Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for suggestions for a ‘professional’ looking fountain pen for work

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Looking for suggestions for a ‘professional’ looking fountain pen for work

It's a tough choice between a Lamy 2000 and a Pelikan M2xx series. I'm not even sure I would like to choose between them. If you definitely can't have both then I would go for the Pelikan.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for suggestions for a ‘professional’ looking fountain pen for work

Parker 51 (aerometric). Slip cap, hooded nib that won't dry out, tough as nails, looks professional. Within budget.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It's a tough choice between a Lamy 2000 and a Pelikan M2xx series. I'm not even sure I would like to choose between them. If you definitely can't have both then I would go for the Pelikan.
    It would be more Lamy Studio, Chrissy. Lamy 2000 is not in the price bracket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Parker 51 (aerometric). Slip cap, hooded nib that won't dry out, tough as nails, looks professional. Within budget.
    The OP wanted to be able to swap nib... Plus I'd be curious where you can find one below $100?

Thanks

Well, it is easy enough to source replacement nibs for the 51 (in either gold or octanium). Black aerometrics (with lustraloy caps) regularly show up on reddit for 80-90 USD.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

40calFlintlock (December 21st, 2020)

Thanks

To everyone who responded:

My heartfelt thanks for your help. I work in a forging plant. Graphite permeates everything. In my first week, I’ve ruined two gel pens by handling them with dirty, grimy hands or gloves.

I’ve reconsidered taking any fountain pen out on the production floor. I’m going to use pencils instead.

However, I was given some excellent information to consider for a new fountain pen for my growing collection.

Thank you again everyone for your help.

P.S. The Ritman is on my Christmas wish list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 40calFlintlock For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (December 22nd, 2020), Pterodactylus (December 22nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 40calFlintlock View Post

I’ve reconsidered taking any fountain pen out on the production floor. I’m going to use pencils instead.

Given your workplace circumstances a pencil is a good choice. But are you going to settle for a plain wood pencil or will you begin your search for a nice mechanical pencil?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

May I place also a recommendation for a pencil.

Take a look at the Staedtler Mars Technico Leadholder which uses 2mm leads.

https://www.staedtler.us/en/products...ars%20technico

This is a sturdy robust pen which can also withstand rough conditions.
    Using 2mm leads instead of the fine ones make it much more robust (mechanical and tip)
    I own several of them for drawing/writing purposes (mainly drawing, many artists use those).
    They are nice balanced with a metal front.
    A sharpener is included in the back of the pen.
    I like them a lot.

They are also available in black, not expensive so if you loose or crush one not much is lost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    May I place also a recommendation for a pencil.

Take a look at the Staedtler Mars Technico Leadholder which uses 2mm leads.

https://www.staedtler.us/en/products...ars%20technico

This is a sturdy robust pen which can also withstand rough conditions.
    Using 2mm leads instead of the fine ones make it much more robust (mechanical and tip)
    I own several of them for drawing/writing purposes (mainly drawing, many artists use those).
    They are nice balanced with a metal front.
    A sharpener is included in the back of the pen.
    I like them a lot.

They are also available in black, not expensive so if you loose or crush one not much is lost.
    That's a good choice.

Thanks

If you were looking for a Sheaffer, a Touchdown Imperial, a Prelude, or a Legacy, depending on how much you want to spend.

Pelikan is OK. I have had some unusual issues with M400, section came off, US rep wouldn't fix it, and had to ask for help and fix it myself. I have used and owned M200, M600, M800 and M1000. They are OK, easier to fill than most C/C pens, but eventually I realized I wasn't so keen about the style. I have a couple of M400s and a few M200s left. White tortoise, blue stripe etc.

I like the Sheaffer Imperials better, particularly Touchdown fillers, and Parker 51s above all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

My Pilot Decimo in royal blue finish is the professional pen for me. The clicking, however, might be a bit gauche for a formal business meeting. One has to control one's fidgeting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 40calFlintlock View Post
    I’ve been using fountain pens for over four years. I’m starting a new position and would like to get a nice, professional-looking fountain pen, preferably black (shiny or matte) screw cap (preferred, but snap is ok), and replaceable nibs, with a price point between $50 - $100. It will be used on the production floor (heavy industrial), departmental, and corporate meetings.

My LAMY’s, or Pilot Metropolitan are great writing instruments, but not classy enough for my new position at work.

So I’m asking this community your recommendations.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like so many threads, this one has degenerated into a cavalcade of personal favorites independent of your original question and purpose. A fountain pen "classy enough" for meeting with people in production, departmental, & corporate?

Get one you like & are comfortable writing with, and stop worrying about how others will perceive you. The first thing anyone will notice is a poseur who is obsessed with image. Production won't care (or will be thoroughly entertained at your bringing something so impractical to the floor), departmental will think it's ostentatious power-tripping, and chances are the corporate folk will only seem to care if they're sycophants. If they're genuinely interested, they'll ask later after the business is done.
    I've met with corporate leaders in my role as an OCM consultant, with parents at the school where I teach, with the president of the university where I work as a Content Expert, and with the governor of my state/ his Cabinet. No matter what fountain pen I have with me (anything from a Noodler's Ahab or Neponset to my Waterman Ideal 55), the response (if any) is the same as what I got at my optometrist's office today: some variation of, "Ooh! you have a *fancy* pen!"
    One of the worst things you can ever do is care about how much your writing instruments are impressing other people. Have you ever been to a nice, high-society garden party?
    I think your decision to go with a pencil is sound. Get a decent, plain wooden one that you can sharpen with your teeth, keys, or a penknife. Practicality is a virtue.
    Last edited by Dreck; December 22nd, 2020 at 08:24 PM. Reason: update
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

THE OP has decided to not to go with a FP