Thread: My JinHao 51A came today

Thanks

Default My JinHao 51A came today

I ordered this because I wanted to see what a 51 type pen would feel like. And I thought the acrylic body was pretty. It was six dollars plus shipping on E-bay. I was surprised, it took just two weeks to arrive. It was shipped by SpeedPak which apparently helps. I have other pens that have been on order for over two months and are still not here.

I cleaned it with soapy water and put some Quink blue black in it. It wrote very dry. After a little work it now writes OK, not butter smooth but alright. it was supposed to have a .5mm nib, but it seems finer than that to me. The nib has an F on it.

It is very comfortable to hold. I can see why this style of pen is popular. Like I said, it's not a bad writer. But, I may play around with it and see if I can make it more to my taste. My understanding is that it has a standard #5 nib. If so, I could always replace it.
    Last edited by Parsimonious; December 10th, 2020 at 10:00 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parsimonious For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (December 11th, 2020), Detman101 (December 15th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 11th, 2020), Warren (December 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

Default Re: My JinHao 51A came today

Thanks for the mini review! I have one on the way, hooded, with an 'art' nib, and I'm eager to get it.

Quink Black can be notoriously dry in certain pens, so you might try this pen with some Waterman ink.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (December 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for this! I'm about to order a $15 Jinhao .45-.55 nib. It's got a chainmail design on it. Looks "grippy" and I can't wait to try it in comparison to what I have now! I've seen some reviews say that they usually switch out their Jinhao nibs to something else. I have an extra nib from my sheaffer vintage.. I'm still new to the FP world but I'll see what I can come up with! Ordering Pelikan ink today too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrayonAngelss For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrayonAngelss View Post
    Thanks for this! I'm about to order a $15 Jinhao .45-.55 nib. It's got a chainmail design on it. Looks "grippy" and I can't wait to try it in comparison to what I have now! I've seen some reviews say that they usually switch out their Jinhao nibs to something else. I have an extra nib from my sheaffer vintage.. I'm still new to the FP world but I'll see what I can come up with! Ordering Pelikan ink today too.
    Pel is a dry ink, too....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    ohh ok. I got it based on some suggestions for a purple ink. I'll see how it fares! More specifically I got Pelikan 4001 Violet. If it's too dry with an F nib, maybe the M will work better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

ohh ok. I got it based on some suggestions for a purple ink. I'll see how it fares! More specifically I got Pelikan 4001 Violet. If it's too dry with an F nib, maybe the M will work better.
    That's a pretty color....I think I have a couple of carts. R&K Solferino is similar in color I THINK, but I never tried it so not sure of its properties.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just an update: It seems to have a feed problem. It writes well for about a paragraph and then starts drying out, even with plenty of ink in the converter. I'm going to have to open it up and check the feed channel.

Edit: When I pulled the convertor, it looked like this. That might explain why it ran dry.

Maybe I didn't get all the oil out of it. I will clean the pen better and try again.

Edit: I cleaned it again with soapy water and ammonia and rinsed with distilled water. It seems to be working fine now. Time will tell. It's actually pretty smooth.
    Last edited by Parsimonious; December 11th, 2020 at 02:09 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parsimonious For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (December 11th, 2020), Warren (December 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsimonious View Post
    I ordered this because I wanted to see what a 51 type pen would feel like. And I thought the acrylic body was pretty. It was six dollars plus shipping on E-bay. I was surprised, it took just two weeks to arrive. It was shipped by SpeedPak which apparently helps. I have other pens that have been on order for over two months and are still not here.

I cleaned it with soapy water and put some Quink blue black in it. It wrote very dry. After a little work it now writes OK, not butter smooth but alright. it was supposed to have a .5mm nib, but it seems finer than that to me. The nib has an F on it.

It is very comfortable to hold. I can see why this style of pen is popular. Like I said, it's not a bad writer. But, I may play around with it and see if I can make it more to my taste. My understanding is that it has a standard #5 nib. If so, I could always replace it.
    Congratulations. I agree, it is a very "pretty" pen.

Thanks

Oh wow! I didn't know they made that in such a beautiful acrylic!!
    I may have to get one to knock around the house.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."