Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: With the Washington Post's history of lying, why do people still read it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

vdiantonio (July 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: With the Washington Post's history of lying, why do people still read it?

The Post is an example of how you can inadvertently manufacture great satire and passable toilet tissue.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; January 4th, 2021 at 08:00 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: With the Washington Post's history of lying, why do people still read it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    The Post is an example you can inadvertently manufacture great satire and passable toilet tissue.
    The Babylon Bee is some of the best and most clever satire on the web today. They’ve had to create a “Not The Bee” portion where they just post actual articles (from both left and right sources). The hypocrisy and contradiction in the unaltered piece can’t be improved upon by satirists. That’s hilarious and deeply concerning at the same time.

Thanks

Here’s how ridiculous the Democrats are in their pandering to the SJW’s. A perfect “Not The Bee” article I’m sure they’ll pick up on.

'Amen and a-woman': House opening prayer goes gender-inclusive

amen (interj.)
    Old English, from Late Latin amen, from Ecclesiastical Greek amen, from Hebrew amen "truth," used adverbially as an expression of agreement (as in Deuteronomy xxvii.26, I Kings i.36), from Semitic root a-m-n "to be trustworthy, confirm, support."

-edit-

That didn’t take long.

Dems opened the 117th Congress today with a prayer that ended "amen, and awoman." You know, to be gender neutral. Because we live in an episode of The Office.
    Last edited by dneal; January 4th, 2021 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks

This is the darkness democracy dies in.

Comey. Hero or villian. Inquiring minds want to know...

Comey.jpg

Well, which is it?

Hillary.jpg

Cutting edge journalism from the WashPost...

Steak.jpg

I'm sure this is just a case of "whataboutism"...

Syria.jpg

And remember this doozey? Three versions due to the outrage, and thousands of delicious memes ranging from Hitler to Dracula.

Baghdadi.jpg

Thanks

I’ve enjoyed reading the Post and only wish they had a $4 per month like the NYT .

When I think of biased news, Fox comes to mind as does Rush Limbaugh, both of which I listened to for several years. Rush’s book, The Way Things Ought to Be” sounded spot on during the ‘90’s. Later, realized these guys were not serious journalists or people trying to make the US a better place to live.

Think about it, why didn’t Rush ever run for office? It’s much easier to be the Monday morning quarterback, than suit up.

Thanks

It's really hard to find an outlet that isn't biased one way or another. The best we can seem to do is identify the ones that are center left or right, but they seem to be drifting too.

Rush is biased, but he doesn't claim otherwise. His show was always his opinion. I'm fine with opinion pieces.

The problem is when opinion masquerades as journalism. It's easy to spot, usually by adjectives or characterization of facts. Sometimes it's omission of opposing facts. The danger is that the media crafts their "news/journalism" to advance a political agenda. It appears to be worse on the left than the right, probably due to a more robust "power couple" environment, or maybe they just don't hide it as well.

Ben Rhodes - Obama's assistant to the president and deputy national security advisor for strategic communications and speechwriting - is the brother to David Rhodes who was the CBS news president. Ann Norris, wife of David Rhodes, former chief foreign policy advisor to Barbara Boxer and deputy assistant secretary to SecState John Kerry

Ben Sherwood - Former president of ABC News sister is Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall, who was a top national energy and security advisor to Obama.

Jay Carney - WH press secretary under Obama was married to Clair Shipman of ABC

Virginia Moseley - Washington bureau chief of CNN married to Tom Nides, dep SecState for management and resources under Hillary.

Ian Cameron - former ABC News exec producer was married to Susan Rice

Ari Shapiro - NPR's whitehouse correspondent is married to Michael Gottlieb of Obama's office of white house counsel

Sari Horwitz - WashPost Justice Dept reporter is married to William Schultz who served as Obama's counsel in Health and Human Services

None of this should be any revelation. Wikileaks outed John Podesta coordinating with Politico (Glenn Thrush) and WashPost (Dana Milbank) to align with Hillary's talking points. CNBC correspondent and NYT contributor John Harwood was found to be serving as both reporter and advisor to Clinton (through Donna Brazile). And Donna Brazile... DNC head and CNN analyst, suprisingly passed town hall questions to Hillary.

