Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Thanks

Default I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to share my excitement of buying this beautiful Senior Duofold for $185!!! I don’t know if I overpaid or not, but the duofold has been my grail since I’ve gotten into fountain pens. Here are some pics! Its seen better days but I’m delighted at being able to own a piece of history nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penmainiac For This Useful Post:

da vinci (December 27th, 2020), manoeuver (December 31st, 2020), pajaro (December 27th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (December 27th, 2020), TFarnon (January 7th, 2021), Turquoise (January 2nd, 2021), welch (December 28th, 2020), Yazeh (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Default Re: I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Have fun cleaning it up!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Have fun cleaning it up!
    I could use some advice on that, soaking is a no go because of the hard rubber.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Ahem... Being that it is an iconic pen and a "grail" for you, I would suggest one of two things: either pay a small amount more to have an experienced pen person do the restoration, or spend plenty of time and research how to go about doing this yourself. It would be a big shame if you went to this expense and trouble to get the pen, only to muck it up in some way because you wanted to do it yourself but don't know all the ins and outs.

For one thing, how best to work on button fillers, in addition to the significant issue of the design of the "Lucky Curve" feed, when replacing the sac are not trivial matters. So if you don't send it out, do a lot of reading online. Start at Richard Binder's site in the Reference Pages section. You'll find most of what you need to know there. You'll have to get tools and supplies as well, another additional cost that may make sending the pen off a more attractive proposition.

it's a great pen is fairly good condition. Let's make certain it only gets better from here on out!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

da vinci (December 27th, 2020), jar (December 27th, 2020), jos (December 30th, 2020), penmainiac (December 27th, 2020), TFarnon (January 7th, 2021), welch (December 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Default I just bought my grail pen... a beautiful big red Parker Senior Duofold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ahem... Being that it is an iconic pen and a "grail" for you, I would suggest one of two things: either pay a small amount more to have an experienced pen person do the restoration, or spend plenty of time and research how to go about doing this yourself. It would be a big shame if you went to this expense and trouble to get the pen, only to muck it up in some way because you wanted to do it yourself but don't know all the ins and outs.

For one thing, how best to work on button fillers, in addition to the significant issue of the design of the "Lucky Curve" feed, when replacing the sac are not trivial matters. So if you don't send it out, do a lot of reading online. Start at Richard Binder's site in the Reference Pages section. You'll find most of what you need to know there. You'll have to get tools and supplies as well, another additional cost that may make sending the pen off a more attractive proposition.

it's a great pen is fairly good condition. Let's make certain it only gets better from here on out!
    Of course, I wouldn’t fathom messing with this pen. I was thinking about sending it over to Pentiques, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated!

Last edited by penmainiac; December 27th, 2020 at 02:58 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to penmainiac For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penmainiac View Post
    Of course, I wouldn’t fathom messing with this pen. I was thinking about sending it over to Pentiques, but of anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated!
    I have to be honest: that is one place I would NOT send it to. I would suggest two places to start with and let you do the investigation and decision:

* Danny Fudge at The Write Pen (I think thewritepen.net) - good work, reasonable price, usually short turnaround.
    * Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens - tons of experience, one of the top repair people in the US, also a member here on FPG (and a mod of the Repair Forum on FPN).

I'm actually breathing a sigh of relief that you'll let someone else do the work! I just botched a restore at home and realized, once again, that no matter how many I'm successful with, I'm still learning, dammit!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

da vinci (December 27th, 2020), FredRydr (December 27th, 2020), penmainiac (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Of course, I wouldn’t fathom messing with this pen. I was thinking about sending it over to Pentiques, but of anyone has any recommendations that would be appreciated!
    I have to be honest: that is one place I would NOT send it to. I would suggest two places to start with and let you do the investigation and decision:

* Danny Fudge at The Write Pen (I think thewritepen.net) - good work, reasonable price, usually short turnaround.
    * Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens - tons of experience, one of the top repair people in the US, also a member here on FPG (and a mod of the Repair Forum on FPN).

I'm actually breathing a sigh of relief that you'll let someone else do the work! I just botched a restore at home and realized, once again, that no matter how many I'm successful with, I'm still learning, dammit!
    I have yet to botch a repair but I’m not going to take the chance of ruining this grail. Danny Fudge looks to have reasonable prices, I might send it to him if I find no better options. Thank you for the recommendations!

Thanks

Question: This duofold seems to have a replacement nib and feed. Does anyone know of there will be a change in performance or any other information?

Thanks

Congratulations! It is so exciting to be on a quest for a particular pen and to finally find it! I hope you have many years of enjoyment, appreciating this bit of history

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Turquoise For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question: This duofold seems to have a replacement nib and feed. Does anyone know of there will be a change in performance or any other information?
    That would depend entirely on the nib and feed that you suspect are not original. Your photos are not detailed enough to give a qualified, in-depth answer. From what I can see, the feed looks at least ok, or simply the original type, but there are a myriad of details in these early pens. If you simply asking if it will write well, of that I have no doubt, after good setup.

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Intact Lucky Curve feeds are rare. Besides, you can just leave it in place. I don’t knock nibs and feeds out unless there’s a compelling reason. After that there’s nothing especially difficult with the servicing the button filler.

What is tricky with the hard rubber Duofolds is getting them apart and back together again without cracking anything.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

eachan (December 27th, 2020), penmainiac (December 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Intact Lucky Curve feeds are rare. Besides, you can just leave it in place. I don’t knock nibs and feeds out unless there’s a compelling reason. After that there’s nothing especially difficult with the servicing the button filler.

What is tricky with the hard rubber Duofolds is getting them apart and back together again without cracking anything.
    I don’t plan to take it apart too scared to break my grail pen to do that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Later Vacumatic Arrow style nib and feed. Consistent with period Parker repair. Not a problem as far as performance goes.

Very common to see this configuration, early Duofold nibs tended to develop tail cracks.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 27th, 2020), penmainiac (December 27th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (December 27th, 2020), welch (December 28th, 2020)

Thanks

This one has an original nib

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

An iconic pen that everyone should have in their collection. I remember seeing the ads for the "Big Red" pens in the early 70s, and thinking "I'd love to have one, and bet that they're long gone. Little did I know! I have a number of them, and have sold quite a few over the years.

I suspect that this is a celluloid pen, not hard rubber. The raised cap band and imprint are consistent with 1926-28 celluloid pens. The color of celluloid is also darker like yours is. The red hard rubber pens are a noticeably brighter orange, and I would expect to see a large DUOFOLD on the imprint. The Vacumatic style nibs were supplied by Parker, and are appropriate with a Vac style feed. I say style because the Vacumatic nibs have 9 feathers, and the Duofold arrow nibs have 10. I prefer the Vac style feeds, and to some extent nibs, over the Lucky Curve and Christmas tree feeds because the regulation of ink flow is better. Because I see so many different nib, feed and cap combinations that I don't blink at any of the variations. I also find that the tipping material on the later nibs is a bit smoother.

If you want to confirm hard rubber or celluloid, rub the barrel briskly with your thumb, then sniff. If it's hard rubber, you'll be able to smell the rubber. Parker's black hard rubber used on sections, inner caps and blind caps is a bit more resistant to turning brown than some of the rubber used by pen manufacturers

This is a hard rubber pen that I sold earlier this year...

This shows the imprint.

Last edited by Ron Z; December 28th, 2020 at 02:40 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 28th, 2020), Jon Szanto (December 28th, 2020), proteus (December 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Ron Z

I was waiting for your reply on this post.

Read it with great interest.

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Very nice pen, Penmaniac. Hopefully the restoration will go well. Had one myself a while back, sold it (totally regretted this of course) and have never found another in the same condition/sensible price. Getting harder to find, so well done.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

penmainiac (December 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    Ron Z

I was waiting for your reply on this post.

Read it with great interest.

Thank you
    What can I say? I like the pens! I have one in my pen case next to me that was in pretty rough shape, so I replaced the cap lip, plated the trim, and finished the repair. Some go in the parts bin, but I hate to see these go there unless they can't be redeemed. They have to be one of the most copied pens of all time. You still see Duofold knockoffs made today.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Ron Z

Sir,

Please can you post any photography of fake Duofold's that you have seen.

As an aside.

Youtube clip -

Susan Wirth at 2016 Chicago Pen Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unB-Tb5JfeQ
    Last edited by proteus; December 29th, 2020 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by proteus View Post
    Ron Z

Sir,

Please can you post any photography of fake Duofold's that you have seen.

I think Ron might mean the Chinese knockoffs that are reasonably decent copies of the Parker Duofold
    Maybe like these Moonman 600's?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens