Thread: Sheaffer Repair center

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Default Sheaffer Repair center

I was noodling around through some pictures on my computer and ran across this picture. Richard Binder and I were invited to visit the Sheaffer repair center in the old factory before it closed in Feb. 2008. We got to spend time poking into all kinds of things in the repair center, saw the nib center, and parts of the old factory. Most of it was empty and the power off, but what we saw was really cool. A month later it was closed, with a lot of parts sent to the distributor in Philadelphia, which was the service center for about 6 months. We helped them unpack and sort the stuff that was sent.

The whole experience was cool, and quite the eye opener. It was great to have time to talk to the repair people and fill in blanks in our knowledge about how the pens were made and repaired. WE were repairing the Sheaffer plunger fillers, and one person who had worked there for 28 years had never repaired one. I came away with a Persimmon orange Prelude, and one of the Chased Connaisseurs - picked the pen, picked the nib off of the shelves. We were able to meet the engineers, and I was able to call them with any questions I had until the company was sold to Cross.

This is a picture of Richard and I, sitting in the fountain pen repair station....

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

although (January 2nd, 2021), catbert (January 3rd, 2021), Chrissy (January 1st, 2021), CrayonAngelss (January 1st, 2021), da vinci (January 2nd, 2021), Dreck (January 4th, 2021), eachan (January 2nd, 2021), es9 (January 3rd, 2021), FredRydr (January 1st, 2021), jar (January 2nd, 2021), Jon Szanto (January 3rd, 2021), Ole Juul (January 1st, 2021), pajaro (January 1st, 2021), penwash (January 3rd, 2021), Pterodactylus (January 3rd, 2021), Stands on Feet (January 2nd, 2021), Yazeh (January 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Repair center

You haven't changed a bit! Well...maybe a little.

Thanks

That is insanely cool. I am beyond jealous. One of the neatest things (or so I think) about fountain pens -- especially vintage ones -- is the labor and ingenuity that goes into making them and keeping them running. To be sure, I enjoy writing with almost any FP more than even fantastic and well-designed non-FPs (I'm looking at you, Baron Fig Squire). But the sheer creativity and brilliance required to imagine something like the snorkel in the early 50s, and the unreal level of skill and knowledge to keep them running for decades, inspires humility and awe. And to be able to see where it happens and meet the people who posses that knowledge... well, that is something else.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I'm so envious too.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I'm sure I'm not the only one grateful that you, and a lot of other people in the pen community, took the time to visit before it all went away. You, Richard, a handful of others, are the vessels that retain so much information and history. Thanks for sharing this story.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I am grateful to you that you made your knowledge available. I have learned some valuable things from you like to not use red ink in sac pens, among others.

Thanks

That's really cool, Ron. What a great opportunity! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of it -- and that we get to benefit from it through what you learned.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.