The Washington Post remains a propaganda outlet. Pointing out that there are others of similar or different political bents, doesn't change that.

Thanks

The litmus test is to ask yourself if you would think the same if they were writing posts with which you agreed. Over the years I have read broadly and can tell when objectivity flies out the door, however that does not mean what is being said is without merit.

With Trump, I have his business history and direct quotes (no journalists required). When you listen to him speaking of grabbing females by their privates, disparaging John McCain or the Gold Star family, no further commentary is required.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 7th, 2021), Morgaine (January 8th, 2021)

Thanks

I've said many times that I don't get my news from sources that exhibit bias, left or right.

I appear to be right-leaning here because there are no actual Trump supporters here to argue with.

I'm able to separate personality from performance. For the umpteenth time, Trump is an obnoxious ass. That was a known quantity before his first campaign. His supporters took that into account, and decided it wasn't as important as what he said he was going to do. He delivered a great deal. I like his economic policy. I'm ok with his foreign policy in most cases. I don't like his spending.

I don't mind his combative nature, although I wish he would be more selective in his "counterpunching". One article I read described him well as something like a drunk boxer swinging wildly. I like the disruption he's brought to the media and politics. Liberal media and politicians have lost their minds, and revealed themselves for what they are. RINO's, or "never Trumpers" have too. I think the shake up was good for the system, and I delight in the schadenfreude.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I've said many times that I don't get my news from sources that exhibit bias, left or right.

I appear to be right-leaning here because there are no actual Trump supporters here to argue with.

I'm able to separate personality from performance. For the umpteenth time, Trump is an obnoxious ass. That was a known quantity before his first campaign. His supporters took that into account, and decided it wasn't as important as what he said he was going to do. He delivered a great deal. I like his economic policy. I'm ok with his foreign policy in most cases. I don't like his spending.

I don't mind his combative nature, although I wish he would be more selective in his "counterpunching". One article I read described him well as something like a drunk boxer swinging wildly. I like the disruption he's brought to the media and politics. Liberal media and politicians have lost their minds, and revealed themselves for what they are. RINO's, or "never Trumpers" have too. I think the shake up was good for the system, and I delight in the schadenfreude.
    What news sources do you read? I would be interested in knowing.

I am speaking of performance, what he has done and said. Perhaps it is time to consider that the man failed to produce a health care bill, passed a tax bill that didn't make working people better off, and lied to the American public of the seriousness of COVID-19, and made wearing a mask political.

The problem with disruption is that the infrastructure needed during a time of a pandemic is ineffective or non existance. Disruption sounds good until it isn't. This administration has explained well why you need government to function. Just because you were a business success, does not mean you can lead. Business success can stem from inheritance, being at the right place at the right time, and just plain old dumb luck. It does not mean you can lead. This also has been on full display.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    What news sources do you read? I would be interested in knowing.
    It has become more difficult since Trump was elected. I would first look at assimilations of reports, like the DOD Early Bird. Depending on the topic, and how interested I was in it, I would read the linked article. If I judged it biased or incomplete, I'd look for the counter point. As long as you remembered it had a right-leaning bent, Drudge was actually pretty comprehensive as a starting point; although it's not anymore. Apple News was decent. You could select "politics", "Fox" and "CNN" for example, and get articles from each in order to compare viewpoints. I used to end up on everything from BBC to Al Jazeera to Hareetz, in addition to the "standards" like the WashPost, NYT, NY Post and Wall Street Journal.

Trump broke the media. Left-leaning outlets are virulent in their anti-Trump rhetoric, as are "old school" right-leaning outlets (think George Will, for example). Pro-Trump right-leaning outlets are broken too. Fox, Newsmax, etc... What's interesting to me is how many even farther right-leaning outlets are popping up - and it's also concerning.

