Thread: Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue Ink Review

Thanks

Default Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue Ink Review

Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue Ink

Prelude

One of the newest among Noodler’s inks. And by a huge margin the best and the most exceptional I have tried. To cut the long story short: go and buy it, you will not regret, it is an outstanding ink.

I tested it in 2 pens: Caran d’Ache Genčve F nib (quite fine and not wet), Montblanc Slimline M nib (a broader kind of M and very wet, with ebonite feed).

The paper used is Oxford (a coated paper similar to Rhodia).

The water test performed with a huge drop (it took about 12 hours to evaporate so we may call it a 12 hours soaking). The bleeding/dirt you see it actually due to a DIFFERENT ink I wrote with on the other side of the paper, deterioration of the paper (12 hours of soaking) and the fact I dropped the paper on the dirty balcony floor ). Noodler’s Baltimore Canyon Blue did not feather or bleed.

Photos taken in a natural daylight (in overall a rather gentle sunlight - in different intensities).

Description

COMPOSITION: Presumably dye based. My guess it is some kind of a newer dye. The ink is not thick, the dye load is not high (unlike most Noodler’s ink).

COLOUR: True blue, a kind of a deep sky blue (definitely not blurple, rather azure). Looks vibrant on coated papers and flatter on absorbent papers. It is a great kind of blue.

FLOW/LUBRICATION: The flow is good but not wet, it works better in wetter pens. No exceptional lubrication really.

FEATHERING/BLEEDING: None. Bleeding is possible in very wet nibs, but the ink is definitely well-behaved.

DRYING TIME: Depends on the pen's wetness, but in general quite fast.

WATER-/FADE-RESISTANCE: Completely waterproof once dried and lightfast. A real archival ink.

SHADING/SHEEN: Shading depends on the pen and paper. Sheen only in very wet pens on coated papers.

CLEANING: Quite easy with just a plain water (it may leave a very light nearly invisible film but it will disappear with a bit of effort), much easier than the majority of water resistant inks. Disappears from hands immediately with just a bit of soap. Amazing.

Summary

The ink performs great. The flow is good but drier nibs may cause a bit of skipping (especially drier fine nibs) but not a lot.
    The ink is fully permanent. Amazingly permanent. Yet quite easy to clean.
    The colour is appealing. Vibrant but not too vibrant (I would not hesitate using it in office). On absorbent papers the colour is flatter.

It behaves very well. Really well. No complaints

Price is superb. Appx. 19 USD in States and 12.50 EUR from lacouronneducomte in Europe. It is worth every single cent.

I have never been a fan of Noodler’s inks. At all. I don't like Nathan and I don't like most of his inks I have tried. But this ink is a real must have. There is only a couple of inks I would call must have, this ink i sone of them. You have to get it, seriously.

Caran d'Ache Genčve F nib (not wet)

Montblanc M nib (wet)

Water test - 12 hours of soaking (ignore the feathering and bleeding - it's purely due to the deterioration of the paper caused by hours of soaking and a dirt I got on the paper when I dropped it on the balcony floor, this ink normally neither feathers nor bleeds)

Last edited by aurore; December 23rd, 2020 at 03:48 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to aurore For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (December 28th, 2020), Brilliant Bill (December 26th, 2020), digitalsedition (December 27th, 2020), dneal (December 24th, 2020), junglejim (December 23rd, 2020), NumberSix (December 24th, 2020), Ole Juul (December 26th, 2020), Pharaohfitz (July 18th, 2021), pocketses (January 20th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 23rd, 2020), Yazeh (December 23rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue Ink Review

Thorough review, thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Wow. Seems like a great ink. Fabuous praise. Now I have to finish my R & K Marlene until I get this one... Nathan seems to have matured in his ink making

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I think that's perhaps the first time I've found myself really wanting a Noodlers ink. Great review - thank you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Looks like a very good ink. Not sure it's $20 good!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Thorough review, thank you.
    You're most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Wow. Seems like a great ink. Fabuous praise. Now I have to finish my R & K Marlene until I get this one... Nathan seems to have matured in his ink making
    While I love R&K inks, Marlene is not as attractive (at least for me) nor as easy to clean (though R&K cleaning fluid is a beast ) but is a great ink anyway.
    The biggest advantage of this new Noodler's ink is how (comparatively) easy it is to clean while fully permanent on paper (in every way, unlike Baystate Blue). I am still not a fan of Noodler's inks in general, but this one deserves all the credit

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I think that's perhaps the first time I've found myself really wanting a Noodlers ink. Great review - thank you
    You are too kind and most welcome Indeed this ink really deserves buying. In my percention it does not provide such a pleasant feeling some Sailor inks do (though almost no other brand does), but all the other properties are just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Looks like a very good ink. Not sure it's $20 good!
    Definitely $20 good! I know no cheaper (per ml) comparable ink - IG, nano-pigment and Nathan's usual inks are quite different (the latter beside other properties usually have a huge dye load which this ink does not).