Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inky fingers...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

Default Re: Inky fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I rather like my inkstained fingers. Much easier than nail polish, and just as many pretty colours.
    My inkstains must at the very least harmonize with my nail polish!
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Morgaine (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Here's an strange thing though. I fill pens with bottled ink pretty much every day. I very rarely get any on my fingers. This evening, they're bright purple as I had to fit a cartridge to my shiny new Pocket Six and get it to flow - I'd forgotten how much I hate cartridges. I need to find a converter that works with it...
    You might want to try re-filling old cartridges with ink from a bottle using a syringe.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by resipsa View Post
    Here's an strange thing though. I fill pens with bottled ink pretty much every day. I very rarely get any on my fingers. This evening, they're bright purple as I had to fit a cartridge to my shiny new Pocket Six and get it to flow - I'd forgotten how much I hate cartridges. I need to find a converter that works with it...
    You might want to try re-filling old cartridges with ink from a bottle using a syringe.
    I do, but only when absolutely necessary - partly because of the time it takes for the ink to reach the feed, partly because the cartridges degrade over time and then don't fit properly, and partly because I just don't like fiddling with them!

Thanks

My only ink which is very INKY is Noodler's Baystate BLue. I wish I had gloves evrytime I had a stains on some where. Very unusual Ink.

Thanks

I keep Amodex stain remover around. It so far has removed any ink regular soap and water has not from my hands (and stuff).
    Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637

Thanks
    Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsedition View Post
    I keep Amodex stain remover around. It so far has removed any ink regular soap and water has not from my hands (and stuff).
    I also use Amodex for small spots or for clothes, but for really inky fingers I keep a bar of Lava soap in a soapdish in the bathroom.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

I usually don't end up with inky fingers. However, today was a once-rarely refilling of a favored fountain pen with Parker Penman Sapphire. It was a bear getting the cap off, with some ink having dried on the rim of the bottle. Before re-capping, I sprayed a little Windex on a paper towel to clean off the rim. It soaked through and got on my fingers. 80% of it came off with a small scrub brush and hand soap. Most of the rest will come off in the shower, the final bits will just go away with the best product of all: time.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

My fingers are always inky because I usually work on multiple pens at a time.

(By "work" here I mean restoring old pens, just to be clear).

So getting inky fingers because of refilling a pen is the least of my issues
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 27th, 2020), Ole Juul (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't know if anyone in this thread could connect to this comment, but did any of you ever get a good look at Susan Writh's hands? I mean, they were *perpetually* blue, at least every time I saw them! She spent so much time fixing pens, filling pens, showing people how to write with pens, etc, etc it was just unending. Probably all Parker ink, too.

I may have a photo that shows it somewhere, I'll look around. What a remarkable pen person she was.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

I rather like my inkstained fingers. Much easier than nail polish, and just as many pretty colours.
    I totally agree! And, if I do get tired of all the colorful splotches, there’s always soap/water, or, better yet, Amodex!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I don't know if anyone in this thread could connect to this comment, but did any of you ever get a good look at Susan Writh's hands? I mean, they were *perpetually* blue, at least every time I saw them! She spent so much time fixing pens, filling pens, showing people how to write with pens, etc, etc it was just unending. Probably all Parker ink, too.

I may have a photo that shows it somewhere, I'll look around. What a remarkable pen person she was.
    "was." <<ULP>> Is she gone?
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaliuzhkin View Post
    "was." <<ULP>> Is she gone?
    This coming May will be four years. Here is the thread I posted at the time when I was informed. Unique, irreplaceable.

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

I’m not bothered in the least by ink on my hands. It is usually very little and only occurs when filling.

I’ve noticed some people are more tender than most. For example, there are some people who find a fragment of tea leaf in their cup to be gross. Not merely a nuisance, which it isn’t, but gross.

Avoiding judgment, I feel it is probably best to avoid people like this. It’s hard to predict what trivial indiscretion will land me in the hot seat. I don’t want to be judged for the way I eat an orange or lace my shoes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baisao View Post
    I’m not bothered in the least by ink on my hands. It is usually very little and only occurs when filling.

I’ve noticed some people are more tender than most. For example, there are some people who find a fragment of tea leaf in their cup to be gross. Not merely a nuisance, which it isn’t, but gross.

Avoiding judgment, I feel it is probably best to avoid people like this. It’s hard to predict what trivial indiscretion will land me in the hot seat. I don’t want to be judged for the way I eat an orange or lace my shoes.
    I can appreciate your thoughts. Having Serenity Blue stains on my fingers is not something that concerns me, nor a leaf or three of Wagh Bakri in my cup. If you must have a life of perfection, use a BIC and Kuerig. If you want to enjoy life, get a little ink on your fingers and have a brew of loose tea leaves.

Thanks

I prefer a few leaves in my tea, and I eschew tea bags.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,443 Times in 2,523 Posts

I avoid ink in my tea.

Thanks

It takes all kinds, Fred.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It's pretty simple. I avoid spilling ink. Accidents happen but I am really careful. The only major ink accident I have had was when ink spurted out from a pen I had just received in the mail and the original owner did not empty the pen.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I literally have a tattoo underneath my collarbone of an ink/watercolor splotch with a constellation on top. It's blue, pink, and purple. Having committed to this artsy (inky?) tattoo for the rest of my life, it's safe to say that ink splotches on my hands don't bother me a bit. In fact, I rather enjoy the look