So now I'm kind of left without a "one-stop shop" for a reasonable news source. I am trying a mail-service called "The Factual", that sends top headlines each morning and rates the sources (leans left, leans right, etc...). The problem remains that the outlets are now so biased that you can rarely get an objective story. Being retired, I now have more time and I have begun to listen to podcasts or YouTube videos of reasonable people discussing topics in the news.

I am speaking of performance, what he has done and said. Perhaps it is time to consider that the man failed to produce a health care bill, passed a tax bill that didn't make working people better off, and lied to the American public of the seriousness of COVID-19, and made wearing a mask political.

The problem with disruption is that the infrastructure needed during a time of a pandemic is ineffective or non existance. Disruption sounds good until it isn't. This administration has explained well why you need government to function. Just because you were a business success, does not mean you can lead. Business success can stem from inheritance, being at the right place at the right time, and just plain old dumb luck. It does not mean you can lead. This also has been on full display.
    I agree that he didn't submit a health-care bill, but I was actually somewhat happy about that. Honestly though, that sort of thing never comes from the office of the President - and it shouldn't. That's why there is a legislative branch. I doubt anything would have made it out of committee to a vote, with each party desperately trying to hold on to power. Even if they did produce something, it would have been as bad as Obamacare - more focused on catering to special interests than anything.

I thought the tax bill did make working people better off, but that's mainly in dropping the corporate tax. Investment increased, which led to job growth and stock market gains. Trump's economic policy is hard to argue against. If you're a 40-something middle class American, you were relieved if not overjoyed at the status of your 401k. That whole topic is a complex issue, and a lot of it centers on "corporate America". Lobbyists buying politicians, globalists outsourcing labor (which cost American jobs and wage growth), etc...

The American economy was always Trump's issue. He has been commenting that he thought we were getting screwed for 30-40 years now. Sometimes I think he views himself as the CEO of America (and I think his narcissistic tendencies play in that). No doubt he sweet-talked, bullied, litigated and probably cheated his way to the financial success Trump Intl. has; and we see the same in his interactions with other countries. He wanted to make America, LLC "profitable". Time will tell if the renegotiated NAFTA is worthwhile. China is not only not our friend, it is a significant threat. Trump attacked that head on (and I think that's why Mattis was initially with him).

I can't imagine interacting with Trump on a daily basis, given his personality. I suspect he listens more than he's given credit for, and I think his naivety was in thinking the bureaucracy would be on board with his way-ahead. In corporate America, there's petty intrigue and back-stabbing to get a promotion; but none of that is at the expense of the corporation. In bureaucratic America, the bureaucracy (and one's position in it) has primacy. The various departments and agencies have no interest in anything but their own self-licking ice cream cones. But there's way too much to talk about there...

Trump had too many apple-carts he would have to upset in order to really get anything done. Each of those apple-carts fought change tooth and nail (sorry, the metaphors are getting out of hand...). Trump dominated in some cases, and was beaten back in others. He is horribly inarticulate, and the media leverages that to paint him in the worst light possible. He bungled the messaging on COVID, but he got a lot of the actions right. Shutting down travel early was a good move, and everyone mocked him for it. No one but the orange bully (I think) could have got a vaccine to market in the speed he did. He was lambasted for handing off the distribution to General Perna. As a 30-year Army logistician and someone very familiar with Gus and Army Material Command, Trump was actually right in that course of action.

This response is getting way too long, and the topics are too complex to treat comprehensively. If you would like to pick some specific ones, and perhaps dedicate each to its own thread; I'd be happy to go more in depth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

It has become more difficult since Trump was elected. I would first look at assimilations of reports, like the DOD Early Bird. Depending on the topic, and how interested I was in it, I would read the linked article. If I judged it biased or incomplete, I'd look for the counter point. As long as you remembered it had a right-leaning bent, Drudge was actually pretty comprehensive as a starting point; although it's not anymore. Apple News was decent. You could select "politics", "Fox" and "CNN" for example, and get articles from each in order to compare viewpoints. I used to end up on everything from BBC to Al Jazeera to Hareetz, in addition to the "standards" like the WashPost, NYT, NY Post and Wall Street Journal.

