True, in this case though, the buyer limited themselves to about $60, stopped bidding, and was simply outbid by several others. This could be interpreted as someone who knows their own limits I suppose, but it seemed odd to me that they were targetting the same seller so often over a very short period of time. I am sometimes a very suspicious guy, in all parses of that label!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    True, in this case though, the buyer limited themselves to about $60, stopped bidding, and was simply outbid by several others. This could be interpreted as someone who knows their own limits I suppose, but it seemed odd to me that they were targetting the same seller so often over a very short period of time. I am sometimes a very suspicious guy, in all parses of that label!
    I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your post. I thought you meant the person repeatedly won auctions from the seller. I have no idea whatsoever what this particular behavior indicates, and nothing I plan on pursuing. People are just, you know, fucking weird sometimes!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

FTFY

People are just, you know, fucking weird.

I had one person who sent me a message from an item I was selling on eBay 'I am bidding on an item you are selling but your mailing charges are too high. If I win I will leave you one star and give negative feedback', Guess what I did on receipt of that message?

Nutter.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (January 26th, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks

One thing that may be affecting our perceptions is that ebay appears to be moving from an auction to a 'buy it now' model and many of the BIN items are at very high prices. But when you look at actual completed sales, the prices are a good deal lower.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 26th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks

One practice I immediately avoid are the one's with a low bid and $25 shipping. Also, you can win the bid and the seller will ship by covered wagon without tracking. As long as it eventually shows, I leave a positive comment althought I let them know privately that if things don't show up soon I want a refund.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Shipping cost is absolutely the first thing I look at. If it's either ridiculous or Global Priority I just press the back button with no regrets.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (January 26th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 26th, 2021), TSherbs (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Shipping cost is absolutely the first thing I look at. If it's either ridiculous or Global Priority I just press the back button with no regrets.
    I had a pen transaction just after eBay's global shipping had gone into effect, a "choice" eBay had then imposed by default. My buyer was charged well over US$100 for shipping to The Netherlands without me even seeing it as seller. The buyer contacted me accusing me of ripping him off, and I had to ask him to email me his eBay invoice to understand what was going on. Once I saw it and done a bit of research, I had to undo the transaction, refund the monies, invite the buyer to quickly buy again, and I took care of shipping outside of eBay/PayPal for about US$13. I made sure Global never came into a transaction again, and eBay sure tried for a while.

It was just another straw being placed on the eBay camel's back.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 27th, 2021), Detman101 (January 26th, 2021), Ole Juul (January 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I had a pen transaction just after eBay's global shipping had gone into effect, a "choice" eBay had then imposed by default. My buyer was charged well over US$100 for shipping to The Netherlands without me even seeing it as seller. The buyer contacted me accusing me of ripping him off, and I had to ask him to email me his eBay invoice to understand what was going on. Once I saw it and done a bit of research, I had to undo the transaction, refund the monies, invite the buyer to quickly buy again, and I took care of shipping outside of eBay/PayPal for about US$13. I made sure Global never came into a transaction again, and eBay sure tried for a while.

It was just another straw being placed on the eBay camel's back.
    I am too stoopid to use Global. I tried it once, I had two sales on ebay and put the wrong Global references on the parcels, undoing that mess turned my hair grey.