Thread: OFF TOPIC: Ballpoint Pens Question

Thanks

Default OFF TOPIC: Ballpoint Pens Question

Back in 1975/1977 give or take, and 1985 to 1988, I had some Zebra brand F301 and F701 ballpoint pens, while in college. I thought they were "good" pens; not the "greatest" (I doubt they could hold a candle or flashlight to a Mont Blanc, based on their reputation, and 3 figure price for a "basic" not precious metal model, for example) but good. Much better than a "BIC CLICK", at any rate.

Are the Zebra F701 and F301 pens still any good, and worth buying?

While not often, I do have to fill-out forms in duplicate and triplicate. Obviously, my fountain pen isn't precisely ... ummm ... "suitable" ... for such.

I detest stick pens, no matter who made them.

Any other affordable under $7 to $10 each ballpoint pens I should consider?

Thankee.

Thanks

Default Re: OFF TOPIC: Ballpoint Pens Question

Pilot G2 rollerballs are nice, and refillible. The Schneider slider, Pentel Energel, Uni Jet Stream and Caran D;'ache 888 are rather good.

I use them when I have a tonne of marking to do, with crappy paper.

The Parker Jotter or Vector are still a good stalwarts, and there are steel editions out now, which make them more durable than the plastic ones. Bit more than your budget, but will last for years.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

If you haven't checked it out, I would browse over at The Pen Addict site. Brad has takes on fountain pens, but he also has deep info and recommendations on all other writing instruments: ballpoint, gel, roller, pencil, etc. I know he has a few Top 5 (or 10) lists that break down to categories and he is thorough in his testing.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Zebra f701's are still in my leaving the house pen rotation. They can be had for $6 and I just pop in my preferred fisher space pen refills. I live at a particularly high altitude and fisher space pen refills are pressurized and they just work for me (after having a great many total blowouts in my pocket..). They also come with a parker style adapter so they fit in most of my other ball points. Such as my new Rotring and Stilform family I got for Christmas.

Last edited by digitalsedition; January 4th, 2021 at 09:01 PM.
    Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Old Guy View Post
    Back in 1975/1977 give or take, and 1985 to 1988, I had some Zebra brand F301 and F701 ballpoint pens, while in college. I thought they were "good" pens; not the "greatest" (I doubt they could hold a candle or flashlight to a Mont Blanc, based on their reputation, and 3 figure price for a "basic" not precious metal model, for example) but good. Much better than a "BIC CLICK", at any rate.

While not often, I do have to fill-out forms in duplicate and triplicate. Obviously, my fountain pen isn't precisely ... ummm ... "suitable" ... for such.

Thankee.
    I have enjoyed hunting down old Parker 45 and Jotter (brass threads) using the newer gel refills or more recently OHTO Flash Dry .5mm. THis is the closest vintage alternative to my favorite Pilot Precise V5.

I do still like Zebra which were always available at truck stops when I bought my diesel fuel for the Peugeot in the mid 1980's.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; January 5th, 2021 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks

I have two pens for your consideration, Xiaomi Mijia pen is cheap, takes the Parker Jotter style refills and has a good diameter for comfortable writing. Only downsides are its a bit weighty to put in a shirt pocket and the metal body is really smooth in case you prefer something more grippy. You can still pick them up online in places.

Other than that I would agree on the Caran d'Ache 888

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Just slightly above your price range, I like the Uni Jetstream Alpha Gel. Nonaffiliated link: https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Jetstrea...k-Body/pd/2775
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

{{{sigh}}}
    went ahead and ordered the Zebra 701 stainless steel pen and pencil set, (call it "$12") and a click cap(?) ("only" $17 and change) raw brass Fisher Space Pen.
    President Donny sent me some funds without my asking, so why not?

Thanks

For that purpose, I'd look at the Parker Jotter with a gel refill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    That is a possibility, or a Jotter + some (black) gel and ink refills that'll fit.
    Seems Parker Pens is infatuated with blue ink for some odd/strange reason. Difficult to find them with standard business/professional black ink. I haven't used amateur/granny doodling's won't show in a Xerox copy blue ink since at least 4th or 5th grade, back in the infamous turbulent micro mini skirt and thong infested1960's.

Is the Parker Jotter fountain pen decent, or a "scraping the bottom of the barrel P.O.C."?

