Thread: Help with Muster engraved on clip

Thanks

Default Help with Muster engraved on clip

Hi
    First post and new to collecting fountain pens.
    I was hoping that someone might be able to help with identifying a MB I bought recently. When it arrived, I noticed that it had Muster engraved on the clip. I can't find too much about why but I think the pen may have been a shop pen to allow folk to test the pen before purchase. If anyone can shed any light on this, I would be grateful.

4.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Default Re: Help with Muster engraved on clip

A 'muster' is a test pen - part of a set that would have been in MB stores so customers could try out different sizes, styles, nibs to see what suited them. The ones I've seen before usually have the word (along with the nib size) stamped on the barrel and cap. It may be that this one was to 'demonstrate' the engraving service offered by MB? It's certainly a lot less intrusive than those engraved on the barrels!

Nice looking 144 - have fun cleaning it up (and get it a converter!)

(corrected!)
    Last edited by mizgeorge; December 12th, 2020 at 06:27 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Oslac (December 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Did 145s have a gold-plated band at the end of the section like 144s? Dale sells replacements (see https://pentooling.com).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    A 'muster' is a test pen - part of a set that would have been in MB stores so customers could try out different sizes, styles, nibs to see what suited them.
    According to Google, "muster" in German means "sample" or "specimen" so that seems to be the logical explanation.

Aaaand... it is a lot better explanation than what I initially thought: that the pen was property of a certain mister Muster!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (December 13th, 2020), Oslac (December 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Did 145s have a gold-plated band at the end of the section like 144s? Dale sells replacements (see https://pentooling.com).
    You're absolutely right Fred - it's a 144. My bad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I agree it's a 144 Classique that looks like it could do with a new section in order to have a nice new replacement band next to the nib. Since that service might also involve a new cap chuck I wonder if they might replace the clip too.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you to everyone who replied.
    I agree about the gold band needing replacing. I may need to source someone in the UK for this.
    The pen writes beautifully but maybe when I use up the MB cartridge's, I will go for a converter.
    Wondering about Chrissy's comment. Why will a new cap chuck (not sure what that is) be needed if the section is replaced?
    Also, can anyone tell me about the nib. I have looked at many on-line MB nibs and cannot find one with a gold edge and a gold central circle. Is mine unusual or linked to a limited number of pens?
    And finally, The engraved Muster on the clip is a bit odd but it is part of the pen's history and I am minded to keep it but the question is; does anyone have an opinion as to whether they would keep the Muster engraving.
    Thank you all again and I hope you can help with my confusion.... or should I say education.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oslac View Post
    Thank you to everyone who replied.
    I agree about the gold band needing replacing. I may need to source someone in the UK for this.
    The pen writes beautifully but maybe when I use up the MB cartridge's, I will go for a converter.
    Wondering about Chrissy's comment. Why will a new cap chuck (not sure what that is) be needed if the section is replaced?
    Also, can anyone tell me about the nib. I have looked at many on-line MB nibs and cannot find one with a gold edge and a gold central circle. Is mine unusual or linked to a limited number of pens?
    And finally, The engraved Muster on the clip is a bit odd but it is part of the pen's history and I am minded to keep it but the question is; does anyone have an opinion as to whether they would keep the Muster engraving.
    Thank you all again and I hope you can help with my confusion.... or should I say education.
    You will be unable to find a new section with GP band anywhere within the UK. Montblanc is the only source.
    Your nib is what was always known as a "two tone" nib. Maybe the gold central circle is slightly different, but that might possibly have been the standard when the tester pen was issued.
    If it was my pen I would be sending it to Montblanc with a request to change the section, the cap clutch and the clip. If you prefer to keep the clip showing everyone everywhere that it's a "tester pen" then that's up to you. You can always make that request. It will remove quite some value from the pen in the event you or your beneficiaries ever decide to part with it, and most of that value that you will have removed will have been already replaced by you having paid for a new section in order to get a "good" GP band.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Oslac (December 14th, 2020)