Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Kaweco DIA2

Thanks

Default Modern Kaweco DIA2

Just a quick note - the gold trim variation of the Kaweco DIA2 has been on "blow out" pricing on Amazon and eBay for a couple of weeks now (mine was about half price of usual). If you buy one, be sure to order a converter separately, and if you are in doubt as to nib width, go up a size. The medium nib on mine is a nice, smooth fine/medium. The fine would have been too fine for me. It runs a little narrower than an equally marked Pelikan nib, from what I can see (I use a "fine" in the M200 and M400 series). My Kaweco DIA2 came with a nice little case, one cartridge of ink, and the usual little paperwork. It did not come with the converter (which just arrived now as well). The nib has a ball tip, and it's a firm, smooth writer. The base material of the section is metal, so it has a little heft, but it's not uncomfortable to write with. I think it's a decent buy at $70 or so, though I think $130 is steep for it. If you're up in that range, I'd look at the Pelikan M200 and related series.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (January 7th, 2021), Malcolm (January 14th, 2021), TFarnon (December 31st, 2020), vdiantonio (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Modern Kaweco DIA2

I have been using this pen for a few more days. The nib was excellent straight from the box - good flow and smooth writing. It's more rigid than a Pelikan M200 nib, but equally as smooth. I usually find I have to do some minor adjusting to new nibs, but this one was great straight from the box, like my M200 and M400 Pelikans.

The pen has a little different feel from the M200. It's heavier and slightly longer than the M200. There is more section in the Dia2 than in the M200 - the section is longer and is where most of the weight is; whereas in the M200, the section is smaller and more balanced with the rest of the pen.

The nib is considerably smaller than the M200 and the Dia2 writes a little finer than the Pelikan.

The M200 holds more ink, but the Dia2 can take a cartridge if you prefer a cartridge. Both the M200 and the Dia2 have a modern "ball" tip to the nib. The Dia2 is a good pen for someone who like a little heavier pen, with the weight being in the section down low as you hold the pen. It's also nice if you like a roomier section for gripping and don't mind a smaller nib.

The Dia2 is a nice pen, especially at the discount of $70. I still think the $100-120 level is steep for a cartridge/converter item. The M200 is a more unitary design and construction. The M200 is more "balanced", while the Dia2 is section-heavy. The quality of workmanship on both is quite good, with the M200 being a little better. The knurled derby on the Dia2 is a really nice addition, as are the medallions on the derby top and at the butt end of the barrel.

The Dia2's barrel-to-section threads are brass-on-brass, which adds some heft and sturdiness. The jewel with medallion at the butt end of the barrel does add a little weight to somewhat balance the heavy brass section. It's certainly not a flimsy or "cheap" feeling pen.

The clip is study and attractive. The cap bands are somewhat on the large side in that they tend to stand proud from the surface of the cap, more so than a Pelikan or the Waterman Phileas.

Comparing to other modern but traditionalist-type pens I have:
    -the Dia2 is a step up from the Conklin Glider and Conklin Mark Twain. The Conklins aren't bad pens, but the nibs needed substantial adjustment out of the box. I've found their nibs often are over-polished to the point the slit does not always contact the paper.

-the Dia2 is roughly in the same grouping as a Pelikan M200, with the M200 being a little better design and quality all-around. Both are well-made. The Dia2 offers cartridge/converter.

-the Dia2 reminds me in some ways of the Waterman Phileas, with the Dia2 being overall a little nicer pen.

I'm happy with my buy on discount, but I'd be hard-pressed to pass up the M200 in favor of the Dia2 at $120+.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 15th, 2021), carlos.q (January 7th, 2021), ceebert (February 12th, 2021), FredRydr (January 7th, 2021), pocketses (January 20th, 2021), vdiantonio (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    ...I'd be hard-pressed to pass up the M200 ....
    I find they are one of the best modern pens for the money out there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (January 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

So I picked up one of the $69 Dia’s from Amazon. I have looked at them for years (particularly the amber LE), but was always worried the material quality would be lacking. The little Bock 060 seems undersized as well, but I get using it from a part commonality perspective.

Anyway, you’re right and it’s a very nice pen. The heft in particular feels good. The one I received writes well and needed no tuning. $70 was a steal.

