Thread: Pelikan nib units in other pen bodies??

Thanks

Default Pelikan nib units in other pen bodies??

So I have just about every major brand represented in my FP arsenal except Pelikan. I had a nice vintage one a few years ago I got from a guy on that other FP forum (you know the one). However, it seemed to have grown legs. So I知 wanting to get another one, but I also have the opportunity to buy an M400 or an M600 nib unit for a fair price. I知 wondering if these will fit into any other pen bodies or are the proprietary.
    Anyone have any Frankenstein pens with a pelikan nib unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Default Re: Pelikan nib units in other pen bodies??

I got an 400 series nib to put in my M205. That left me with a perfectly good M200 nib with no home. I put it in an Esterbrook pen holder for a Dip-Less set, where it worked quite well (although I have just de-inked that set and put it away for a while. I believe, though, that when I tried it in an Esterbrook J fountain pen, although it screwed in properly, the cap would no longer fit. Not entirely sure of that, and I'm not where I can try it again just now.

I'm guessing that you're thinking more of modern pens, anyway. I'll be curious to see what answers you get, although I'm not interested in acquiring more modern Pelikans (I might go for a second 140 at some point).
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

I've put vintage pelikan nibs (because I probably have more of these than anything else) into all sorts of things - including other vintage pens, modern ones, cheap Chinese ones and many in between. There's sometimes a bit of tweaking needed with feeds (I always keep some cheap ebonite feeds on hand for quick modifications as I find these easier to play with than plastic).

Good blog here (and far better written than my ramblings):

https://flexandotherfollies.wordpres...ping-a-primer/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I've put vintage pelikan nibs (because I probably have more of these than anything else) into all sorts of things - including other vintage pens, modern ones, cheap Chinese ones and many in between. There's sometimes a bit of tweaking needed with feeds (I always keep some cheap ebonite feeds on hand for quick modifications as I find these easier to play with than plastic).

Good blog here (and far better written than my ramblings):

https://flexandotherfollies.wordpres...ping-a-primer/
    Thanks. I知 wanting to put one into my Franklin christoph. I know flexible nib factory makes feeds and nib units for different nibs to fit into a standard jowo size 6 sized pen (which includes all Franklin Christophs)

Thanks

I sometimes use M2XX or M4XX nibs in Esterbrook vintage pens. The project farther in the Esterbrook sections than Esterbrook nibs do, but they are workable for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

spencerwilli (January 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I sometimes use M2XX or M4XX nibs in Esterbrook vintage pens. The project farther in the Esterbrook sections than Esterbrook nibs do, but they are workable for me.
    Thanks. I have a few of those laying around in a spare parts box

Thanks

A number of Indian pen manufacturers will adjust their standard models to take Pelikan nibs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    ...I put it in an Esterbrook pen holder for a Dip-Less set, where it worked quite well (although I have just de-inked that set and put it away for a while. I believe, though, that when I tried it in an Esterbrook J fountain pen, although it screwed in properly, the cap would no longer fit. Not entirely sure of that, and I'm not where I can try it again just now...
    It seems that either my memory was at fault, or there had been some other problem the first time. I tried putting my M200 nib in one of my Esterbrook Js. Not only did it fit well, but the cap tightens properly. I haven't actually tried inking it yet, as I have more than enough pens inked write now, but may do so when I empty something else.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have an M700 Toledo 18K 2-tone nib in an M215 Rings. I couldn't resist as someone was selling it for way less than the market value on eBay.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot