Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Kaweco DIA2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Modern Kaweco DIA2

Nice looking nib, Ray.

Thanks

The original post was back in December, so the deal may have ended and the pens all sold. On Amazon and eBay were Dia2 gold trim pens for about $70.00 US. The deal included the pen, one cartridge, a small black clamshell box, and the little papers that come in the box. It did not include the converter and the nib was the stock Kaweco nib rather than the larger Bock nib unit. The pens usually sold around the $100 mark, so the $70 was a good deal.

The nib units run about $15 each from Beaufort ink, at the current exchange rate. The shipping is a bit costly, so it's worth it if you have several items from Beaufort that you want. There's nothing wrong with the stock Kaweco nib I had in terms of quality. It looks a little small for the pen, but it was a perfectly good writer. I was going to order some parts from Beaufort, so I put a Bock nib into the order as well. The bi-color is a nice touch.

My opinion still is that it's a nice pen, and the bi-color Bock makes it even better, but that at the full $100+ retail price, I'd start looking for a good used or discount Pelikan M200 series pen. At the sale price of $70, it would be a good pick. If you don't count the shipping because you need stuff from Beaufort anyway (pen parts in my case), my final cost was $85 for the pen plus the nib unit, which is pretty good. At full retail you'd be probably $115-120 or so.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; April 28th, 2021 at 07:52 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 28th, 2021), KrazyIvan (April 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I grew to like the Dia so much that I ended up buying one of the amber LE's. I love the Pelikan M200/400, but given the choice of only one I would be hard pressed to not choose the Dia.

The quality of the resin/plastic, the heft from the brass inserts, and just the way it sits in my hand makes for a comfortable pen. I think it's worth the $100-125 they're currently listed for on Amazon.

I've actually gone back to the smaller 060 nib, and think I prefer it to the 076. It is curious how a couple of mm distance from the surface of the paper changes the feel when writing.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

The issue I'm having with the Bock nib is the usual over-polishing around the nib slit where it contacts the paper (sometimes called "baby's bottom"). It's not what I would call "really bad", but you can feel they sometimes over-polish these things and you'll get a hard start here and there. The worst offenders I have are modern Conklin nibs, but this Bock unit has a little over-polish feel to it. It's certainly fixable and the Bock nib is otherwise quite attractive and smooth. The stock Kaweco nib did not have an over-polish issue. The stock Kaweco had a more rigid feel to me as well, which is a taste thing. The stock nib certainly was what I would call a "solid writer". I guess the Bock just needs a little adjustment.

I haven't had the issue on my Pelikan nibs, but I suppose it could happen on a new Pelikan as well. Everyone turns out a dud once in awhile. Though my favorite modern nib is the M200 series steel.

But some of these modern nibs are real offenders when it comes to over-polishing around where the nib slit would contact the paper. I have a modern Conklin Glider that still has the issue to some degree, even after copious adjustment and micromesh. They must be obsessed with making the nib as smooth as a roller ball. I cannot say as I've had a vintage nib with the same issue. The oldies certainly have other issues sometimes, but baby's bottom isn't among the common ones I've come across. Despite modern manufacturing techniques, I have a higher opinion of the vintage nibs I've come across, as a whole, compared to the modern ones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    The issue I'm having with the Bock nib is the usual over-polishing around the nib slit where it contacts the paper (sometimes called "baby's bottom"). It's not what I would call "really bad", but you can feel they sometimes over-polish these things and you'll get a hard start here and there. The worst offenders I have are modern Conklin nibs, but this Bock unit has a little over-polish feel to it. It's certainly fixable and the Bock nib is otherwise quite attractive and smooth. The stock Kaweco nib did not have an over-polish issue. The stock Kaweco had a more rigid feel to me as well, which is a taste thing. The stock nib certainly was what I would call a "solid writer". I guess the Bock just needs a little adjustment.

I haven't had the issue on my Pelikan nibs, but I suppose it could happen on a new Pelikan as well. Everyone turns out a dud once in awhile. Though my favorite modern nib is the M200 series steel.

But some of these modern nibs are real offenders when it comes to over-polishing around where the nib slit would contact the paper. I have a modern Conklin Glider that still has the issue to some degree, even after copious adjustment and micromesh. They must be obsessed with making the nib as smooth as a roller ball. I cannot say as I've had a vintage nib with the same issue. The oldies certainly have other issues sometimes, but baby's bottom isn't among the common ones I've come across. Despite modern manufacturing techniques, I have a higher opinion of the vintage nibs I've come across, as a whole, compared to the modern ones.
    Yes, it happens with Pelikan nibs. I have/had up to 4 modern pens and two of them had the issue. Yes, it's not a big sample size but the odds should have been against me if it were not a big issue.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I've been following this thread with interest. The Kaweco Dia 2 is one of the few modern pens that I would not mind owning.

Somewhat related, here's my Kaweco Dia 683 which I have upgraded its nib with an equally old Kaweco Palladium nib (I managed to get a few of these from a gold-scrap shop). Were I to land a Dia 2, I would probably put one of these on it as well.

(yes I know i'm missing one 'l' on the writing sample, oh well).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 1st, 2021), eachan (May 2nd, 2021), Yazeh (April 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

That's lovely looking pen Will. Is it a piston filler?
    The Dia 2 is a very nice pen. After reviewing it I had a choice of paying for it or returning it to Kaweco. Sadly I made the wrong choice and didn't keep it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    That's lovely looking pen Will. Is it a piston filler?
    The Dia 2 is a very nice pen. After reviewing it I had a choice of paying for it or returning it to Kaweco. Sadly I made the wrong choice and didn't keep it.
    Correct, this is a piston filler, Chrissy.

Now we can see where the Dia 2 gets its good looks from
    - Will

12. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest. The Kaweco Dia 2 is one of the few modern pens that I would not mind owning.

Somewhat related, here's my Kaweco Dia 683 which I have upgraded its nib with an equally old Kaweco Palladium nib (I managed to get a few of these from a gold-scrap shop). Were I to land a Dia 2, I would probably put one of these on it as well.

Any chance we could get a shot of the palladium nib please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Any chance we could get a shot of the palladium nib please?
    Yes, I just wrote a review of that pen here: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...369#post324369
    - Will