Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Thanks

Default Re: I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    Ron Z

Sir,

Please can you post any photography of fake Duofold's that you have seen.

As an aside.

Youtube clip -

Susan Wirth at 2016 Chicago Pen Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unB-Tb5JfeQ
    Jinhao makes one I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Default Re: I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    Ron Z

Sir,

I think Ron might mean the Chinese knockoffs that are reasonably decent copies of the Parker Duofold
    Maybe like these Moonman 600's?
    They're certainly part of it. But if you look at pens in the 20s and 30s especially, the orange pen with black ends was copied by lower end brands, as was the boxy shape of the pen. Even today, the basic profile of a Duofold is copied. Bexley has made them, as have others including the Chinese manufacturers.

Almost as if on cue, I had a 30s black and pearl Streamlined Duofold Sr on the bench today that illustrates my comment about "mixed up parts." I've seen enough NOS pens from Parker and Sheaffer that I'm not willing to say that it "didn't" or "couldn't have" left the factory this way. This was the depression, and sometimes you used the parts that you had. Beautiful pen, extra fine nib - and the Vacumatic style nib with a christmas tree feed. Not a Lucky Curve or cut off Lucky Curve - but a christmas tree feed, so named because of the shape of the collectors.

Here's the nib - count the feathers on the arrow - there are 10

Here's the feed.... I measured both this one and a Vac style feed - identical diameter. BTW, the reason I say "Vac style" is that there is a subtle difference. While they look the same, and there is a hole drilled in the end, there isn't a hole coming up from the breather hole in the end that the breather tube goes into, up to the ink channel.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 30th, 2020), Dreck (December 30th, 2020), Jon Szanto (December 29th, 2020), proteus (December 30th, 2020), Yazeh (December 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Almost as if on cue, I had a 30s black and pearl Streamlined Duofold Sr on the bench today...
    I love it. The devil is in the details.

And it is moments like this that remind me of the pain I feel when I hear people discounting and disrespecting experience. All your time at the bench, all the thousands of pens that have come into your hands... that means something. I'm grateful you share some of this, too.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Dreck (December 30th, 2020), manoeuver (December 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

No notch on the feed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    No notch on the feed.
    I have a couple NOS Christmas tree feeds, no notch on them either. Most of the time a cut off feed is a rough cut, or the curve is just broken off. This is a clean, square cut.
    Last edited by Ron Z; December 30th, 2020 at 08:27 AM.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Almost as if on cue, I had a 30s black and pearl Streamlined Duofold Sr on the bench today that illustrates my comment about "mixed up parts." I've seen enough NOS pens from Parker and Sheaffer that I'm not willing to say that it "didn't" or "couldn't have" left the factory this way. This was the depression, and sometimes you used the parts that you had. Beautiful pen, extra fine nib - and the Vacumatic style nib with a christmas tree feed. Not a Lucky Curve or cut off Lucky Curve - but a christmas tree feed, so named because of the shape of the collectors.

Here's the nib - count the feathers on the arrow - there are 10
    Ron, the Duofold arrow nib was also discussed this week at another FP community. According to David Nishimmura, the 10 feather nib was an official Parker nib that was specially made as a replacement nib for the Duofold.

https://vintagepensblog.blogspot.com...rint-nibs.html.

If you plan removing the nib from your pen, it would be interesting to know whether the nib also has the unique imprints that David talks about.

Thanks

Ron, the Duofold arrow nib was also discussed this week at another FP community. According to David Nishimmura, the 10 feather nib was an official Parker nib that was specially made as a replacement nib for the Duofold.
    Parker was putting them in some of the Streamlined pens. I've owned several of them, and have seen many without the star for a replacement on them. The pen in the post above is a clients pen. I had to reset the nib and feed, and that nib did not have the star.
    Last edited by Ron Z; December 30th, 2020 at 03:30 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

Ron Z

Sir,

Do you have any knowledge of post 1987 fakes, not ' lookalikes '

I have never seen any passable ones

Thanks

Today I watched this pen sail through UK ebay @ £850, in about 10 minutes it was sold on a buy now.

The auction title was :

Parker Duofold Senior BHR 1st Issue Fountain Pen 1923. 14K M Nib. Mint. RARE

My Parker knowledge base is post 1947

Frankly if it was offered me at £100 I would have walked on by……… clearly I have missed something………

Thanks

At 1100 US we both missed something.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

proteus (December 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Farmboy ' At 1100 US we both missed something. '

Please can you tell me why someone would pay that amount for this particular Parker pen.

I am very interested...........here to learn from the very best.

Thanks

I have no idea. I’d have put a black raised band Sr Duofold at 300 full retail.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

proteus (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

And at that price, I would have bought it. No idea about the ebay sale, though the seller is well-known and sells a lot of expensive stuff.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

proteus (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Empty_of_Clouds,

Sir,

I am surprised that you would know of this pen seller from Oswaldtwistle in the UK given where you live.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Where I live notwithstanding, I am a Brit, though I never spent much time in Lancs. I also know how to use the internet!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I also know how to use the internet!
    That was my first thought, as well!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Given the assembled expertise, my comments were never meant to be condescending, if you found them so, forgive me

Was waiting for Ron Z to look at the ebay pen I mentioned.
    For any comments, and this consideration of a real life value.
    Last edited by proteus; January 2nd, 2021 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks

Not sure that it is worth what it went for. Hard rubber is unusual, but is it that good? But, if color is perfect, imprint perfect, trim perfect, and maybe a flex nib on a BHR pen, it could go for quite a bit. I rarely see them go that high. Don't look to me for accurate pricing though. I tell people that my strength is in repair, and I often ask about pricing before listing if I have a really good pen. Sometimes I'm high, sometimes I'm low, hopefully in the ball park on a reasonable price most of the time.

Visit Main Street Pens

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

proteus (January 3rd, 2021), Yazeh (January 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

I am glad I don't have the fever for those expensive, old pens. I happened into one of those old pens, but I couldn't make it write. Gave up too soon, but sometimes all you want is a relic. I don't want to have to write with it. The guy who sold it was trying to give me repair hints as I was fleeing out the door.

Thanks

penmainiac,

Sorry if I go off topic again on your post.

It is very rare to have such an assembly of elite pre 1947 Parker knowledge on one post.
    ( obviously I am NOT included in that statement )

If I may please.

Can these images be looked at, and comments offered.

To my simple eyes possibly the best Parker pen set I have ever seen.

A Parker Challenger Sword in Red Herringbone.

The images are not mine, nor is the pen set.

Sold recently for vast bags of gold, I would have needed to load 5 horses to carry all the bags…….