Thanks for the heads up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (January 13th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

There is a thread on the "other" board about using the Bock 070, which fits perfectly in place of the one supplied in the pen. I bought one, and it makes a big difference in the appearance of the pen.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 15th, 2021), jodylud (January 14th, 2021), Ray-VIgo (January 13th, 2021)

Thanks

I assume that's a typo and you mean 076, but I have a spare 18k tri-tone and it does indeed fit perfectly! I assumed that the shoulders would be too wide or the extra 3 1/2mm length would be too much for the inner cap, which has been the case whenever I try to substitute one where a 060 or 180 was.

Much more appropriately sized to the pen. Thanks!
    Last edited by dneal; January 13th, 2021 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    There is a thread on the "other" board about using the Bock 070, which fits perfectly in place of the one supplied in the pen. I bought one, and it makes a big difference in the appearance of the pen.
    Interesting. I like the look of the bi-color steel nib. Is there anywhere in the US selling the 076 units? I found a source in Britain but I'd be paying as much for shipping as I would for the nib unit. I searched but couldn't find a US source.

Thanks

I bought a few when I was living in Germany 5 years ago or so, with a distributor located near me in Wiesbaden; but I never found them for sale here in the States.

Anyway, here's a quick snapshot to give you an idea of the dimensions.

1.jpeg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

jodylud (January 14th, 2021)

Thanks

I like that. I'm surprised it fits, but great if it does. Do the nib shoulders draw ink if there's condensation in the cap? On pens where the nib shoulders just barely touch the inner cap, you can sometimes get ink accumulation on the nib if you have condensation.

Thanks

I can't feel any contact on the shoulders or tip (which is usually the problem with this sort of thing).

Wintertime condensation is always an issue when going from outdoors to in, and in this case it might be exacerbated; but this pen just sits on the desk and isn't exposed to temperature changes.

Thanks

I did some measuring when I got my 076 nib. The shoulders do not hit the inner cap. They clear by a smidge, but it's enough. I know that this is the case of the 076 in a Sport, and I think it was in the DIA.... If you measure inner cap length with an inner cap gauge or two coffee stirrers it looks like the nib would hit the inside end of the cap. But you can verify that it clears if you put a piece of tape on the barrel where the cap stops when tightened down. Then stick a rod to the end of the cap, mark the edge of the cap on the rod, and then place the end of the rod at the edge of the tape. You'll see that there is plenty of room from the end of the nib to the inside end of the cap. It doesn't have to be much - it just has to clear.

Visit Main Street Pens

Thanks

My Bock nib units arrived from England. I bought a Fine and a Medium to see which would work best for me. The units were a direct swap screw-in for the stock unit. The nib is much larger, but it still fits under the cap without a problem. The only issue I ran into was that the Bock unit would not work with the stock Kaweco US-market converter I have (the silver type). I had a spare Euro-spec Kaweco converter (the grey one) and that worked with the Bock unit.

I am not sure when Kaweco started marketing a different converter, at least in the US. I figured it was "international standard" so they all were the same, but apparently there are slight differences between the silver US-spec and the grey Euro-spec converter. Who knew? I'm glad I had the spare grey Euro converter on-hand.

The Bock nib is really a nice looking thing and goes well with the Dia2.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post

The Bock nib is really a nice looking thing and goes well with the Dia2.
    We trust you and all that, but a showcase photo would be appreciated by all, I'm sure of it.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (April 27th, 2021), FredRydr (April 26th, 2021), penwash (April 26th, 2021)

Thanks

I think that I just swapped the nib and feed and left the collar in the section when I put the larger nib in the pen.

Visit Main Street Pens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

vdiantonio (May 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    I think that I just swapped the nib and feed and left the collar in the section when I put the larger nib in the pen.
    Ah, that might do the trick as far as the converter issue. I unscrewed the Kawco unit and replaced with the Bock. There must be a subtle difference in the Bock collar versus the stock Kaweco, but visually, it's not obvious to me. The silver converter wanted to just fall out with the Bock, whereas the grey worked.

Anyway, the unit fits well enough in the pen and was a very good suggestion. I like the way it rounds out the pen's dimensions, and the Bock nib is pretty smooth. I'll give it a week's worth of office work and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; April 26th, 2021 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks

I like the way it rounds out the pen's dimensions.
    Funny how such a small change in one part can make a big difference in the feel of a pen.

Visit Main Street Pens

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (April 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Oh wow...much nicer than I expected from Kaweco.
    May have to get a few of these for friends as gifts while they last!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I couldn't find the deal and I am wondering if someone mislabeled a lot of Student pens as they look somewhat similar.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I like it. What's the net cost of pen plus new nib?