Trump broke the media. Left-leaning outlets are virulent in their anti-Trump rhetoric, as are "old school" right-leaning outlets (think George Will, for example). Pro-Trump right-leaning outlets are broken too. Fox, Newsmax, etc... What's interesting to me is how many even farther right-leaning outlets are popping up - and it's also concerning.

So now I'm kind of left without a "one-stop shop" for a reasonable news source. I am trying a mail-service called "The Factual", that sends top headlines each morning and rates the sources (leans left, leans right, etc...). The problem remains that the outlets are now so biased that you can rarely get an objective story. Being retired, I now have more time and I have begun to listen to podcasts or YouTube videos of reasonable people discussing topics in the news.

I agree that he didn't submit a health-care bill, but I was actually somewhat happy about that. Honestly though, that sort of thing never comes from the office of the President - and it shouldn't. That's why there is a legislative branch. I doubt anything would have made it out of committee to a vote, with each party desperately trying to hold on to power. Even if they did produce something, it would have been as bad as Obamacare - more focused on catering to special interests than anything.

I thought the tax bill did make working people better off, but that's mainly in dropping the corporate tax. Investment increased, which led to job growth and stock market gains. Trump's economic policy is hard to argue against. If you're a 40-something middle class American, you were relieved if not overjoyed at the status of your 401k. That whole topic is a complex issue, and a lot of it centers on "corporate America". Lobbyists buying politicians, globalists outsourcing labor (which cost American jobs and wage growth), etc...

The American economy was always Trump's issue. He has been commenting that he thought we were getting screwed for 30-40 years now. Sometimes I think he views himself as the CEO of America (and I think his narcissistic tendencies play in that). No doubt he sweet-talked, bullied, litigated and probably cheated his way to the financial success Trump Intl. has; and we see the same in his interactions with other countries. He wanted to make America, LLC "profitable". Time will tell if the renegotiated NAFTA is worthwhile. China is not only not our friend, it is a significant threat. Trump attacked that head on (and I think that's why Mattis was initially with him).

I can't imagine interacting with Trump on a daily basis, given his personality. I suspect he listens more than he's given credit for, and I think his naivety was in thinking the bureaucracy would be on board with his way-ahead. In corporate America, there's petty intrigue and back-stabbing to get a promotion; but none of that is at the expense of the corporation. In bureaucratic America, the bureaucracy (and one's position in it) has primacy. The various departments and agencies have no interest in anything but their own self-licking ice cream cones. But there's way too much to talk about there...

Trump had too many apple-carts he would have to upset in order to really get anything done. Each of those apple-carts fought change tooth and nail (sorry, the metaphors are getting out of hand...). Trump dominated in some cases, and was beaten back in others. He is horribly inarticulate, and the media leverages that to paint him in the worst light possible. He bungled the messaging on COVID, but he got a lot of the actions right. Shutting down travel early was a good move, and everyone mocked him for it. No one but the orange bully (I think) could have got a vaccine to market in the speed he did. He was lambasted for handing off the distribution to General Perna. As a 30-year Army logistician and someone very familiar with Gus and Army Material Command, Trump was actually right in that course of action.

This response is getting way too long, and the topics are too complex to treat comprehensively. If you would like to pick some specific ones, and perhaps dedicate each to its own thread; I'd be happy to go more in depth.
    You said you look at performance and I demonstrated he has not performed in some key areas where he said he would. He had McConnell and the Senate in lock step. Those should be a clear path to political glory.

The fact is, he was never interested in governing. He never did the work of policy development. I am providing you with issues that are readily available to anyone willing to study and know. There is nothing conservative or liberal here. This is straight forward and factual.

Trump was interested in playing to his base. It was easy to know what he was going to do. Give them the Supreme Court, death penalty, pardons, a corporate tax break, or tell them if he lost it's because he was cheated.

