Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FP Held Hostage? Seeking Advice on Repairperson No Longer Responding

Thanks

Angry FP Held Hostage? Seeking Advice on Repairperson No Longer Responding

Greetings, Fellow FP Geeks!

I am new to this site, having only recently discovered it. I have been on The Fountain Pen Network for many years.

I need your help!

I sent my FP to a known repairperson/shop to have a new filling mechanism put in. This was around December 2019. The pen was received. The repairperson then said they were having trouble getting parts, then trouble getting the front section off (valid, given previous experience with said section). Back in August, I said I would just happily take the pen back, as I was getting worried it was out of my possession for so long. You know how that is.

After August of this year (I believe) the repair person stopped responding to any communication and still has my pen! I have read one blog post online of another FP user who had a similar GWP (Ghosting With Pen) experience with this person.

I know the name of the company and now the person, but am not sure how to go about just getting my pen back!

The repairperson mentioned falling on financial hard times, so I said he could just keep what I had paid for the restoration (to help in an act of charity), but to just mail me back my pen.

I would love some advice on what I could do to get my pen back. I have the full text exchange with this person to support my view of this situation.

Thank you in advance for any direction this community could provide.

~ DayOnFire (Michael)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: FP Held Hostage? Seeking Advice on Repairperson No Longer Responding

To "provide direction" a couple of the first things members of the community might need to know is whereabouts in the world you are from and whether your repair person is in the same part of the world as you are.

As an example: if you happened to be within the UK I would advise that you send your repair person a letter by Royal Mail Special Delivery guaranteed mail giving him 14 days to return your pen back to you or you would start a claim against him for it in the small claims court.

The recommended advice in the US could be different.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 31st, 2020 at 02:39 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DayOnFire (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: FP Held Hostage? Seeking Advice on Repairperson No Longer Responding

Have you asked on FPN, too? And what is the pen worth? Proceedings can cost money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DayOnFire View Post
    I would love some advice on what I could do to get my pen back. I have the full text exchange with this person to support my view of this situation.
    The name of the repairer would be helpful. There are people here that may have alternate methods of contacting them and mediating a resolution.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

DayOnFire (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

I sadly had a similar experience with a repairer about 15 years ago, and never recovered my beautiful Waterman Lady Patrician. The guy had been highly respected, but things went awry in his life. His wife had the sad job of intervening and trying to set things right for the dozens of customers who’d sent him pens. My pen was never recovered. The situation was too sad for me to think about legal proceedings.

Thanks

Thank you for the quick responses!

I am in Minnesota, USA.

The name of the repairer is Write On Time West, on the West Coast. The name of the person I messaged back and forth with is Ray.

Thanks

Last I checked FPN was still having server issues or some such? Maybe I should try again.

Thanks

The name of the repairer is Write On Time West, on the West Coast. The name of the person I messaged back and forth with is Ray.
    Ray C? I seem to recall a thread or threads about them here over the last year or so. Your experience with them is, sadly, not unique.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Ray C? I seem to recall a thread or threads about them here over the last year or so. Your experience with them is, sadly, not unique.

From what I have seen elsewhere, yes, Ray C. I have no wish to slander him. I only know that he has my pen and is not responding to any of my messages, on FB or Instagram. I just want my pen back.

Thanks

So, my question is why was this person used? I ofetn see a person named Ron mentkoned and he/she posts here. Why were this person not used???

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    So, my question is why was this person used? I ofetn see a person named Ron mentkoned and he/she posts here. Why were this person not used???
    There are many reasons people choose different repair people. Ron Zorn is at the top of the list, certainly in the US, in terms of reputation, length of years and experience in the trade, excellent results and communication. Ron also has, certainly at times, a long waiting queue. I would have no hesitation sending work to Ron, and in fact have a pen waiting to send to him for some delicate repairs only he would likely be able to do. This does not mean that I would suggest everyone send a basic sac replacement to him, as there are many other people who could do that repair, and likely do it in less time.

