Thread: Good grief...I broke it!

Thanks

Default Good grief...I broke it!

I seem to have broken my Stewart Conway Dinkie 550 nib. To be fair it looked like it had been repaired before....I see no identifying numbers on the nib to help me replace. What do I do now?. Can anyone recommend Nib repair? Or is their a nib I can look for on ebay. Any thoughts please guys.

Thanks

Default Re: Good grief...I broke it!

The trouble is that the Dinkie is not the most sought after of Conway Stewarts, therefore it is not worth very much, for example I saw two for sale today at 50GBP for both, assuming yours is a relatively modern pen.

There are people who sell CS Dinkie nibs but you will pay as much for the nib as you would for a complete replacement, therefore unless your particular pen means something special to you I would replace the Dinkie from Ebay or even upgrade to the 27 or something else from CS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I seem to have broken my Stewart Conway Dinkie 550 nib. To be fair it looked like it had been repaired before....I see no identifying numbers on the nib to help me replace. What do I do now?. Can anyone recommend Nib repair? Or is their a nib I can look for on ebay. Any thoughts please guys.
    "Broken" is a remarkably broad description. Can you post a picture or better describe what "broken" means in this case?

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Dreck (December 23rd, 2020), Jon Szanto (December 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

The Dinkie nib has been known to break in half through the breather hole, we shall see the extent of the break perhaps

Thanks

The 550 nib doesn't have a number.

Thanks

It doesn't have a special meaning to me ,Its just a nice pen, I'm not able to post a pic at the moment but its the opposite end to the tip and it has split on the side.
    I have a couple of conway 36s which I love. Not terribly expensive but its a shame to waste a good pen.
    I know £50 isn't a lot of money to replace it but having a spare £50 is rare at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

It doesn't have a special meaning to me ,Its just a nice pen, I'm not able to post a pic at the moment but its the opposite end to the tip and it has split on the side.
    I have a couple of conway 36s which I love. Not terribly expensive but its a shame to waste a good pen.
    I know £50 isn't a lot of money to replace it but having a spare £50 is rare at the moment.
    They occasionally come up for lower prices on ebay UK at auction. I just did a search to see what came up. Try watching this one and see how it goes.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    They occasionally come up for lower prices on ebay UK at auction. I just did a search to see what came up. Try watching this one and see how it goes.
    I guess theres no hurry, LOL, Thats probably my best option. But can anyone tell me do I have to buy another 550? Will any of the other dinkies have the same size nib?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I guess theres no hurry, LOL, Thats probably my best option. But can anyone tell me do I have to buy another 550? Will any of the other dinkies have the same size nib?
    Now you're asking! I would say yes, all the post-war ones will have a nib that fits. Don't go for the earlier ones.