Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for suggestions for a ‘professional’ looking fountain pen for work

Thanks

Default Looking for suggestions for a ‘professional’ looking fountain pen for work

I’ve been using fountain pens for over four years. I’m starting a new position and would like to get a nice, professional-looking fountain pen, preferably black (shiny or matte) screw cap (preferred, but snap is ok), and replaceable nibs, with a price point between $50 - $100. It will be used on the production floor (heavy industrial), departmental, and corporate meetings.

My LAMY’s, or Pilot Metropolitan are great writing instruments, but not classy enough for my new position at work.

So I’m asking this community your recommendations.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 40calFlintlock For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (December 12th, 2020), Turquoise (December 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Looking for suggestions for a ‘professional’ looking fountain pen for work

Hi Flintlock,

Pelikan M200 (gold trim), M205 (silver trim) are excellent classy pistons fillers (also available in black) which meet all your requirements (about 80€ )

I don’t own one in black but this is one of mine (Blue):

Quote 021 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

Quote 022 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

Quote 023 by Ptero Pterodactylus, auf Flickr

(Pelikan M205 Blue-Marbled - B EMF ..... Mystery ink #16 provided by Scooby 921)

BTW, you posted in the Sheaffer subforum........but I had not the impression that you looked in particular for a Sheaffer recommendation.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; December 12th, 2020 at 09:03 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (December 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Re: Looking for suggestions for a ‘professional’ looking fountain pen for work

You cannot go wrong with a Pelikan....

Here is a list on Goulet's
    Black, between 50-100$. You can adjust your search for whatever you want.... Alternatively you can buy a black Lamy Safari

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

and here's another list from Pen Chalet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

A Pelikan M205 meets all your criteria:
    nice, professional-looking fountain pen - check
    preferably black - check
    screw cap - check
    replaceable nibs - check
    between $50 - $100 - check

Black205.png

Thanks

I couldn't find a Pelikan for that price....
    However, Lamy Studio might do the job... And if you want to go over budget, Lamy Studio All Black at 108$
    Last edited by Yazeh; December 12th, 2020 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Take a look at Endless Pens that sells the M205 on pre-order for $90.90: https://endlesspens.com/collections/...21023453151332
    Cult Pens has the M200 (gold trims) for 72.92 pounds that comes out to $96.44 at todays rate: https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PK17379...tain-pen-black

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Take a look at Endless Pens that sells the M205 on pre-order for $90.90: https://endlesspens.com/collections/...21023453151332
    Cult Pens has the M200 (gold trims) for 72.92 pounds that comes out to $96.44 at todays rate: https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/PK17379...tain-pen-black
    The black ones are always cheaper than others (they seem always to be the least favorited color variation.....and I kind of agree, personally I would not take a black one.... the only Color I dislike more is the Taupe one (even being a special edition))

On German Amazon:

Black M200 (81,5 €):
    https://www.amazon.de/Pelikan-983064...7793336&sr=8-2

Or even cheaper the brown marbled one (72,4 €)
    https://www.amazon.de/Pelikan-808811...7793587&sr=8-3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 40calFlintlock View Post
    I’ve been using fountain pens for over four years. I’m starting a new position and would like to get a nice, professional-looking fountain pen, preferably black (shiny or matte) screw cap (preferred, but snap is ok), and replaceable nibs, with a price point between $50 - $100. It will be used on the production floor (heavy industrial), departmental, and corporate meetings.

My LAMY’s, or Pilot Metropolitan are great writing instruments, but not classy enough for my new position at work.

So I’m asking this community your recommendations.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Lamy Al Star, IMHO, is the quintessential professional pen in the true Bauhaus tradition given that it is functional for daily use, durable, and easily maintained.

The Parker 51 and some Sheaffer models were and can still be a tool for daily, professional use.

The Wing Sung 601 is very well made, attractive, and durable, especially the new "flighter" model.

I personally do not consider the MB 149 a professional tool. I had on in the early '90's. I now consider them pocket jewelry and while quite beautiful, not something I would consider professional.

Thanks

I think the Lamy 2000 is a better deal than a Pelikan m200, though it usually sells for a bit more. On occasion you can get the Lamy 2000 for close to $100, for example during Endless Pens’ recent sale.