That is just one example. There are many, many reasons to work with different repair people, including one that I sometimes use for my decisions: simply wanting to send a pen to someone because I like them. I could easily send to Person A, but I haven't had Person B work on a pen in a while, so there I go.

Many reasons.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

It seems that Write On Time - West is part of Write On Time. You might try contacting the parent (home) office.

I don't have FaceBook and apologize in advance for proving these links but they were the only contact info Google could find. I recalled hearing of Write On Time previously in reference to an unbelievable celluloid repair. Interesting that neither Chapter has a dedicated website.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I don't have FaceBook...
    I do and I used to see him posting often, esp in fp circles. I just took a look and his last public post was June 24 of last year. Wishing the OP best of luck in this.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

...it's the basic repairs that allow us to do the more difficult ones. Tough repairs sometimes take a lot of time, which means a lot of time before we get paid. The simpler ones help to bring balance to your work, and bank account.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 1st, 2021), damfino (April 9th, 2021), Dreck (January 2nd, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 1st, 2021), Ole Juul (January 1st, 2021), Stands on Feet (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    ...it's the basic repairs that allow us to do the more difficult ones. Tough repairs sometimes take a lot of time, which means a lot of time before we get paid. The simpler ones help to bring balance to your work, and bank account.
    A good point for someone like me to remember. It's easy for a lay person to think "god, they must hate having to spend time putting a sac in this Estie". I'll likely include one or two other things besides that 1st gen Tuckaway for you to look at. I do want to make it worth your while!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

This comment is NOT meant to reference Mr. Zorn who does, indeed, make many valuable posts here. What follows is a generic comment and is meant to convey a more general concept than a specifically directed, personal reference. Anybody who connects what I am about to say with Mr. Zorn does so knowing it is absolutely not my intent.

Ok...........

There is an old saying "Those who can do, do. Those who can't do teach." Over the course of my lifetime I have experienced this many times...often the best craftsmen, providers and other professionals etc. are not the ones who publically promote themselves via infomercials, "how-to" posts, etc. The true masters are the ones who just quietly go along "doing their thing" relying on word of mouth from satisfied customers, clients and patients. Many of them never post anything, anywhere. They're too busy!!

There are many superb nibmeisters and pen repair persons. And, among them there is often areas of expertise and specialization. They are also some real bumblers. Some of whom actually have ill deserved reputations for being good at what they do.

If you have a pen which needs work, I recommend you find someone here or on FPN who posts a lot about that type of pen. Not a repair person but a collector. Then reach out to them (ideally, a couple of them) via private message and ask them for a recommendation.

Thanks

You lost all credibility with the “those who can’t, teach” rubbish. Unless you’d like to rephrase that, of course.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (January 2nd, 2021), guyy (January 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    You lost all credibility with the “those who can’t, teach” rubbish. Unless you’d like to rephrase that, of course.
    It's a widely employed quote, not one I made up.

And, it just so happens it is consistent with much of what I have experienced in my life. If you have not experienced something similar it does not mean that I have not...........

If the result is I have now lost all credibility, so be it. It puts me in some good company.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    It's a widely employed quote, not one I made up.
    Uh, yeah, I'm well aware of this common quote, usually phrased a bit differently.

And, it just so happens it is consistent with much of what I have experienced in my life. If you have not experienced something similar it does not mean that I have not...........
    That's fine. It means you haven't come across many - or any - of the remarkable teachers in this world. Using that phrase seeks to elevate one class of people while denigrating others, and yet there are countless millions of people who owe their success in life due to the guidance, skill and wisdom of one or more teachers.

If the result is I have now lost all credibility, so be it. It puts me in some good company.
    Enjoy yourself and your company. BTW, who would you recommend for doing work on Sheaffer vac-fill pens?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

To DayOnFire / Michael - check your PMs.

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

DayOnFire (January 2nd, 2021)