Thanks

I agree that he failed in several areas. He never got his wall (although he got more than Dems claim). McConnell is much more clever than you give him credit for. There's a documentary tracing newly elected Sen McConnell from the Bork proceeding to the ACB confirmation. He's very politically astute, and why he has abandoned Trump in the electoral challenges.

I don't think Trump had any idea of the enormity of the job of the President, and he wasn't ready for the politics of it. I suspect his experience negotiating New York politics and paying off politicians - uh, I mean contributing to politician's campaigns - made him believe it would be no different in Washington. I think he was interested in governing, I just don't think he knew what that meant.

I think Trump knew the value of playing to his base. I think he knew clearly what he thought tax policy should be (whether anyone agrees with it or not). I don't think he had the slightest clue on who to pick for a SC justice. He listened to Federalist Society people and went with what they convinced them of. As an aside, look at Scott Adams' analysis of Trump and why he says what he says. It's insightful.

--edit--

Here's the documentary It's a Frontline (PBS) documentary titled "Supreme Revenge".
    Last edited by dneal; January 6th, 2021 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks

He failed supremely. I've often imagined what it would be like to manage a project and have at my disposal the intellectual wealth of the United States. What I consider Biden's Corona task force, it is a whos who among our science and medical experts.

Trump probably didn't really think it, but he attemtped to project himself as the smartest person in the room. A true leader manages talent. They don't need the glory and love it when others get the attention.

Trump thought he could put talented academics on the Supreme Court and that they would be in his pocket. This shows he is woefully ignorant. As on pundit notices, he is unlettered. He is unfamiliar with history. He is unfamilar with how things work for moral people.

If you want or need him as a role model, I will respect you enough not to attempt to change your opinion. I choose others, like a John McCain.

Thanks

If you want or need him as a role model, I will respect you enough not to attempt to change your opinion.
    C'mon Chuck. You seem to be a smart guy and I think we could have some reasonable discussion. I never said anything like what you are insinuating. That was unnecessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Never really understood why supporters refer to Trump as a counterpuncher when all he ever seems to do is meet argument with insult. That is not counterpunching.

Thanks

Fair point. I don't know either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Never really understood why supporters refer to Trump as a counterpuncher when all he ever seems to do is meet argument with insult. That is not counterpunching.
    True and that is exacly what we usually see from this supporters.

Thanks

dneal is posting trumpist dictatorial garbage. Take a look at how Trumpist stormtroopers attacked journalists during the attempted takeover of the Capitol:\

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media...their-ire-him/

As an angry crowd of Trump supporters surged toward police barriers at the Capitol on Wednesday, Associated Press photographer John Minchillo was there documenting the chaotic scene.

Suddenly, their ire turned to him. Several men grabbed Minchillo by his backpack, pulling him down a flight of stairs. Others grasped the lanyard that identified him as media, dragging him through the throngs that wove flags reading “Don’t Tread on Me” and “TRUMP 2020." “We’ll f------ kill you!” someone yelled. Then a man shoved him over a ledge.

The crowd, including some calling the photographer “antifa,” only stopped when a man wearing a red Trump hat pushed them back, retrieving his camera and telling them Minchillo was press.

Filmed and posted on social media by AP photographer Julio Cortez, the attack was among several instances of violence against journalists covering the deadly takeover of the Capitol.

AD

Throughout the Wednesday assault, there were signs of rage directed at journalists.

“MURDER THE MEDIA,” someone carved into a door. Protesters screamed “Get out of here!” while advancing on journalists who then abandoned their camera equipment. The crowd moved in and smashed it, according to footage published online by a Bloomberg reporter.

The U.S. Press Freedom Tracker said it was monitoring at least nine reports of assaults, five reports of arrests or detainments and multiple reports of equipment damage, threats and harassment in connection with the disturbances.

Thanks

You're becoming more and more unhinged. You would think that Trump losing an election would help calm your TDS. It only seems to be worse.

But let's play your game. Let me know if you want videos. There's much, much more from a variety of deranged libs. Exhibit A:

IMG_0026.JPG

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

vdiantonio (July 30th, 2021)