I have never enjoyed using a m200. The nibs are dull blob-tipped affairs, like those on any other modern Pelikan. I never noticed any particular “springiness “ to the nib. To me the m200 seemed expensive for a pen that was so meh.

I do use and enjoy the L2K, whose nibs still give some line variation in the broader widths. I also like the looks: not too flashy, just functional.

Thanks

If you’re looking for something inexpensive but with a quality build, you might want to consider the Monteverde Ritma in black and gunmetal. It’s retail cost is $45 and, with holiday sales, might be available for less. The barrel is black and the cap/trim is a dark gunmetal gray; the nib is black. The cap is magnetic snap; I imagine it would be very satisfying to click and unclick in boring meetings, LOL. The pen also has a solid weight to it (metal rather than plastic). I’ve tried a 1.1 stub and it’s a really quite a nice writer.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    I think the Lamy 2000 is a better deal than a Pelikan m200, though it usually sells for a bit more. On occasion you can get the Lamy 2000 for close to $100, for example during Endless Pens’ recent sale.

I have never enjoyed using a m200. The nibs are dull blob-tipped affairs, like those on any other modern Pelikan. I never noticed any particular “springiness “ to the nib. To me the m200 seemed expensive for a pen that was so meh.

I do use and enjoy the L2K, whose nibs still give some line variation in the broader widths. I also like the looks: not too flashy, just functional.
    Never had a problem with a M20x (even prefer the M20x springy steel nib e.g. over the M600 gold nail nib) but preferences are different, the Lamy 2000 has a classical design and is for sure also a good pen.

But at least in Germany, Austria it starts at about 145 € (never saw it for less than 130€)

So if you can get a new one for 100$ which equals today 82,5€ today than this is more than a bargain.
    For 82€ I would consider buying one myself (even I‘m not a fan of it‘s classical Bauhaus design).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I would suggest the L2K as well. It's a shame, because just 2 weeks ago Endless had their annual $99 sale on those. No matter, a good search will find one near that and it is worth the price. Only caveat is you won't be swapping nibs, though this pen's duty doesn't seem to warrant it. The pen will be a bit more substantial than the M200. The other big point of the Lamy is that they are very sturdy pens. Happy shopping.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Mont Blanc and Pelikan are prestigious and professional looking. Diplomat would be a good choice if you want something less expensive and won't hurt if it is 'lost'.

Thanks

Other good piston filler options in the price range would be TWSBI pens, obviously less prestigious but really good pens.

The only completely black pen they have is the classic, but I would prefer a 580, Mini , VAC700 or VAC Mini.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    A Pelikan M205 meets all your criteria:
    nice, professional-looking fountain pen - check
    preferably black - check
    screw cap - check
    replaceable nibs - check
    between $50 - $100 - check

Black205.png
    Yes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pelikan.

I already have a black with gold trim M200 that Ptero suggested. It's my favorite! I'm now on the endlesspens website getting that lovely blue marbled Ptero also showed.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CrayonAngelss For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (December 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Pelikan M2xx certainly ticks most of the boxes. I'd be slightly concerned about "used on the production floor (heavy industrial)" and whether it was robust enough. Hard to say and one for the OP to judge. Also size and weight, or rather lack thereof, might also tell against it, as some people just can't get along with them for that reason.

Also, fwiw, I notice that Lamy Safaris turn up in the hands of professionals more than you might imagine, at least here in the UK. I've seen both doctors and politicians wielding them. In an industrial setting it would, to me, give a definite vibe of getting the job done, rather than showing off how much you spent. But workplaces is wyrd.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Pelikan M2xx certainly ticks most of the boxes. I'd be slightly concerned about "used on the production floor (heavy industrial)" and whether it was robust enough. Hard to say and one for the OP to judge. Also size and weight, or rather lack thereof, might also tell against it, as some people just can't get along with them for that reason.
    Good input weevil.

For heavy duty use cases a Schrade tactical might be the better option, and you would be prepared even for the zombie apocalypse (if you get additional to the pen also a decent amount of toilet paper).

Unfortunately these pens are discontinued,.... but who knows in these times it might get a revival.

Thanks

If it's unbreakable the OP's looking for then there's always Pineider Avatar with ultra resin...supposedly you can drive on it and it won't break...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (December 13th, 2020)