If a fountain pen piston adapter fits a pen that uses full size "international standard" ink cartridges, will that adapter fit any fountain pen that uses the same size ink cartridges?

Thanks

I have a couple of advertising Parker rollerball pens, they are nice, Quink refills. I don't know how much a new Parker rollerball cost, but the refill isn't too bad. I think all the larger brans have a version of these, like the mentioned Pilot Gel-roller, Faber-Castell ceramic rollerball, etc. I have discovered a few of my advertising pens have Schmidt refills, rolleball cartridge with good ink, but I have never seen them sold under their official name. These tend to write well on any paper, give a very even line, last a long time. They all have wetter inks (I assume your Zebra pen has too) than the basic ball point, and I like these brands can recommend them. Ballpoints have stickier inks, are water proof, but can skip on some types of paper. They have their advantages and I guess the better brands have nicer ballpoints with the stickier ink too. Now and then I get one that blots a bit, stop writing, acts up on with cheap notepaper (skip or stop writing all together), etc...

Thanks

I like Parker ballpoint pens with some brand of refill in broad. Broad refills write with less effort. Usually I have only found broad ballpoint refills in blue or black.

Thanks

Thankee.
    Papermate-Bic...................stick pens in the Sherpa is not that bad to write with- https://sherpapencovers.com/collecti...int-pen-covers. Bic has a 1.6 that inserted in a Sherpa Ballpoint cover is really decent.

They also have a Parker-Montblanc refill adapter that works real nice in their Sharpie Pen Covers I like as well................https://sherpapencovers.com/collecti...rpa-pen-covers

Really like Karas Kustom pens as well where in their EDK's, Bolts, Roller Balls you can either use a Pilot G2, etc. or use a Parker refill with their adapters. They are a little pricy, however more affordable when offered with a discount. I really enjoy Monte Verde's extra bold in blue/black as well.

I have collected ballpoints along with FP's, MP's over the years, but am really enjoying some of the UNI, OHTO, Zebra, Pilot, etc. ballpoints and quick drying gels that come in 0.28 up to 1.6 offered by https://www.jetpens.com. My son bought me a grail MB Ballpoint from Montc Blanc a few years ago that I would have spent on myself and I must say it is quite a grail BP. There is also a reason why their refills are pricy..............smooth, consistent and last forever with a decent palette of colors.

Jet Pens..........great selection, customer service, shipping, etc. They have the best ballpoint refill selection in my book. If you are unsure of what you exactly want grab one of their Sampler's with various pens in pretty much any color you want?

For what its worth I never leave the house without a vintage, brass threads..........Parker Jotter usually with one of Schmidt's refills

I write quite a bit using my FP's (vintage, modern, etc.) ballpoint, gel-rollerball and love my vintage mechanical pencils with soft 1.1 lead

Hope this helps
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    That is a possibility, or a Jotter + some (black) gel and ink refills that'll fit.
    Seems Parker Pens is infatuated with blue ink for some odd/strange reason. Difficult to find them with standard business/professional black ink. I haven't used amateur/granny doodling's won't show in a Xerox copy blue ink since at least 4th or 5th grade, back in the infamous turbulent micro mini skirt and thong infested1960's.

Is the Parker Jotter fountain pen decent, or a "scraping the bottom of the barrel P.O.C."?

If a fountain pen piston adapter fits a pen that uses full size "international standard" ink cartridges, will that adapter fit any fountain pen that uses the same size ink cartridges?
    I purchased a few Parker gel refills and I did not like them. Maybe it was the batch but both stopped working really soon after opening the package. I used them in my Ti Arto by BigiDesign and they were very inconsistent. The Alpha Gel refills are much better and I will use those or Schmidt EZ Flow 9000 refils any day over the Parkers.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

@wingwiper, Thank you for that link.

The Zebra 701 Pen and Pencil set and Fisher Space Pen arrived today.
    I wonder how long it gonna take for the "raw brass" Fisher to patina, like on my Buck 110's and Old Timer 6OT and 7OT.

Thanks

@wingwiper, Thank you for that link.

The Zebra 701 Pen and Pencil set and Fisher Space Pen arrived today.
    I wonder how long it gonna take for the "raw brass" Fisher to patina, like on my Buck 110's and Old Timer 6OT and 7OT.
    I snagged a raw brass fisher bullet that amazon says weighs 400g I should get it soon. How long did your raw brass take to patina for you?
    Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637