Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quitting fountain pens and going back to cheap ballpoint pens!

Thanks

Default Re: Quitting fountain pens and going back to cheap ballpoint pens!

A response by Pterodactylus got me thinking. There is a difference between collectors and accumulators. Collectors actively seek additions to their collections, while accumulations just seem to happen. I have an accumulation of old cameras. I didn't set out to collect them, but I couldn't see throwing them away when they were replaced. So, they sit in a box on a shelf in a closet.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parsimonious For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 15th, 2020), Pterodactylus (December 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Well, it's been forever since I posted here, though I lurk every once in a while. ;-)

I, too, have spent thousands of dollars on pens. And I, too, have pretty much stopped buying them. The main reason is that I took a steep pay cut a couple of years ago, and I could no longer justify spending money on pens. (Well... I did buy one pen last summer, my first in two years, but it wouldn't write, and I couldn't fix it, and sending it to a nibmeister didn't make sense for a variety of reasons, and so now that pen is in some landfill somewhere. Oh, well.)

But I haven't stopped using them! Oh, I acknowledge it was kind of insane to sink so much cash into writing instruments, but insane or not, that's what I did, and now I have a lovely collection of pens to enjoy. No, the collection won't grow, or at least not very much, but it doesn't matter: I have enough pens to last me a couple of lifetimes. Whenever I get bored of one of my pens, I just look into my collection and ink up something I hadn't written with in a while.

So, dear OP, maybe you should indeed just go back to ballpoints. But then, after a few months, maybe you can go back to your FP collection and see how you feel about it. Don't buy anything! Just use what you've got. You may like it better than the first time around. If not... Well, sell or give away, whichever you prefer.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (December 14th, 2020), penwash (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Am I the only one who imagines this guys voice as Schmitt from New Girl?
    Gotta say, I empathize. I often catch myself thinking how childish it is to nearly obsess enough about a fricking writing instrument that I’m an active member of a pen forum... a fricking pen forum......

What really annoys me the most is I can’t even take my pens out of my home (unless I bring a backpack or a notepad) because no one else on this planet uses them. So that means that no one else on this planet uses fountain pen friendly paper... you can’t even sign most receipts with a fountain pen. You can’t write on printer paper, normal legal paper, napkins, sticky notes... nothing normal! Lol what the fuck are we doing here guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spencerwilli For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 16th, 2020), FredRydr (December 15th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Am I the only one who imagines this guys voice as Schmitt from New Girl?
    Gotta say, I empathize. I often catch myself thinking how childish it is to nearly obsess enough about a fricking writing instrument that I’m an active member of a pen forum... a fricking pen forum......

What really annoys me the most is I can’t even take my pens out of my home (unless I bring a backpack or a notepad) because no one else on this planet uses them. So that means that no one else on this planet uses fountain pen friendly paper... you can’t even sign most receipts with a fountain pen. You can’t write on printer paper, normal legal paper, napkins, sticky notes... nothing normal! Lol what the fuck are we doing here guys?

You are just using the wrong ink, IG ink is the key.

Get a bottle ESSRI and you can write decently on any paper down to toilet paper, as a bonus your writing is also waterproof and permanent.

Easy, isn’t it?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Schaumburg_Swan (December 15th, 2020), silverlifter (December 15th, 2020), Yazeh (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

I agree with the comment above. Your problem has to be rubbish ink. I use Diamine and it works well on everything from copier paper and supermarket receipts to brown wrapping paper. Admittedly, it bleeds and spreads a bit on toilet paper and paper napkins, but otherwise paper type is not an issue.

