Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography - it's a start

Thanks
    Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,400 Posts

Default Re: Photography - it's a start

I don't want to make this a photo-critic thread, but this is an interesting exercise which shows why a single photo can be taken (presented) in different ways.

I disagree that photos with centered subject are *always* undesirable.

In this particular case, David's photo works as it was presented in the original post, because in addition to the "almost" centered rails, it has other elements that strengthen the composition.

Element #1: The two people in the "background". They provide a good "anchor" for the viewer's eyes.
    Element #2: The square metal plate (with 4 rivets or bolts) near the foreground.

The rail now becomes the connector between these two "anchors" and overall the composition makes for an interesting (as opposed to boring) image.

Another factor in composition is image ratio, which is how tall or wide a photograph is. If I were to present this photo, I'd crop it to 3:2 or maybe even 4:3, so it won't look as "tall".
    Last edited by penwash; January 7th, 2021 at 02:16 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,854 Times in 861 Posts

Will, the composition of that photograph was quite deliberate. I had to wait a while until some people walked into the position top left of the image. This idea was no doubt prompted by similar compositions I had seen elsewhere.

As far as cropping for 'tallness', that would probably eliminate the square metal plate bottom right. I understand that street photography is something of a compromise.

The criticism and advice here are really good, I'm learning lots. It's also gratifying that I managed to get some things almost right - some by design, and some by accident!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (January 11th, 2021), Yazeh (January 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Have a look at this vid, I am sure that there are many others but this is an 8 minute worthwhile watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM2fAvEYTAU

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Consider crouching or standing on something to alter your point of view. In the case of the rail lines and wooden planking, a lower perspective would emphasize interesting surface textures.
    Or go in close when there are strong patterns of light and shade, as on the wall of the steampunk building.
    I shall endeavour to engage my inner Federico Fellini

Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Consider crouching or standing on something to alter your point of view. In the case of the rail lines and wooden planking, a lower perspective would emphasize interesting surface textures.
    Or go in close when there are strong patterns of light and shade, as on the wall of the steampunk building.
    I shall endeavour to engage my inner Federico Fellini
    Looking forward to it.

Or whatever exponent of light, shade and composition inspires you.

Thanks

Had a chance to take the camera out in the campus. Lighting was not great, so just playing around with angles and settings. For now have the camera set F/5.6

These are not terribly interesting, seeing as they fall into the 'I'm experimenting' folder.

The central and original part of the University, shot taken from under some trees on the main lawn between the building and the river.

The Physics Department. The building in the previous photo has a large pedestrian through-way, and the original Physics block is on the inner side. This passage has several mature Magnolia trees and native NZ ferns and so on. It's rather pretty in the Spring.

I was almost on the floor taking this shot.

A colour view looking through the walkway.

At the moment I am trying to get in the habit of carrying the camera with me when I am out and about, and not worrying too much if a shot is especially interesting subject-wise. just getting used to taking pictures on the hoof as it were.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 11th, 2021), Dreck (January 11th, 2021), Malcolm (January 12th, 2021), Robert (January 23rd, 2021), Yazeh (January 11th, 2021)

Thanks

What are you trying to show in your photos? Do you have specific idea of what you want your images to look like? Are you shooting film or digital? Why do you work in black and white? Which is more important to you, the image or the process? These are fundamental questions to try and answer before you worry too much about the technical end of photography. Also, stop apologizing for your mistakes, just resolve to do better, and be honestly self-critical.

ISO _ International Standards Organization.
    ASA - American Standards Association
    Both organizations cerify that the sensitivity of the film/chip is accurately stated by the manufacturer.

Thanks

Digital. Not trying to show anything specific at this time.

Image or process? Not sure what you mean by what is more important to me. The end image obviously has to be appealing to me on some level of aesthetic. The process (taking the picture or post-processing?) is the vehicle.

As noted before, currently using aperture priority, letting the camera do the rest, but recently read an article that suggested f/5.6 as a happy medium for on the street.

Black & White versus colour? Tricky question. I like both, and find (oddly enough) that a good B&W photograph can still somehow convey colour. I also like the idea that B&W is less forgiving that colour and forces one to look at the scene with a more critical eye.

That I apologise for my mistakes means that I am being honestly critical! And this thread, along with other readings, will hopefully illuminate them more clearly as well as point to some solutions.

Incidentally, in the last photo above, the leaves of the trees are intentionally blurred. It may have worked better with different lighting.

Thanks

It might be an idea to find a pic that you like, think about why you like it and then try and recreate it.

Thanks

Not much chance to get out and about lately, but here's another experimental shot. Standing in the shadows.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

Been watching a lot of videos comparing the Fujifilm 100V and the Fujifilm X-E4. Both are very tempting, but the X-E4 is half the price and has the option of interchangeable lenses. Apparently the new pancake lens is really good too.

Edit: The Lumix DMC - TZ20 I am currently using is awkward in my large hands. Hard to grip.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; February 2nd, 2021 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks

You need to keep shooting what you find interesting. The questions i posed earlier are meant to make you think about why you are taking the photo. Once you have a clear objective then you can make the image in the manner you want. Accept that you are learning without apologizing. You are obviously showing work you think has merit. One of the best explanations regarding color or black and white I have found... I shoot color when I want to show you something. I shoot black and white when I want to tell you something. For street work, (if you are shooting at ISO 400) I would suggest f/8 for better depth-of-field. In street work you often do not have time for pinpoint focusing, so a little extra d-o-f can be helpful.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sphere For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 14th, 2021)