I have to admit that I have begun to consider the obsession with 'fountain pen friendly' paper many here have expressed to be rather neurotic!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (December 15th, 2020), Pterodactylus (December 15th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (December 15th, 2020), Yazeh (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    ...snip...
    I second the use of iron gall to get around many of the "not fp-friendly paper" issues. I use ESSRI to jot notes in the pulpy, mass-market paperbacks we read in class, in my Teacher's Edition textbooks, on my students' homework (whether lined loose-leaf or copier paper), and even on receipt paper. Although I keep a ballpoint with me, I could count on one hand he number of times I've used it in the past seven years. I keep a small piece of blotter paper in my wallet. I'm already getting out a credit card, so it's only the work of a moment to get the blotter out and ensure any extra ink does not make its way to the cashier's fingers.
    If it's impractical, you're doing it wrong.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 18th, 2020), Detman101 (December 16th, 2020)

Thanks

OP - you're not the first as you'll have seen from previous replies here. I met someone who had done the same as you a few years back. He had been collecting for 10 to 15 years, cut back as he needed to control his costs and over time, after having stopped buying them, he noticed he just was not using them any more - there was nothing concious there. For him it was as much the collecting and enjoying as he was involved with his hobby. Once he effectively stopped collecting over time he just started using what was at hand and then noticed this (or it was pointed out to him). In the end he started to sell off his pens, with no regrets (he had kept a few key ones I should add).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dapprman For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 19th, 2020)

Thanks

I have some decent vintage and more modern ballpoints, and I am using them more as I quit using fountain pens that get ink on my hands. Some good pens, Parker 51, Montblanc 144, some Cross and Sheaffers are good, but I am using them less. I have quit taking the fountain pens out of the house, as stuff happens to them and the ballpoints are less costly and not missed so much if something happens, which is often that pen gets misplaced and lost. I think settle back and just keep the pens as a collectiom.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I have some decent vintage and more modern ballpoints, and I am using them more as I quit using fountain pens that get ink on my hands. Some good pens, Parker 51, Montblanc 144, some Cross and Sheaffers are good, but I am using them less. I have quit taking the fountain pens out of the house, as stuff happens to them and the ballpoints are less costly and not missed so much if something happens, which is often that pen gets misplaced and lost. I think settle back and just keep the pens as a collectiom.
    Life is far too short to use fountain pens, or even any pens, that leave you with ink on your hands.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Dreck (December 24th, 2020), pajaro (January 15th, 2021), Pendragon (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

I don’t think I’d ever be able to give up fountain pens now that I’ve been using them again. There is nothing comparable for low-impact writing, and it’s so much better on my carpal tunnel.

Try Sailor Nano-Ink. It takes a little more fountain pen maintenance but performs wonderfully and dries quickly. My favorite is Seiboku.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Radonactionservices For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 24th, 2020)

Thanks

It's funny, I've been having trouble with ink on my hands recently. I use a Platinum Carbon Pen (medium) in a stand every day, and recently its taken to flooding a little and I find I get ink on my middle finger from the section. Not sure why; it may be I tend to use it just after washing up the breakfast things and my hand is too warm and makes it burp, or it may be the one that developed a crack in the section and my repair has failed. Either way, it's been annoying me the last couple of weeks, off and on. With Christmas Day approaching, I removed it from the dining table where it usually lives so Pa Weevil and I can pretend to be civilised weevils and dine with table cloths and place mats and other "posh" things instead of slumming it at the kitchen table. So when I came to draw out the Sudoku puzzles of the day today (It's what I do and oddly mediative. Or maybe just odd), I was forced to use a Pilot G-2. An excellent pen of its kind, but by gum, I missed my fountain pen. The gel pen was dry, and needed pressure, and was just all round unsatisfying. I came to the conclusion I'd much rather have ink on my hands.

But I'm also going to take a hard look at the Carbon Pen and see if there is a crack. Because FPs are fickle beasts, and if you don't love their virtues enough, then their vices will put you off.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Ballpoints are better than fountain pens for some people, but that's OK. To each his or her own. The important thing is that more and more people are exposed to an increasing number of alternatives.

I still like fountain pens much more than ballpoints, but what do you expect from someone on a fountain pen forum?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

penwash (January 2nd, 2021), Schaumburg_Swan (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

At least try a rollerball

Thanks

OP: Is it me or the pen?

FPGeeks: It’s you.

FPGeeks: It’s never the pen.